Hot Deals

[CIBC] Aventura Infinite visa card, AF credit, 4 PP lounge passes, 20k av points

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 9th, 2019 1:32 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
8134 posts
2436 upvotes
Toronto

[CIBC] Aventura Infinite visa card, AF credit, 4 PP lounge passes, 20k av points

Looks like they took away the FYF (First year free, or $120 AF rebated) and replaced it with $120 travel credit which then is equivalent to rebating the AF if you can apply that toward travel. The rest is the same, including the 20k av points, 4 PP lounge passes, and $50 toward Nexus application.
==
Once a while CIBC offers this Aventura card with AF credit (First year free, usually $120 AF), and 15,000 Aventura points. This time they are adding 5,000 points if spending $1k in the first 4 months. Most cards give 3 months to make the required spending, this card is giving 4 months.

Also get 4 Priority Pass Lounge visits.

In the past this card wasn't that attractive as the Aventura points stopped being transferable to aeroplan points. But they can still be redeemed for gift cards. But now they added the 4 lounge passes, that's very useful for people who fly.
===

SPECIAL OFFER
CIBC Aventura® Visa Infinite* Card
Get up to 20,000 Aventura Points – that’s up to $400 towards your next flight1!

First year annual fee rebate
Available for your primary and up to 3 secondary cards if you’re a new cardholder

Access to more than 1200 airport lounges across the globe. Priority Pass membership with 4 complimentary lounge visits a year9. Zip in and out of the country with a rebate on one NEXUS application fee every 4 years

Any airline, every flight, every seat — with points that don’t expire
Multiplying your Aventura Points is as easy as buying groceries, pumping gas or booking a trip

Get up to 20,000 Aventura Points when you're a new cardholder
Get 15,000 Aventura Points when you make your first purchase and 5,000 additional points when you spend $1,000 or more during your first 4 monthly statement periods
Last edited by Arrgh on Mar 3rd, 2019 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
131 replies
Jan 8, 2009
513 posts
427 upvotes
This is a repost dude...
Aug 25, 2012
84 posts
155 upvotes
VANCOUVER
FYI 20k points are worth about $150
If you like them, please be sure to up vote my posts! When you upvote my posts, this is what happens:
My wife loves me more😂, my car goes faster😎, my house becomes bigger😐, My boss gives me a raise😁.

Fact check, none of the above is valid.
Nov 20, 2010
87 posts
49 upvotes
This is like... Nothing compared to the Scotia passport infinite... Yet the passport infinite isn't that much ti begin with...
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
8134 posts
2436 upvotes
Toronto
kchkwan wrote:
Dec 1st, 2018 12:30 am
This is like... Nothing compared to the Scotia passport infinite... Yet the passport infinite isn't that much ti begin with...
The Scotia passport infinite visa requires $130 AF. This one is FYF.
Mar 21, 2016
20 posts
37 upvotes
Canada
Nexus fee refund for every 4 years on this card 65$ worth
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
4728 posts
1427 upvotes
Winnipeg
Can you transfer Aventura points to aeroplan
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2011
2247 posts
2401 upvotes
Calgary
airmail wrote:
Dec 1st, 2018 6:37 am
Can you transfer Aventura points to aeroplan
NO. Pay your statement with points is 14000 points to $100, I think. Not really good card for bonus points unless if you plan to take a flight.
But hey, this is RFD and these points are free. Take it.

But take this into account.
1 You are eligible for the annual fee rebate if you are not a current CIBC cardholder. If you are a current CIBC cardholder, we may approve your application but you will not be eligible for the annual fee rebate.
Rule No.1 here: Buy first, Think afterwards.
Mar 2, 2016
221 posts
232 upvotes
Toronto
2 points for every $1 spent on travel purchased through the CIBC Rewards Centre
1.5 points for every $1 spent at gas stations, grocery stores and drugstores
1 point for every $1 spent on all other purchases

Definitely not a card to keep using after receiving the bonus.
Actually, say I'd be paying $1,000 for gas/groceries/drugstores to reach the bonus using this card, I'd lose 0.5-3.5% cashback that I could've earned with another cards that I have. Say we take the average, which is 1.5%, it comes to $1,000*1.5%=15$ that you technically miss out on. Is it a big deal? no. But is it something to add to the fact that these Aventura points are not so useful? yes.
The 4xPP and Nexus reimbursement is pretty good, though.
Koodo|Public Mobile|Fido|Tangerine|EQ|AMEX|Plastiq|Paytm|eBates|TopCashBack|Mr. Rebates|Great Canadian Rebates|RocketMiles
Carrot|AwardWallet|Skiplagged|uber|Lyft|Instaryde|airBNB|uberEats|DoorDash|Skip the Dishes|Foodora|Ritual|Amazon Prime/Student
Apr 5, 2009
992 posts
181 upvotes
JamesPlomppy wrote:
Dec 1st, 2018 12:42 pm
2 points for every $1 spent on travel purchased through the CIBC Rewards Centre
1.5 points for every $1 spent at gas stations, grocery stores and drugstores
1 point for every $1 spent on all other purchases

Definitely not a card to keep using after receiving the bonus.
Actually, say I'd be paying $1,000 for gas/groceries/drugstores to reach the bonus using this card, I'd lose 0.5-3.5% cashback that I could've earned with another cards that I have. Say we take the average, which is 1.5%, it comes to $1,000*1.5%=15$ that you technically miss out on. Is it a big deal? no. But is it something to add to the fact that these Aventura points are not so useful? yes.
The 4xPP and Nexus reimbursement is pretty good, though.
I used to have this card a few years back... I found the point redemption on flights reasonable. They have promotions every now and then for round trips from Toronto to New York for 9000 points, and some of their flat-rate flights end up being cheaper in flight redemption... I remember booking flight to Hong Kong for 65,000 point + $80 in taxes , versus paying ~$900. Only got rid of it because it didn't have lounge passes before.

I generally use my 4% c/b card for gas & groceries, and an infinite travel card for all other purchases.
Mar 2, 2016
221 posts
232 upvotes
Toronto
Steven91 wrote:
Dec 1st, 2018 12:48 pm
I used to have this card a few years back... I found the point redemption on flights reasonable. They have promotions every now and then for round trips from Toronto to New York for 9000 points, and some of their flat-rate flights end up being cheaper in flight redemption... I remember booking flight to Hong Kong for 65,000 point + $80 in taxes , versus paying ~$900. Only got rid of it because it didn't have lounge passes before.

I generally use my 4% c/b card for gas & groceries, and an infinite travel card for all other purchases.
I just got access to over 550,000 Aventura points. Tried to book a roundtrip for 2 in business from Toronto to Hawaii. Went online and realized that you can't book any travel on business on the website. Gotta call. Obviously, there was a long wait. Finally got through and realized how this plan sucks even more: in orde to fly in business, you have to first buy a seat in economy for the equivalent amount of points, then upgrade, if it's available. The upgrade is payable in cash, but you can pay in points using some conversion. The problem is that there is a limit to how many points you can use for a trip per person. Bottom line - it would've cost more to pay in points for an economy seat+part of the upgrade+cash for the remainder of the upgrade, than to buy it cash from the airline (or an OTA). It's a joke.
I wouldn't fly in economy for longer than 4-5 hours. Life's too short, and there are many way to fly cheap in business using points and miles. This is definitely not one of them. The only value I see in these Aventura points is in economy short haul. But with recent promotions in both cash and award travel, skiplagging and cards that would reimburse your travel (like HSBC WE or mbna WE), it's probably not a card that I would use specifically to collect points. And to top it off, the earnings per dollar are relatively low compared to other cards, as the ones I mentioned.
So yeah, 4xPP and Nexus reimbursement. Nothing beyond that.
Koodo|Public Mobile|Fido|Tangerine|EQ|AMEX|Plastiq|Paytm|eBates|TopCashBack|Mr. Rebates|Great Canadian Rebates|RocketMiles
Carrot|AwardWallet|Skiplagged|uber|Lyft|Instaryde|airBNB|uberEats|DoorDash|Skip the Dishes|Foodora|Ritual|Amazon Prime/Student
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2006
1828 posts
365 upvotes
Burnaby
21K points = $150 worth of gift cards. Works out to 15% cashback if you spend exactly $1000. Since I didn't find the travel rewards as flexible as compared to competitor cards, decided to cash them in for PC Gift Cards.
Mar 8, 2006
592 posts
154 upvotes
Can the Priority Pass membership be linked to supplementary holder, since I already have PP from AMEX? Scotia Passport allows it.
Jan 24, 2010
58 posts
46 upvotes
GTA
fortune88 wrote:
Dec 31st, 2018 8:31 am
Can the Priority Pass membership be linked to supplementary holder, since I already have PP from AMEX? Scotia Passport allows it.

I am the primary card holder, had Priority Pass ship the Card in my wife's name, and she was able to use it a few days ago at the airport with the kids (I was not present). She said she showed the card, which had the 4 passes linked on it, and they let them in, no issues. Family loved it in the lounge, nice seating, buffet eating, and bathrooms in a quiet environment.