• Jul 25th, 2011 12:10 pm
Tags:
None
Sep 9, 2005
669 posts
44 upvotes
Toronto

CIBC Aventura Flight Redemptions

Does anyone have this card and know the specifics of redeeming for flights using their flight redemption chart, not the 100pts=$1 method?

I currently have an Aerogold, but we all know the drill about getting flights with Aeroplan miles. Well, you can get flights, as long as you don't mind connections and waiting around in airports. I have 60,000 miles and haven't been able to find a direct flight anywhere, without using "classicplus" reward seats, which makes the redemption return atrocious.

I've been thinking of switching over to the Aventura when I heard they had a airline rewards chart outside of their normal points for $ redemption. Here it is:

http://www.cibcaventura.com/eng/airline ... nuid=hotel

The thing is, for say a long-haul flight, the cost is 20k-40k points. That's a huge spread. 20k would make it a pretty good deal, 40k would make it an awful deal.

Anyone have this card, or know what the criteria is for redeeming in this manner? When does a flight cost 20k points, when does it cost 40k points? There's no details on the website, and I've spoken to 2 CIBC CSR's and it's like banging my head against a brick wall. I don't know how they expect people to sign up for a card without knowing the full details.
7 replies
[OP]
Sep 9, 2005
669 posts
44 upvotes
Toronto
I'm amazed CIBC still offers this card. It seems no one, not even CIBC staff, knows anything about it. Strange.
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
12844 posts
571 upvotes
Salinger wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2008 8:20 pm
Does anyone have this card and know the specifics of redeeming for flights using their flight redemption chart, not the 100pts=$1 method?

I currently have an Aerogold, but we all know the drill about getting flights with Aeroplan miles. Well, you can get flights, as long as you don't mind connections and waiting around in airports. I have 60,000 miles and haven't been able to find a direct flight anywhere, without using "classicplus" reward seats, which makes the redemption return atrocious.

I've been thinking of switching over to the Aventura when I heard they had a airline rewards chart outside of their normal points for $ redemption. Here it is:

http://www.cibcaventura.com/eng/airline ... nuid=hotel

The thing is, for say a long-haul flight, the cost is 20k-40k points. That's a huge spread. 20k would make it a pretty good deal, 40k would make it an awful deal.

Anyone have this card, or know what the criteria is for redeeming in this manner? When does a flight cost 20k points, when does it cost 40k points? There's no details on the website, and I've spoken to 2 CIBC CSR's and it's like banging my head against a brick wall. I don't know how they expect people to sign up for a card without knowing the full details.
I am always surprised when people discuss difficult booking flights with aeroplan. I have never booked a classic priced flight and have never had problems: Genevax2, Heathrowx2, Nassaux3, Montrealx2, Newarkx2, Sydneyx2 plus lap, Montrealx2,
Sep 24, 2006
11 posts
i own this card for a few years now and i haven't had any problems redeeming points for flights. the number you call is an actual travel agency and there are no restrictions on which flights or airlines you can take.

i've booked flights from vancouver to montreal and san francisco and they're both around 35,0000 each.
Oct 10, 2006
906 posts
41 upvotes
Halifax
I have this card as well with no trouble.

A lot of CIBC people switched to this card with all the trouble Air Canada was having.

I would try calling the rewards center for info on points etc.
Dec 16, 2008
1 posts
Calgary, AB
I just checked in with CIBC about the redemption chart as I too was confused by the range of points required. It was explained to me that the lower the price of the ticket, the less points is required. For example, for a long haul flight, if the cost of the ticket was less than $350, you'd only redeem 20,000 to 25,000 points. If the ticket was up around the maximum ticket price allowable ($650), then you'd get dinged for 40,000 points. It sounds like Aventura may be a good deal if you take flights that aren't very long but don't qualify as a short haul flight (i.e. Calgary to Winnipeg). On the other hand, more expensive flights will cost you more points than on Avion, so it kind of depends on your travel plans.

Another thing to keep in mind is that you can likely accumulate points faster on Aventura with the 1.5 multiplier for items purchased at grocery stores, drug stores and gas stations.

I have the Aeroplan Infinite Visa but am looking to make a switch before my annual fee for the upcoming year comes due. I'm still torn between Aventura and Avion. After all of the struggles I've had trying to book flights on Aeroplan and after watching my wife book a flight to Winnipeg for Christmas with her Avion card and getting the exact flight she wanted, I'm convinced that I need to make a change.

Any other thoughts?

Pete
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2008
3271 posts
62 upvotes
pyates wrote:
Dec 17th, 2008 6:15 pm
Another thing to keep in mind is that you can likely accumulate points faster on Aventura with the 1.5 multiplier for items purchased at grocery stores, drug stores and gas stations.

I have the Aeroplan Infinite Visa but am looking to make a switch before my annual fee for the upcoming year comes due. I'm still torn between Aventura and Avion. After all of the struggles I've had trying to book flights on Aeroplan and after watching my wife book a flight to Winnipeg for Christmas with her Avion card and getting the exact flight she wanted, I'm convinced that I need to make a change.

Any other thoughts?

Pete
Avion doesn't have the 1.5 multiplier for groceries/gas and in my family that's probably our biggest personal expense. Granted, you can switch the points to BA during the 1.5 promotion with Avion but BA award redemption is an even bigger pain than Aeroplan... you have to do it really early.

Aventura's like CIBC's Avion card, it's basically an Aerogold card with more flexibility to use the points for non-AC travel. The big advantage of Avion is there's a pre-set amount of redemption points for each bracket, say 100,000 points for a ticket to Asia up to $2,000. This could work in, or against your favour as it won't matter to them if the ticket is $1,400 or $2,000 you're still redeeming 100,000 points.

I myself use Aerogold because it won't cause my Aeroplan points to expire, and I'm very happy with the card as I don't have to pay the annual fee (at least in first year). Neither have I had difficulties claiming Aeroplan awards as I plan ahead quite early. 100,000 points for a business ticket from Toronto to Hong Kong is an awesome deal IMO.

Also, has anyone tried canceling Aerogold, reapplying and getting the 15,000 bonus again? I know some people on Flyertalk do this, every year they cancel and reapply to get the 15,000 point bonus.
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2005
1804 posts
161 upvotes
Resurrecting this thread to find out the following,

1. Does anyone know the redemption rate for aventura points? CIBC is clueless. I know how Aeroplan works but what if book using a different airline, does it still work in tiers? That can be rewarding or punishing given the price.
2. What is the redemption rate for gift cards and merchandise etc? What type of gift cards or merchandise are available? Is the return competitive to let's say booking flights etc?

Thanks very much.
× < >