CIA/3Web Cable internet opinion?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 1st, 2011 12:28 pm
Tags:
None
Oct 2, 2006
124 posts
6 upvotes
usdm_b18 wrote: Just another update -- thanks 3web for the blazing fast "Gold" service.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/519069023.png (Down 1.36mbs Up .5)
http://www.speedtest.net/result/519069989.png (Down 1.22mbs Up .5)
http://www.speedtest.net/result/519071713.png (Down 1.04mbs Up .5)

Tracing route to www.l.google.com [74.125.47.105]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

Tracing route to www.l.google.com [74.125.47.105]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.1
2 180 ms 129 ms 129 ms 10.110.20.129
3 * * * Request timed out.
4 8 ms 8 ms 7 ms hs.209195070090.cybersurf.com [209.195.70.90]
5 43 ms 44 ms 44 ms host89-70.unused.cyberus.ca [209.195.70.89]
6 44 ms 42 ms * border2.tor.cia.com [216.58.0.2]
7 43 ms 43 ms 41 ms border4.tor.cia.com [216.58.0.4]
8 42 ms 44 ms 43 ms 198.32.245.6
9 45 ms 43 ms 44 ms 216.239.47.114
10 45 ms 44 ms 47 ms 66.249.94.79
11 59 ms 60 ms 60 ms 72.14.236.21
12 77 ms 78 ms 76 ms 72.14.239.90
13 77 ms * 78 ms 209.85.254.243
14 93 ms 86 ms 77 ms 209.85.253.157
15 78 ms 74 ms 76 ms yw-in-f105.google.com [74.125.47.105]

Trace complete.
:evil:
Are you using Cable or DSL?
Apr 21, 2006
685 posts
24 upvotes
Scarborough
HORRIBLE COMPANY!

Anytime you call them about a problem, they blame it on rogers, and once even blamed it on me.

I had their service for 4 months after I found out that the problem they were looking at (my 1mbps speeds after 8 pm) and were trying to fix was a problem that most of their customers were having.

Swtiched back to rogers. May be expensive but theyre CS cannot be beat.
And then God said, "John, come forth, and receive eternal life..." But John came fifth, and got a toaster. :D
Aug 8, 2009
1 posts
before2012 wrote: If anyone is silly like me who wants to give this "sick" company a change for dsl, cable and void service, DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK! From the beginning to the end, this cia, 3web, cybersurf is a true piercing nightmare.
FACT: I did not save any money in the long run.
FACT: I should have been ready for a blackout for days, weeks...
FACT: They go months without charging me specific fees, then suddenly I have deductions without my consent.
FACT:I had a human to speak with only after OVER 45mins till forever hours waiting for customer service. (1 out of a 100 chance I had someone answer my call within 15 mins) good luck....2009 04 07 from the past to the present.
FACT: I dumped CIA and still trying to cancel my account!!
FACT: I cancel and cancel but it seems they never go away... bills and bills! having to deal with them is a piercing nightmare with no hope. No longer being a customer, the reps/operators hang up on me. They did not want to deal with my recurring problems that they had created. (not as if i never got hang up on, even when a was paying customer)
FACT: I had to play by their rules, and their ethics or I would be hung up on constantly. But I found no ethics or rules apply for them.
Fact: I should of searched on the web or checked BBB for others experiences.
Fact:My case of problems were not isolated, as much as they try to convince me I was the only person with phone problems and internet.
Fact: I also recommended some friends to sign up for CIA 39.5 per month, all 3 are bitter with their experiences. (How embarrassing)
FACT: I should have prepared myself with 2 phone lines, as CIA is constantly down or in need of modem rebooting (unplugging modem for at least 10 secs.)

3Web, CIA, cybersurf will make ANY excuse under the sun, for their incompetent and lack of equipment to offer you a reliable service.
I personally feel someone or groups should legally sue this company for their awful ways of business. I feel sorry for the next victims or for the present clients who are stuck. If you feel like me and feel something needs to be done, feel free to contact me at 613-366-4030 and leave a message with your personal experiences, or any ideas to help/inform people avoid the same situations.
Yes, I had a few problems with CIA at the beginning, but I have had absolutely perfect DSL / Phone service for over 6 months - not 1 second of downtime. You sound like you may not be technically able to configure the hardware. This I can see being frusterating as you may have to call their 1st level help desk a bunch of times so they can teach you how to configure basic DSL hardware. There service is up and running, so it must be you.
39.95 for DSL and Home Phone still cannot be beat as far as I know. I have never received any other charges - only super reasonable (3 cents a minute) long distance charges and as expected. We are on the same billing system, so
I think you were getting charged right, buddy. I have many friends using CIA without a problem. I suggest you learn how to use the hardware before you jump in - if you had fun with CIA, you will like Rogers or Bell (or anyone else).
I think a Bell Land line would be best for you.
Nov 23, 2004
719 posts
21 upvotes
Quarry Bay
student wrote: If you switch over to CIA Digital phone and internet service would you be able to keep your old Bell phone number? Is there any complications or extra charges if you take Dsl since dry loop is needed.
I think it's another $8 for dry loop. Yes, you can port your number to their digital phone service.

- Jason
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2005
1166 posts
1 upvote
Mississauga
if you sign up for digital home phone line service do you get to choose between dsl/cable or do they make you take dsl?
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2004
15993 posts
7449 upvotes
RFD
I've finally decided to cancel all my 3web services (DSL + long distance). I couldnt reach those fools for 2 days...

Anyway just to inform you of how shoddy they really are...Its not even the end of November yet and when I said that I wanted to cancel my DSL + LD immediately, the rep says that he can only disconnect my DSL by the end of December. WTF! Basically they milk one extra month of charges off you. :mad:

Long distance he says he can't disconnect. He said that I have to call Bell and get their LD service and it'll remove 3Web LD from my line.

I have to send back the modem to their Thunderbay location out of my pocket. I read horror stories where ppl's modem were sent back but 3web supposedly never got them and then proceeded to charge them to buy the modem.

UGGHHHH why do they make things so difficult. :mad: :mad: :mad:

At the end of December, they better not be charging me extra. I'm gonna change my CC # to protect myself.

I'm glad I am stopping all 3web services and I hope it goes smoothly. I will never ever use Cybersurf again.
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2008
2033 posts
688 upvotes
Ottawa
Horrible speed. Timeout all the time while you browse at nite when you really need to use it. Read the Broadband.org report on them.
Jan 15, 2010
1 posts
Today, my 3web cable service was finally restored. It was down for more than 3 days. I lost business and lost money on stock markets because of no access to internet.

The technical people on the phone are not technical but professional speakers.
They did not care about my situation. They told me the supervisor would call me. The supervisor never called. Very difficult to get to their supervisors and management to resolve issues. When I got a hold of the supervisor ( purely by luck) yesterday Jan 14, he told me the whole Calgary 3web was out of service. I know that was BS. That was the way he wanted to make me feel better, by telling me I am not suffering alone.

My 3 web experience is not pleasant at all. Phone call wait time has improved lately. But the quality of response, the actual response to problem solving, and response time still suck! > :( > :(
It is not working for me.
Feb 28, 2008
3 posts
I have been with them since the start on DSL. Now my speedtest is about 1.2M. I'm looking for a good and cheap DSL isp to switch. I'm sick of 3WEB. :(
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2009
1184 posts
40 upvotes
I read above and kick 3web out of my waiting list now
Jan 14, 2005
396 posts
166 upvotes
Brampton
I have 3wbe dsl service for the last 5 years. internet was slow. I called It was working fine. Only lasy November I noticed that support and they sent me email to do speed tests etc and email back to their tier2 team. I am getting 1.2mb speed. it used to be 4.5 to 5 mb before. They opened a ticket and one time got a phone call from tier 2 team that they were looking into the problem. I called them back in mid December then they told me they were upgrading wiring in my area which is a BS. I live in new area. They promised that it would be fixed by December 31, 2009. Now it Feb 9, 2010 still no improvement.
Dec 7, 2008
73 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
I have 3web for about 1 and half years and I cant complain. no cap no throtling bill comes outomaticly every month. I'm satisfied, however if they dare to put cap I will find another isp.
Jan 14, 2008
30 posts
2 upvotes
Brampton
anyone use their service called Premium Digital Home Phone with Free High Speed Internet
it includes home phone + internet upto 10mbps = $39.95 .. not bad.

i have the high speed dsl right now and have been using them for the past 4 yrs with no problem ever! last time i had an issue with them was probably when i was setting up the new connection but that got resolved because bell had to come to my house and do something to the box down my street and after that i never had to call them.
just curious how there home phone service is..

link http://www.cia.com/products/phoneBasic.html
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2008
2033 posts
688 upvotes
Ottawa
Ottawa speed at night is like lottery. one in 14 days you may get a 4K speed otherwise after 5pm it is around 1.4M . after 8pm, it may be crawling most of the time.

I think #web is rotating the speed quota in the Ottawa area. The Toronto hub usually standing still when I do a tracert.
Dec 23, 2004
256 posts
31 upvotes
Nepean
CF77 wrote: Ottawa speed at night is like lottery. one in 14 days you may get a 4K speed otherwise after 5pm it is around 1.4M . after 8pm, it may be crawling most of the time.

I think #web is rotating the speed quota in the Ottawa area. The Toronto hub usually standing still when I do a tracert.
My pings to Toronto ranged from at best 35ms, to 105 ms. Their network can't handle the capacity in the evenings. I just switched to Teksavvy - my pings are 19ms!
Mar 3, 2010
1 posts
Please save yourself the hassle with signing up with this company...believe me you do not save any $$. Through all the aggravation and frustration you have to deal with it is not worth it..not even close! Believe me I'm the type of person who is always looking for a great deal but this is not one of them! I would be happy to pay more to get the right service. Since I've signed up with them there's been nothing but hassles...and when you call to bring up your issues with them they HANG UP ON YOU!!! believe me once they have your $ your done!
Specifically here is a supervisor we just spoke to and HE HUNG UP ON US!

Brian - supervisor help desk - Employee # 1408 <Supervisor who hung up on me!!! Now that's quality service!

I would love to be able to file a law suite against this company! I signed up for high speed cable and have never received the speeds they say it "can go up to". Highest download speed is 1.77 and my lowest was 0.96! when i called to complain about the speeds they said " were sorry we say the highest speeds you can get is up to 10mb!

[IMG]http://3webGARBAGE.JPG[/IMG]
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2003
2643 posts
20 upvotes
for the dsl speeds, you can't do nothing. I was getting 1.2 with teksavvy, switch to bell, they move my line, then suddenly i was getting 6 megs with my last week with tek savvy, left bell for cia and getting 4 megs. If bell doesn't move your line, your screwed no matter what.
May 15, 2010
1 posts
Ottawa
I heard through the grape vines that these guys are no longer in business... is that true?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)