Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
CIBC

$50 gift card by looking at your investments - 3 locations in GTA only

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 20th, 2017 12:04 pm
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2007
3032 posts
1083 upvotes
Mississauga
it looks like its not applicable to existing customers who already have their mutual funds. can any one confirm
Jun 3, 2007
579 posts
211 upvotes
Scarborough
didi love wrote: Will they check your driver's license information and confirm the address on the $20,000 statement?
Did they check id? Thanks in advance.
Mine wasn't checked,I guess it depends on who you talk to.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
7066 posts
3378 upvotes
They check your driver's license against the name of the statement, and also the amount in cash/funds/stocks. The statement can be something you printed out from your online account, and they don't mind if you black out the account number. Don't just blindly hand over your license or allow them to open up a file for you or all your info goes into that, unless you want to open an account. Don't let them keep the statement.

The eglinton location doesn't have free parking in the back but has free parking on the streets near it.
May 13, 2013
367 posts
272 upvotes
Toronto
Here's my trip report:

They provide you a pre-paid visa card after your discussion with the advisor.

Although it doesn't say on the promotion, they did want a copy of the summary of your statement for audit purposes. I didn't push too hard on this since I understood and crossed off my personal account number, but feel like you could decline if you were very sensitive to privacy concerns.

All in all, this is a fair promo for 30 mins of your time, or potentially less if you cut to the chase. None of the funds were that attractive at a glance, compared to Vanguard/Blackrock index funds, and I'm still under the opinion that their advisory services are for those who do not want to manage their investments at all or with no knowledge. Thanks for sharing though!
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
1384 posts
575 upvotes
GCSaves wrote: Here's my trip report:

They provide you a pre-paid visa card after your discussion with the advisor.

Although it doesn't say on the promotion, they did want a copy of the summary of your statement for audit purposes. I didn't push too hard on this since I understood and crossed off my personal account number, but feel like you could decline if you were very sensitive to privacy concerns.

All in all, this is a fair promo for 30 mins of your time, or potentially less if you cut to the chase. None of the funds were that attractive at a glance, compared to Vanguard/Blackrock index funds, and I'm still under the opinion that their advisory services are for those who do not want to manage their investments at all or with no knowledge. Thanks for sharing though!
Sure they can say they need a copy for "audit purposes" but the terms and conditions clearly say that they will not retain any statements so, for anyone else out there, I think you could push back.
If anything, I would do what you did and black out the account #, maybe your address and even the name of your holdings when you hand it to them.
CIBC.PNG
Last edited by Warped on Nov 3rd, 2017 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sep 24, 2012
40 posts
17 upvotes
I went to the Eglinton location branch. They did ask to look at the statement but did not ask to keep the statement. I am in and out of CIBC within 15 minutes.
Hope this will help the future goers.
Mar 17, 2006
738 posts
203 upvotes
Markham
At the Front street location they photocopied my investment statement.

I told them what mortgage rate I had. They checked what they're offering, and said I had a better rate. Got the gift card and left.
May 13, 2013
367 posts
272 upvotes
Toronto
There was no address or holding information, simply the sum of the investment accounts. Yeah, what they did contradicted the legalese.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 16, 2015
5405 posts
5751 upvotes
Distance: 50 Metres
crazyqqq wrote: It pays to take a second look at your investments

Bring in your investment statement from another bank showing a minimum of $20,000 and meet with a CIBC advisor. As a thank you, we will give you a $50 gift card.*

* LIMITED TIME OFFER. WHILE SUPPLIES LAST. OFFER MAY BE WITHDRAWN OR CHANGED WITHOUT NOTICE AT ANY TIME BEFORE THE ABOVE DATE. The $50 gift card will be determined by CIBC and is available to people who bring in their eligible investment statement(s) bearing their name from another financial institution, and meet with a CIBC advisor for a complimentary net worth review and a retirement and/or investment plan by the offer date of November 30, 2017. Participants may need to schedule a formal appointment to speak with a CIBC advisor. The investment statement(s) must show a minimum of $20,000 in registered or non-registered investable assets outside of CIBC or CIBC subsidiaries. Investable assets are defined by investments in publicly traded stocks, bonds, mutual funds and Guaranteed Investment Certificates or cash. This offer is not eligible for existing CIBC investment statement(s). No substitution permitted. Limit one gift card per household. CIBC will not retain the original or any copies of individual’s investment statement(s). Offer is not open to CIBC employees or family members domiciled with them or minors. This offer cannot be combined with any other offers.

** Offer only available at the following locations:
CIBC Front and Parliament Banking Centre, 230 Front St. E., Toronto, ON, M5A 1E7;
CIBC Eglinton and Avenue Banking Centre, Unit #4 – 333 Eglinton Avenue W., Toronto, ON, M5N 1A1;
CIBC Port Credit Banking Centre, 101 – 31 Lakeshore Road E., Mississauga, ON, L5G 4V5.

https://www.cibc.com/en/special-offers/ ... -8362.html?
What if I only have 20,000 bitcoins?
To the moon
Jul 23, 2007
187 posts
37 upvotes
York
Did they check Id and address at the Eglinton location?
They say one card per household. Did couple each get one $50 card?

Sidetrack: Does anyone know if the CIBC Aeroplan visa has free annual fee promo?
Jennifer108 wrote: I went to the Eglinton location branch. They did ask to look at the statement but did not ask to keep the statement. I am in and out of CIBC within 15 minutes.
Hope this will help the future goers.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
7066 posts
3378 upvotes
didi love wrote: Did they check Id and address at the Eglinton location?
They say one card per household. Did couple each get one $50 card?

Sidetrack: Does anyone know if the CIBC Aeroplan visa has free annual fee promo?
They checked the ID. But you can just wave the id briefly in their face and they'll just check the name. Don't give them your id card or they'll start searching the address in their database.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2004
2027 posts
59 upvotes
I went to the Front and Parliament location -- it seems like they're trying to push mutual fund accounts. I wasn't really interested in that. We did look at mortgage rates and some other banking products that was about it. I think I could have been out of there in 15-20 mins if I didn't bother looking at the other stuff. They kept a copy of my investment statement but I had removed my name and account number... they said it was for audit purposes. Got my GC and that was that... it was pretty easy. Thanks OP!
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2013
2234 posts
731 upvotes
Toronto
Went to front and parliament location today. They informed me via email before my appointment that they ran out of 50$ visa cards but instead they are offering $50 Canadian tire card. Not a big deal for me still went. Talked about mutual funds no hard selling.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
1384 posts
575 upvotes
XSnapSX wrote: Went to front and parliament location today. They informed me via email before my appointment that they ran out of 50$ visa cards but instead they are offering $50 Canadian tire card. Not a big deal for me still went. Talked about mutual funds no hard selling.
Exact same experience at front and parliament.
They kept a copy of my investment statement - but I took out sensitive information such as address and account number.
May 8, 2017
51 posts
41 upvotes
Redsanta wrote: What if I only have 20,000 bitcoins?
Dude that would make you billionaire if u had that many
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2008
1615 posts
687 upvotes
Toronto
I have an appointment in 45 mins and havent received an email with the GC exception. Lets see
Zoomer for phone + Carrytel for internet + Tangerine bank account + Stack debit card + Great Canadian rebates, ebates, drop and paymi for rebates.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
7066 posts
3378 upvotes
archvenus14 wrote: I have an appointment in 45 mins and havent received an email with the GC exception. Lets see
I probably wouldn't go if it was a Canadian Tire GC. CT is badly overpriced. Might come in handy I suppose if you needed an oil change from them (why in god's name would you go there for an oil change :D)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 25, 2005
9315 posts
7703 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
badOne wrote: I probably wouldn't go if it was a Canadian Tire GC. CT is badly overpriced. Might come in handy I suppose if you needed an oil change from them (why in god's name would you go there for an oil change :D)
You can get gas at Canadian Tire.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2009
2280 posts
991 upvotes
Toronto
crazyqqq wrote: ** Offer only available at the following locations:
CIBC Front and Parliament Banking Centre, 230 Front St. E., Toronto, ON, M5A 1E7;
CIBC Eglinton and Avenue Banking Centre, Unit #4 – 333 Eglinton Avenue W., Toronto, ON, M5N 1A1;
CIBC Port Credit Banking Centre, 101 – 31 Lakeshore Road E., Mississauga, ON, L5G 4V5.

https://www.cibc.com/en/special-offers/ ... -8362.html?
How do you get these locations? When I click "book a meeting" on your link and select Personal Banking -> Advice -> Investment Planning I get "CIBC Front and Parliament Banking Centre, 230 Front St. E., Toronto, ON, M5A 1E7" but if I enter a postal code I can select almost any branch.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2006
3164 posts
26390 upvotes
Toronto
andrew4321 wrote: How do you get these locations? When I click "book a meeting" on your link and select Personal Banking -> Advice -> Investment Planning I get "CIBC Front and Parliament Banking Centre, 230 Front St. E., Toronto, ON, M5A 1E7" but if I enter a postal code I can select almost any branch.
Expand the terms and conditions at the bottom of the page.