Computers & Electronics

CIA/3Web Cable internet opinion?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 1st, 2011 12:28 pm
Tags:
None
Feb 10, 2010
1 posts
Constant connection problems with 3web/cia. Forget getting a refund for downtime. They suddenly did not have "any records" of my countless helpdesk tickets when i asked.

By the way, my internet is currently down and i'm using a friends computer to type this....3 days and counting.

1 week of downtime this month alone... :mad:
Mar 9, 2010
19 posts
ottawa
hmm my take is that if you're in ottawa / quebec area you're doing fine. I have a friend that's been using 3web for a few years and it's been pretty steady and never had to call in for support. No evening issues of it being slow either.
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1617 upvotes
North York
for the same price op you can get teksavvy cable.
better ip transit.
better ping.
better support.

just my 2 cents.
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2003
2555 posts
156 upvotes
infamouskid wrote: for the same price op you can get teksavvy cable.
better ip transit.
better ping.
better support.

just my 2 cents.
Yeah good suggestion.. except that the OP is in OTTAWA where there is no TekSavvy Cable yet.
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2008
2033 posts
688 upvotes
Ottawa
cia/3Web improved quite a bit in Ottawa area. however, the problem I see is the Roger connection when I do a tracert. It takes too long for the Rogers hub. I bet Rogers is throttling everyone.

I had Tek Savy before in Ottawa, Bell line has bad connections. I pay for high speed and get modem speed.

Bottom line is CRTC regulation is not help consumers as the infrastructure holders such as Bell and Rogers are limiting you if you are buying from third parties.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2007
2153 posts
225 upvotes
Toronto
Does 3web's cable transmit any TV channels? I know that Rogers high speed internet does have some channels if you connect the cable to TV
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
13184 posts
7570 upvotes
Kanata
CF77 wrote: cia/3Web improved quite a bit in Ottawa area. however, the problem I see is the Roger connection when I do a tracert. It takes too long for the Rogers hub. I bet Rogers is throttling everyone.

I had Tek Savy before in Ottawa, Bell line has bad connections. I pay for high speed and get modem speed.

Bottom line is CRTC regulation is not help consumers as the infrastructure holders such as Bell and Rogers are limiting you if you are buying from third parties.

I see the same thing.
However, no complaints thus far, service has been reliable (probably 99% since I've been using them, 2006).
Speed is great, 1.1MB/sec down. I can still surf the internet as well without feeling like on 56k while the 1.1MByte downloads are occuring.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
1990 posts
541 upvotes
Markham
I've had great success w/ both Acanac DSL & CIA DSL, but for price purposes I'm currently using CIA DSL w/ my own modem. The problem is that I'm moving down the street in a couple of months and CIA has informed me of a $24.95 move order fee. Since CIA DSL doesn't charge installation fees I wasn't expecting move fees. I have enough fees associated with my upcoming move and was hoping to just change providers. Are there any other DSL providers as cheap as CIA???
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2006
2820 posts
985 upvotes
GTA
JohnyBGood wrote: I've had great success w/ both Acanac DSL & CIA DSL, but for price purposes I'm currently using CIA DSL w/ my own modem. The problem is that I'm moving down the street in a couple of months and CIA has informed me of a $24.95 move order fee. Since CIA DSL doesn't charge installation fees I wasn't expecting move fees. I have enough fees associated with my upcoming move and was hoping to just change providers. Are there any other DSL providers as cheap as CIA???

assuming you live with someone else. im not sure what their terms are in terms of installation fees, but judging from what you said. i say cancel your account and have someone else sign up at your new place ie gf, SO, roommate.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2001
3785 posts
273 upvotes
Kitchener
Anybody knows when 3Web will accept users in K-W again ?

Teksavvy has let us down , they don't even bother to reply to availability questions anymore.

It is not worth getting irritated, it is not worth it.... Wish everyone happiness, and you yourself will be happy.
Jan 6, 2011
21 posts
2 upvotes
Cochrane
Forget about singing up with 3web in KW right now if there not accepting anymore customers is because theres network is oversaturated like crazy!!! i signed up and for the past few weeks since i signed up i've gotten like 1 up and 1 down yet im paying for 15 down. I called in and they are working on it and should be fixed in february. So for now i get to deal with weak ass internet right now i was wishing i was back on rogers
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
2727 posts
419 upvotes
Nepean
Wow, good to read that 3web si okay for Ottawa. Right now I just finished a 1 year contract with Rogers adn they jacked my 10mb express back to 46.99 and said they will give me 5% off if I sign bundle for 2 years or 1 year alone for 20% off... still expensive and capped.. I will try 3 web I guess... any other thoughts? No DSL in my area either.

Update: No Cable in my area available and dsl is 5mb max although Bell told me I'd be lucky to get 2mb in my area... on waiting list to get cable.

Are they limiting the number of customers?
Dec 31, 2010
68 posts
2 upvotes
Chatham
I'm going to give 3web a try. $35 for the modem on ebay and $37/month for the service, hoping that they don;t let me down. I'm currently on Rogers extreme 25Mbit service cause i kept maxing out on my overage on the express service, but this price is ridiculous AND still has overages for over 125gig. The caps on Rogers bother the hell out of me but their service, ie the internet, is pretty damn good. Time to give 3web a shot and hopefully teksavvy will get cable soon
Nov 14, 2006
464 posts
13 upvotes
how are Ottawa user's speeds lately? I am in Riverside South and had not experienced any slowdowns until very recently (Monday onwards).

CIA / Cybersurf / 3WEB / Distributel - WTF?
Feb 28, 2011
1 posts
montreal
FunkyMcBain wrote: I'm going to give 3web a try. $35 for the modem on ebay and $37/month for the service, hoping that they don;t let me down. I'm currently on Rogers extreme 25Mbit service cause i kept maxing out on my overage on the express service, but this price is ridiculous AND still has overages for over 125gig. The caps on Rogers bother the hell out of me but their service, ie the internet, is pretty damn good. Time to give 3web a shot and hopefully teksavvy will get cable soon

I've been with 3web for over 8 years, some may have forgotten that this company was part of a free ISP back when Canada Post used to give free cd's.
I started with them back then with dial up and in all these years after initial setup, ive called them 5 times, and service was always good, though the wait for a tech may have been long, in the long run the savings were great, I am with their DSL base, which they buy from Bell and re-sell at a good price, 24.95, never an increase and download speeds over 4mb limitless, I cant speak for there cable internet which they also buy and re-sell from videotron(quebec).
The only down side to all ISP's today are the CRTC judgement, besides that any1 who is against all big monoploies (BELL< ROGERS etc..) have a try there is No contract so you lose nothing.
p.s I am basing this on a high spped DSL connection

ciao

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)