Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2006
1980 posts
263 upvotes
Ottawa

CIA/3Web Cable internet opinion?

With all the cafufle over Bell throttling everyone and Rogers being up to their usual dickery, I heard allot of talk of people thinking of switching to 3Web cable internet, as they're the only third party cable internet provider available in most places.

I purchased a house in a new neighbourhood and found out I may not have bell phone line access. After inquiries, I found out that this is now allowed since they deregulated phone service 3 years ago. So I'm essentially stuck with a monopoly for my tv (the condo won't allow satelite dishes), internet and phone (Rogers is the only option). I've contacted the councilor of my new ward and expressed my dissapointment that I will not have bell phone lines layed to my house, she seems to be helpful and looking into it, but I don't know what will come of it.

I use my cellphone for most of my calling so I don't care that much about phone service and I was going to conceed to the cable TV and buy the minimum package that gets me HD, as OTA is sparse in Ottawa.

I just refuse to use Rogers for my internet, I hate their business practices in this avenue and everything they stand for, I likewise wouldn't go with bell, but at least you have more options for 3rd party with bell phone lines.

I think I'm stuck with CIA/3Web cable, and as much as I've heard their service is horrible, I think they may be better than Rogers.

I just wanted to hear peoples opinions on CIA/3Web Cable internet? If you signed up with 3Web cable internet, how big of a hastle was it to sign up? Did you already have Rogers cable internet? How big of a haslte is it when you have problems? Are there many problems?

Any answers would be appreciated.
75 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2004
2197 posts
They are $40 million in the hole, as of several months ago, mainly from crazy acquisitions of smaller ISPs.

Looking at their financial statements on their website, you can see that their revenue is also declining.

Bottom line is that 3web/cybersurf might not be a going-concern for much longer.
Apr 30, 2008
56 posts
Toronto
Today I helped my neighbor fix his computer and he was using CIA/3Web High Speed Internet.

He told me that there was minor hassle when setting up the internet (kept calling them to activate his ID/PW) which took a few days. But no problems afterward.

The Internet has decent speed and I've tested it out. However, I noticed there was some kind of advertisement BANNER on the top when connected to the Internet and he's paying approximately $26 a month.

I have Rogers Internet and their service is pretty good once in a while. And yes I hate the 'download limit' thing.

I heard many people are signing up for "Tek Savey Internet" or something. Unlimited download.

SAN66 wrote: With all the cafufle over Bell throttling everyone and Rogers being up to their usual dickery, I heard allot of talk of people thinking of switching to 3Web cable internet, as they're the only third party cable internet provider available in most places.

I purchased a house in a new neighbourhood and found out I may not have bell phone line access. After inquiries, I found out that this is now allowed since they deregulated phone service 3 years ago. So I'm essentially stuck with a monopoly for my tv (the condo won't allow satelite dishes), internet and phone (Rogers is the only option). I've contacted the councilor of my new ward and expressed my dissapointment that I will not have bell phone lines layed to my house, she seems to be helpful and looking into it, but I don't know what will come of it.

I use my cellphone for most of my calling so I don't care that much about phone service and I was going to conceed to the cable TV and buy the minimum package that gets me HD, as OTA is sparse in Ottawa.

I just refuse to use Rogers for my internet, I hate their business practices in this avenue and everything they stand for, I likewise wouldn't go with bell, but at least you have more options for 3rd party with bell phone lines.

I think I'm stuck with CIA/3Web cable, and as much as I've heard their service is horrible, I think they may be better than Rogers.

I just wanted to hear peoples opinions on CIA/3Web Cable internet? If you signed up with 3Web cable internet, how big of a hastle was it to sign up? Did you already have Rogers cable internet? How big of a haslte is it when you have problems? Are there many problems?

Any answers would be appreciated.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13838 posts
5542 upvotes
Ontario
www.Teksavvy.com

They provide, DSL Internet & Home Phone look into them Very good company,

Forum: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/teksavvy
Download Speed: Up to 5mbit (about 520kbps)
Upload Speed: Up To 800kbps
Download/Upload Cap: 200GB/Month
Price: $29.95/Month + Tax

They also got Unlimited Bandwidth for $39.95/month but 200gb is probably enough. Also for every person you refer you get $1 off
your monthly bill as long as they are still a client at Teksavvy.

You will need to buy a DSL Modem, you can buy one from Teksavvy for $99 & they will configure it for you if you ask. OR you can
buy the same modem from these guys for cheaper but you have to configure it yourself, which is not very hard.

SpeedTouch 516 ADSL2+ Modem: http://www.infonec.com/site/main.php?mo ... &id=350362

Notes: Tech support is all Ontario based not out sourced to another country where you cant understand what the person is saying.
Also tech support is one of the best of any Internet Company in Ontario that I know of.

Reviews On Company: http://www.dslreports.com/comments/2564

If you need more info just pm me =)
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2006
1980 posts
263 upvotes
Ottawa
I guess people don't read my actual post in that I won't have a phone line hooked up to my house and can't get DSL?

I love Teksavvy, have them now, but can't get them if I don't have a phone line hooked up to my house.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2006
1333 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Assuming I've read your post correctly, you're SOL. The choices you've decided on make 3web your only choice unless there is a small cable ISP generally unknown to the vast majority of ottawa. However, I'd think the latter is highly unlikely considering the willingness of many people willing to jump the Rogers/Bell bedroom.

From what I've read from here and DSLreports, they're a decent company as far as providing speed and uptime however, company contact is abysmal whether it be through calling or email.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13838 posts
5542 upvotes
Ontario
SAN66 wrote: I guess people don't read my actual post in that I won't have a phone line hooked up to my house and can't get DSL?

I love Teksavvy, have them now, but can't get them if I don't have a phone line hooked up to my house.
I thin kyou can still get teksavvy because rogers would be providing you a phone line IF you wanted one. The only thing is you would end up having to get a DRY-DSL Line.

Give teksavvy a call and make sure.
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
13184 posts
7570 upvotes
Kanata
where is this new neighbourhood in Ottawa?

I've been on 3Web for some 4 years now, and it's been good. Very low downtime (no more than Rogers for me). I'm not throttled in my area (kanata) as of yet.

Contacting them, can be very frustrating. Good thing is, I have not had to do that much. Been at my current residence for around 2 years now, have had to contact them twice (once since installation, one for installation). Nothing in between. Speeds are good (800kBps sustained but that will depend on the servers you are connecting to as well).
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2006
1980 posts
263 upvotes
Ottawa
The neighbourhood is chapman mills in barrhaven. The irony is that there's a Bell world right around the corner, like a 5 minute walk away.

As far as I understand it, the only home phone service available to me is Rogers phone over cable, which won't work with DSL.
Feb 8, 2009
1 posts
They are horrible.

I had the cable service from them, and they oversold the network.

I was buying 8 Mbps, and during the evenings I was getting 0.1 Mbs with extremely high latency.

I gave them a week to fix the issue, their solution was to offer me ADSL, which doesn't work in my area.

Completely useless, no refund for the wasted time.

Switched back to Rogers internet, still cable, same house, same modem, 8Mbps same time of day. Problem solved.
May 6, 2009
2 posts
ottawa
If anyone is silly like me who wants to give this "sick" company a change for dsl, cable and void service, DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK! From the beginning to the end, this cia, 3web, cybersurf is a true piercing nightmare.
FACT: I did not save any money in the long run.
FACT: I should have been ready for a blackout for days, weeks...
FACT: They go months without charging me specific fees, then suddenly I have deductions without my consent.
FACT:I had a human to speak with only after OVER 45mins till forever hours waiting for customer service. (1 out of a 100 chance I had someone answer my call within 15 mins) good luck....2009 04 07 from the past to the present.
FACT: I dumped CIA and still trying to cancel my account!!
FACT: I cancel and cancel but it seems they never go away... bills and bills! having to deal with them is a piercing nightmare with no hope. No longer being a customer, the reps/operators hang up on me. They did not want to deal with my recurring problems that they had created. (not as if i never got hang up on, even when a was paying customer)
FACT: I had to play by their rules, and their ethics or I would be hung up on constantly. But I found no ethics or rules apply for them.
Fact: I should of searched on the web or checked BBB for others experiences.
Fact:My case of problems were not isolated, as much as they try to convince me I was the only person with phone problems and internet.
Fact: I also recommended some friends to sign up for CIA 39.5 per month, all 3 are bitter with their experiences. (How embarrassing)
FACT: I should have prepared myself with 2 phone lines, as CIA is constantly down or in need of modem rebooting (unplugging modem for at least 10 secs.)

3Web, CIA, cybersurf will make ANY excuse under the sun, for their incompetent and lack of equipment to offer you a reliable service.
I personally feel someone or groups should legally sue this company for their awful ways of business. I feel sorry for the next victims or for the present clients who are stuck. If you feel like me and feel something needs to be done, feel free to contact me at 613-366-4030 and leave a message with your personal experiences, or any ideas to help/inform people avoid the same situations.
Nov 23, 2004
719 posts
21 upvotes
Quarry Bay
I realize that a lot of people have problems with CIA. I've dealt with them on 2 occasions - now and in the past, and now it's a very good experience. The wait times on the phone now are pretty short.

[IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/468181705.png[/IMG]

Speed tests are fine, and this is with a Slingcatcher eating up bandwidth already.

Not many people write reviews when things are working fine, so this is just my side of the story.

- Jason
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
4231 posts
1218 upvotes
jyeung wrote: I realize that a lot of people have problems with CIA. I've dealt with them on 2 occasions - now and in the past, and now it's a very good experience. The wait times on the phone now are pretty short.

[IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/468181705.png[/IMG]

Speed tests are fine, and this is with a Slingcatcher eating up bandwidth already.

Not many people write reviews when things are working fine, so this is just my side of the story.

- Jason
I agree not many ppl bother to write good reviews. But I do believe it takes a long time to get in touch with them. About one and a half year ago I was dumping Roger because they introduced the cap and I sent 3WEB an email. Guess what.. the reply came back a month later after I got my DSL.

I'm wondering if they have caps as well.
FS : Promise NS4300N NAS,Linksys RE400W,E5151,HBB1,VIVOTab RT,MemoPad 8
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2004
2197 posts
3web/cybersurf is now owned by a quebec company, they changed ownership a few weeks ago.

As of right now there are no caps, but the old pages from 3web saying download as much as you like are gone. The business internet account they are offering shows a cap of 60gigs. It wont be long before they install caps for residential as well. However, it took close to a year for Rogers to get their cap meters working so who knows.

If history offers any clue, typically a business account would have a higher cap than a residential, and they said a cap of 60 gigs for their commercial account..
Dec 15, 2002
148 posts
7 upvotes
Ottawa
I've been using 3web Cable in Ottawa for close to 3 years, and 3web DSL for 1 year before that.

In Ottawa, the cable network is superb and SEPERATE from Rogers. Speeds are generally great and downtime (for me) has been close to 0%. The only times it has noticeably been out, the Rogers cable TV has also been down. The most important advantages of 3web over Rogers - No caps, and no torrent throttling. Not bad for $33/month. The no caps could of course change.. but I'm happy downloading 100+ GB/month without issues right now.

The only times I've had issues are when I switched from DSL to cable, or when I moved. But I lay most of the blame on the moving on Rogers, who are the ones who schedule the installations (and try to screw 3web customers). It is true that you could be on hold for over an hour if you have to call in, which sucks... but in 4 years of service, I've called in twice.

FYI my service was in the Carlingwood area and now in Centretown..

99% of the bad reviews for 3web cable come from TORONTO area. In Toronto, 3web uses Rogers' network and/or a subpar network of their own. This is where all the bad reputation came from. Problems with the network = calls to the support line = bogged down support line = long wait times = pissed off people.

I say 3web since I signed up under the 3web name. Whatever they're called now, I guess its CIA..
May 12, 2009
4 posts
Ontario
Hi,

I used to be with 3Web before using their DSL service and long distance phone plan which I love. I have the 3Mbps service. I also loved the unlimited cap which meant I could download anything unlimited. I then got fed up with the downtimes and turned to Cogeco and got a bundle with phone, TV and internet.

I hate the 10/20GB limit and the service keeps dropping from time to time. I was looking to find someone else but seem to find that 3Web offers the best service right now. I tried going to their old sites to find their plans but they don't seem to work. Anyone know how I can see the speeds and or bandwidth limit, I hope it is still unlimited; as some ppl have been saying here that there is or could be a cap.
May 12, 2009
124 posts
Markham
I couldn't sit around without writing my opinion about this company -it is and has been a complete nightmare for me!

I have had issues with them from technical to billing (as in overbilling) to customer service (which is absent). I had to close my credit card because they kept billing me even after I cancelled my services. And now they came back to me saying that I had an overdue balance on the account because they had not cancelled it when requested. And of course, after waiting for hours (I would literally watch a movie and leave my phone on speakerphone being on the "queue" for an attendant) and not getting any response after 3hours on the phone, how can one clarify billing matters, or solve technical issues.

The worst company ever that I have dealt with. Very unprofessional, impolite, and they have no standard of service whatsoever. I would not want to put myself through that nightmare again. I do hope that they go under as they do not deserve to still be in the business.

As I am the type of person who reads other people's reviews in this forum and elsewhere for different purchases, I would want other people to have access to my experience with 3web and weigh their options well. And one more thing, if in the end you do decide to go with them, CHECK YOUR BILL EVERY MONTH AND MAKE SURE THEY ARE NOT OVERBILLING AS IT USED TO HAPPEN OFTEN.
Jun 25, 2005
849 posts
522 upvotes
romano wrote: I've been using 3web Cable in Ottawa for close to 3 years, and 3web DSL for 1 year before that.

In Ottawa, the cable network is superb and SEPERATE from Rogers. Speeds are generally great and downtime (for me) has been close to 0%. The only times it has noticeably been out, the Rogers cable TV has also been down. The most important advantages of 3web over Rogers - No caps, and no torrent throttling. Not bad for $33/month. The no caps could of course change.. but I'm happy downloading 100+ GB/month without issues right now.

The only times I've had issues are when I switched from DSL to cable, or when I moved. But I lay most of the blame on the moving on Rogers, who are the ones who schedule the installations (and try to screw 3web customers). It is true that you could be on hold for over an hour if you have to call in, which sucks... but in 4 years of service, I've called in twice.

FYI my service was in the Carlingwood area and now in Centretown..

99% of the bad reviews for 3web cable come from TORONTO area. In Toronto, 3web uses Rogers' network and/or a subpar network of their own. This is where all the bad reputation came from. Problems with the network = calls to the support line = bogged down support line = long wait times = pissed off people.

I say 3web since I signed up under the 3web name. Whatever they're called now, I guess its CIA..
Thanks I've always though about switching but the bad reviews stopped me. I live in Ottawa as well so I might take the plunge. Rogers is reliable but I'm running into the upper limit of the download cap now that I'm getting more HD content.

Do they have an equivalent plan to the Rogers "extreme" 10mbit connection? If so, what's the price on that?
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2008
1418 posts
570 upvotes
Avoid CIA/3web like the swine virus.. CRAPPY service and company.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)