Expired Hot Deals

[Best Buy] Chromecast Audio $20

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 26th, 2019 12:32 pm
Jan 14, 2008
72 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
Just picked up 1 last week. It's connected to my Yamaha AVR via optical. Streaming Tidal from pc to my AVR. Nice little device, pleased so far!
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2008
2254 posts
744 upvotes
North York
note that it requires not only wifi but that that network be connected to the internet. found this to be a pain trying to use it in rural areas.
Dec 21, 2005
178 posts
69 upvotes
thanks, saw this for Black Friday at the same price but missed the boat. Picked one up as you cant go wrong at this price
Aug 10, 2017
56 posts
9 upvotes
had 2 issues with that. 1) android phone, you need to use play app (not other players!) and you cannot play music or audiobooks that already on your phone!
2) win10 pc, limited to broadcast only using chrome, it sometimes doesn't see speakers. Need to restart the pc :( .
Also cannot play any other audio (limited to everything you can play in chrome browser), while with Bluetooth you can broadcast anything
Jan 7, 2019
1 posts
ed7258 wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 8:49 pm
had 2 issues with that. 1) android phone, you need to use play app (not other players!) and you cannot play music or audiobooks that already on your phone!
2) win10 pc, limited to broadcast only using chrome, it sometimes doesn't see speakers. Need to restart the pc :( .
Also cannot play any other audio (limited to everything you can play in chrome browser), while with Bluetooth you can broadcast anything
Spotify and apps like castbox work fine. You can also cast directly from Android device and send all audio from any app
Dec 17, 2015
458 posts
154 upvotes
York, ON
Couldnt figure how to use it with iPhone. So I just uploaded my songs and playlist to google play music.
Aug 10, 2017
56 posts
9 upvotes
Alex360 wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 9:11 pm
Couldnt figure how to use it with iPhone. So I just uploaded my songs and playlist to google play music.
had the same issue with Android
Aug 10, 2017
56 posts
9 upvotes
eyeheartpixels40 wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 9:02 pm
Spotify and apps like castbox work fine. You can also cast directly from Android device and send all audio from any app
I use Music folder app for audiobooks, could you please educate me how I can broadcast the audio with this or any other app from my Android cellphone (audio is stored on my cellphone)?
Feb 18, 2018
402 posts
584 upvotes
Lol this sale has been on since mid November when will it end lol
Feb 26, 2017
137 posts
61 upvotes
Two questions before I buy it:

1) How do you connect this thing to your home wifi? It doesn't have any display or input.

2) My car has aux input. Can I use this thing in the car and pair it with my cellphone that has data for listening to internet stream or youtube on the road?

Thanks.
Dec 27, 2006
134 posts
36 upvotes
chateauguay, Québec
[/quote] You can also cast directly from Android device and send all audio from any app
[/quote]

I don't think so. you can't cast from just any apps. many if not most audio apps don't have casting built in. I wish I was wrong and that you can explain how you get ANY music app to cast. I'm use JetAudio Pro for android.
Dec 28, 2006
834 posts
641 upvotes
Figman2 wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 11:18 pm
Two questions before I buy it:

1) How do you connect this thing to your home wifi? It doesn't have any display or input.

2) My car has aux input. Can I use this thing in the car and pair it with my cellphone that has data for listening to internet stream or youtube on the road?

Thanks.
The setup is through the Google home app.

Technically, you can setup a wifi network in your car with the hotspot function on your phone. But I think it is easier and cheaper to use a audio cable to connect your phone to the aux input. If your phone does not have a headphone jack, you should consider a Bluetooth adapter which will have a build-in battery, so you don't need another cable to power it. Just my 2c.
Feb 26, 2017
137 posts
61 upvotes
Keny wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 11:57 pm
The setup is through the Google home app.

Technically, you can setup a wifi network in your car with the hotspot function on your phone. But I think it is easier and cheaper to use a audio cable to connect your phone to the aux input. If your phone does not have a headphone jack, you should consider a Bluetooth adapter which will have a build-in battery, so you don't need another cable to power it. Just my 2c.
So I would need some other Google home device to connect this thing to home wifi?

With the car, I forgot about the traditional way completely :) .. a cable works well. Even with newer iPhone, bluetooth adaptor is a better choice.