• May 11th, 2018 3:46 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
May 7, 2017
347 posts
154 upvotes

CIBC Aventura Card - Business

What can I do with 15,000 points ? I got a pre approval thinking of getting it as my td visa gets blocked everywhere I go international.

I wonder if I can call in and get the Aeroplan
Last edited by titaniumtux on Jan 17th, 2018 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title to reflect thread discussion
12 replies
Apr 29, 2016
2 posts
1 upvote
Might be a good idea to let td visa know you are travelling so your card wont get denied.
Jun 15, 2017
324 posts
90 upvotes
BeanFinn wrote:
Jan 17th, 2018 9:29 pm
What can I do with 15,000 points ? I got a pre approval thinking of getting it as my td visa gets blocked everywhere I go international.

They currently have a 30,000 points offer($300 in travel thru CIBC travel site),plus annual $120 travel credit with FYF for the Business Adventura.
I've applied for the Biz aeroplan before without a "real business"(just used my very infrequent eBay selling as my business)....not sure if its as easy nowadays.
Oct 13, 2017
72 posts
35 upvotes
fadetogrey wrote:
Jan 21st, 2018 9:25 pm
They currently have a 30,000 points offer($300 in travel thru CIBC travel site),plus annual $120 travel credit with FYF for the Business Adventura.
I've applied for the Biz aeroplan before without a "real business"(just used my very infrequent eBay selling as my business)....not sure if its as easy nowadays.
According to Jerry's thread CIBC is pretty strict with their Biz card requirements, asking for business details such as GST #, etc. Can anyone who has applied recently confirm this?
A Koodo and Paytm customer
Nov 23, 2015
286 posts
118 upvotes
Winnipeg
picknpay wrote:
Feb 26th, 2018 9:57 am
According to Jerry's thread CIBC is pretty strict with their Biz card requirements, asking for business details such as GST #, etc. Can anyone who has applied recently confirm this?
No. I recently applied by phone for a CIBC Business card. They ask you questions about revenues, expenses, etc. so it goes beyond what you might expect from Amex, but at the end of the day it comes down to your total income and whether it satisfies the card's requirements.

In my case my business income is via a sole proprietorship and forms a small part of my overall total income. I don't file business taxes separately, it's just part of my personal income. The operator said that in that case, it was really my salary income that they were interested in and I had to send in paystubs from work to verify (first time I've ever had to do that!).

I have a hunch that if someone applies and suggests that they have substantial business income or provides vague answers to the questions they will be asked to provide paper documentation. But my business isn't incorporated, has no GST #, has no separate tax return and I had no problem getting a card.
Jan 8, 2009
468 posts
323 upvotes
56kbps wrote:
Feb 26th, 2018 10:14 am

No. I recently applied by phone for a CIBC Business card. They ask you questions about revenues, expenses, etc. so it goes beyond what you might expect from Amex, but at the end of the day it comes down to your total income and whether it satisfies the card's requirements.

In my case my business income is via a sole proprietorship and forms a small part of my overall total income. I don't file business taxes separately, it's just part of my personal income. The operator said that in that case, it was really my salary income that they were interested in and I had to send in paystubs from work to verify (first time I've ever had to do that!).

I have a hunch that if someone applies and suggests that they have substantial business income or provides vague answers to the questions they will be asked to provide paper documentation. But my business isn't incorporated, has no GST #, has no separate tax return and I had no problem getting a card.
In that case, you should put the word "business" in quotes Face With Tears Of Joy
Nov 23, 2015
286 posts
118 upvotes
Winnipeg
PTMBAA wrote:
Feb 26th, 2018 12:52 pm
In that case, you should put the word "business" in quotes Face With Tears Of Joy
No one is going to confuse it with GM, Rogers or US Bank, but it's still a business. And it got me the card I wanted which is all I really care about here ;)
Apr 27, 2016
64 posts
37 upvotes
BeanFinn wrote:
Jan 17th, 2018 9:29 pm

I found trying to use it for flights to be hard, and I also found their selection of hotels online to be limited. Good news is that if you find some hotels on expedia, you can book them with the helpful staff at the Aventura call centre. Thus, you can get $150 of value from your 15,000 Aventura points.
Aug 27, 2014
106 posts
21 upvotes
travelmore wrote:
Feb 26th, 2018 7:52 pm
I found trying to use it for flights to be hard, and I also found their selection of hotels online to be limited. Good news is that if you find some hotels on expedia, you can book them with the helpful staff at the Aventura call centre. Thus, you can get $150 of value from your 15,000 Aventura points.
So you can work around their online options and have them book whatever you find on Expedia?

Because I looked around their website and the costs of hotels seemed inflated compared to what I normally find on Expedia. Same thing with car rental deals. Only flights had normal prices.
Apr 27, 2016
64 posts
37 upvotes
LuxErus wrote:
Apr 5th, 2018 4:34 pm
So you can work around their online options and have them book whatever you find on Expedia?

Because I looked around their website and the costs of hotels seemed inflated compared to what I normally find on Expedia. Same thing with car rental deals. Only flights had normal prices.
Yes, that is exactly what I mean. You may even be able to find flights that are not on expedia by calling their call centre, they are quite helpful.
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2012
4564 posts
524 upvotes
Ottawa
56kbps wrote:
Feb 26th, 2018 10:14 am

is the $120 Travel credit a one off - or yearly?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2003
5047 posts
741 upvotes
Toronto
VH99 wrote:
May 9th, 2018 2:31 pm
is the $120 Travel credit a one off - or yearly?
It's yearly. They introduced this travel credit last year. So I used it last year, and another $120 this year. But the footnote mentioned that the promotion ends December 31, 2018.
Unless they extend the credit, you will only get it for this year.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2013
1376 posts
374 upvotes
Winnipeg
For Aventura, can I book AirBnB directly and they go back and apply Aventura to offset the expense. I know Scotia rewards work that way.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. -- Douglas Adams

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)