Hot Deals

[Best Buy] Chromecast Audio $20

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 16th, 2019 10:25 pm
Aug 30, 2007
267 posts
89 upvotes
Bought three this Christmas.

One for a niece, two for my kids. I can see the Chromecast wars starting... "Dad, Tell X to stop casting to my radio!"
Aug 30, 2007
267 posts
89 upvotes
DealPath wrote:
Dec 29th, 2018 7:02 am
Back in stock, in for two. Have been using Chromecast for audio casting and this thread has made me realize... Why? TV can be off.

An interesting idea... I have a ravpower file hub, which is a portable battery-powered wifi router with SD card slot (and can plug in external hard drive). If one has lossless audio locally stored, this could be a truly mobile wireless solution? Or does this device require internet to function at all?
To be honest, the RavPower File Hub looks like it can cast based off the specs found here: RAVPower Router page

It looks like they are both media streamers. The RP-WD03 indicates it can chromecast right on its page, the RP-WD007 indicates it can in its advanced user guide (Found under
resources).

I do not believe it should have a problem with casting without an internet connection as long as the Device you are using to control the chromecast, and the Chromecast itself are
on the same RAVPower wifi network.

https://lifehacker.com/stream-local-med ... 1709666323

Update note:

And then I found:
https://productforums.google.com/forum/ ... ODVBOJDQAJ
Nov 18, 2006
475 posts
134 upvotes
esoxhntr wrote:
Dec 21st, 2018 8:24 pm
For a hdmi equipped AVR like your 1712 (I have the 1713) just get a regular chromecast and connect via HDMI. The CC audio is useful for older receivers that dont have HDMI. You dont lose any functionality with the reg CC vs CC audio. Google recently 'unlocked' the regular CC and allowed it to be part of a whole home audio group
Thanks for this post - I saw it a bit ago and finally got around to figuring out how to connect my regular Chromecast to my Chromecast Audio group . Had to sign up for the Preview Program to get the proper firmware version to get it to work... Thanks!
Jul 31, 2017
31 posts
20 upvotes
mathomas wrote:
Jan 1st, 2019 2:57 pm
Thanks for this post - I saw it a bit ago and finally got around to figuring out how to connect my regular Chromecast to my Chromecast Audio group . Had to sign up for the Preview Program to get the proper firmware version to get it to work... Thanks!
Hey..im trying to get my Chromecasts onto my audio group as well. Just signed up to the preview program. How do I get the firmware to update manually?
Nov 18, 2006
475 posts
134 upvotes
mgmikhaiel636229308174932000 wrote:
Jan 1st, 2019 3:22 pm
Hey..im trying to get my Chromecasts onto my audio group as well. Just signed up to the preview program. How do I get the firmware to update manually?
I just had to reboot the Chromecast, and it showed up automagically in Google Home when creating a new group...
Sep 12, 2010
1 posts
9 upvotes
sold out online. but it seems have plenty in store. i just picked up one from Winston Churchill Mississauga location yesterday.
Jul 14, 2018
221 posts
121 upvotes
Kitchener-Waterloo
Can someone explain what the point of this thing is?

Thanks!
Main: i5 4570, GTX 960 4gb, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD + 120GB SSD, Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2, Logitech G502, Logitech Z623
Secondary: i5 6400, GTX 960 2gb, 12GB RAM, 2TB HDD, Razer Blackwidow 2013, Generic Logitech Mouse, Logitech K830
Nov 11, 2018
2 posts
NowJoJo wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 11:18 am

Thanks!
If you have speakers that are not connected to wifi or old speakers that don't have that built in functionality, this would allow it to do so.
Jul 14, 2018
221 posts
121 upvotes
Kitchener-Waterloo
shannonmah wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 11:24 am
If you have speakers that are not connected to wifi or old speakers that don't have that built in functionality, this would allow it to do so.
Hmm okay thanks for your help :)

Guess I'll pass on this
Main: i5 4570, GTX 960 4gb, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD + 120GB SSD, Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2, Logitech G502, Logitech Z623
Secondary: i5 6400, GTX 960 2gb, 12GB RAM, 2TB HDD, Razer Blackwidow 2013, Generic Logitech Mouse, Logitech K830
Mar 21, 2005
64 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
NowJoJo wrote:

Thanks!
Connects to an older stereo or anything with Audio Aux input and allows you to stream audio to it from chromecast enabled applications such as spotify or google play and many more. Works with wifi and not bluetooth, so range is not an issue.
Oct 22, 2018
3 posts
5 upvotes
NowJoJo wrote:
Lets you stream audio from your phone (spotify, Play, etc.) to audio equipment using wifi. Higher quality than bluetooth and range is only limited by your wifi. Sets up through Google Home and you can have multiple of them in different rooms. Has a 3.5mm/optical audio out. Sound quality is great and you can also set it that anyone connected to your wifi can control the music (almost like a "pass the aux" function). Think of it like a cheap add-on, if you already have a decent existing stereo lacking bluetooth/wifi.
Jul 16, 2017
33 posts
23 upvotes
HeadLikeAPingPongBall wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 11:29 am
Lets you stream audio from your phone (spotify, Play, etc.) to audio equipment using wifi. Higher quality than bluetooth and range is only limited by your wifi. Sets up through Google Home and you can have multiple of them in different rooms. Has a 3.5mm/optical audio out. Sound quality is great and you can also set it that anyone connected to your wifi can control the music (almost like a "pass the aux" function). Think of it like a cheap add-on, if you already have a decent existing stereo lacking bluetooth/wifi.
You can also set them up in groups to have audio broadcast simultaneously into different rooms for whole house audio. They are fantastic.

They integrate perfectly with Google Home, and the CCA's can be set as the default audio device, so when you ask to play music, it uses your good speakers, not the crummy ones in the Home-Mini.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2010
5265 posts
3074 upvotes
Mississauga
I have been using one since December on a non-bluetooth speaker and it has worked fine! Solid device. Good price.

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 2 guests)

GNKRFD