[Best Buy] Chromecast Audio $20

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 16th, 2019 10:25 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2017
1198 posts
699 upvotes
Waterloo
Anyone had issue with these connecting? I could not get it to connect to my tp link decos at all. No issues with other smart devices at home (Google homes, smart bulbs, nanoleaf, nest).
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2002
5962 posts
1759 upvotes
Toronto
NowJoJo wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 11:18 am
Can someone explain what the point of this thing is?

Thanks!
https://www.google.com/chromecast/audio/explore/

Turns any speaker with audio input into a wifi speaker where you can play music from your phone. No range issues like BT as long as you're on the same wifi network.

Similar to Chromecast dongle for the TV, except it's audio for your speaker / stereo.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2002
5962 posts
1759 upvotes
Toronto
Sicklyslick wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 1:16 am
Anyone had issue with these connecting? I could not get it to connect to my tp link decos at all. No issues with other smart devices at home (Google homes, smart bulbs, nanoleaf, nest).
Might want to try a hard reset, hold the button until it turns white then start the pairing over again in the Home app.
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2004
3818 posts
429 upvotes
Toronto
Today's news, the chromecast audio is being discontinued.
Last edited by rui on Jan 11th, 2019 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heatware

Go Portugal Go
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2012
1472 posts
823 upvotes
rui wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 1:15 pm
Today's news, the chromecast is being discontinued.
You mean the Chromecast Audio.
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2004
3818 posts
429 upvotes
Toronto
Chewfam wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 1:19 pm
You mean the Chromecast Audio.
Sorry, typo. Smiling Face With Open Mouth

I got one and set it up with a sony stereo system, using plex to cast local music that I had for years, most of them are heavy metal stuff.
Heatware

Go Portugal Go
Sep 13, 2015
437 posts
310 upvotes
Alberta
rui wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 1:15 pm
Today's news, the chromecast is being discontinued.
I suspected this would happen after seeing the price drop. It's not really needed with the normal chromecasts supporting multi-room audio. The CC audio was a nice device to bring more functionality to older speakers, but all the money is in selling NEW speakers with CC built in.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3378 posts
2282 upvotes
In view of the ongoing price drop I suspected that Google might plan to discontinue it. They say that they'll keep supporting it, but you know Google's track record on abandoning products...

I briefly considered getting one when they were on sale last year, but instead I took an old Chromecast video, added a cheap HDMI audio splitter that cost a couple of $ from AliExpress, and plugged it into my stereo sound system that way. No TV/monitor needed. But I added an old monitor, and now I get images along with the sound (album covers, artist + title information displayed etc., or video from Youtube/Vevo).
Nov 26, 2003
732 posts
1087 upvotes
Toronto
Exp315 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 1:52 pm
In view of the ongoing price drop I suspected that Google might plan to discontinue it. They say that they'll keep supporting it, but you know Google's track record on abandoning products...

I briefly considered getting one when they were on sale last year, but instead I took an old Chromecast video, added a cheap HDMI audio splitter that cost a couple of $ from AliExpress, and plugged it into my stereo sound system that way. No TV/monitor needed. But I added an old monitor, and now I get images along with the sound (album covers, artist + title information displayed etc., or video from Youtube/Vevo).
yup, discontinued.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/01/1 ... e-you-can/
If you're replying to people without quoting them, it's no different than talking to yourself...
Nov 7, 2014
556 posts
218 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Another half baked potato bites the dust. I wonder if there is any chance they will add a 3.5mm audio jack to the regular chromecast...
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2015
1882 posts
827 upvotes
Cochrane, AB
panckage wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 4:18 pm
Another half baked potato bites the dust. I wonder if there is any chance they will add a 3.5mm audio jack to the regular chromecast...
Fat chance. Google will kill off the regular Chromecast simply because you can buy some TVs with it built in, ignoring every other new TV or existing TV. I'm officially moving to Amazon products and software.
Mar 5, 2006
993 posts
274 upvotes
Toronto
Google Home Max -> Google Home -> Google Home Mini -> Going along their Google Assist train, maybe they'll have a Google Home Nil that has no speakers and 3.5mm jack to replace thisFace With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 2 guests)

tr0o