Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

[CIBC Aventura] Visa Infinite - Get up to 20,000 Aventura® Points

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 5th, 2019 8:14 pm
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
9870 posts
1914 upvotes
TO
Wondering if this is better or should I go for the business aventura with $120 travel credit....
or even the new scotia passport infinite card.
"You can't soar with the eagles if you're hanging with the turkeys - Gary Kent
Oct 5, 2014
198 posts
76 upvotes
Madden, AB
Got approved on this card but need to go to branch to pick it up...
Banned
May 7, 2007
13912 posts
5710 upvotes
The Gold card (vs this Infinite card) ... maybe is easier to get (for some people anyhow) ... income requirement for it is 15K vs 60K (for Infinite) ...

Gold doesn't come with some insurances etc .. but it has the same $120 annual fee (waived 1st year on promo) .. and the same 20,000 points (15,000 + 5,000 promo bonus) ... everything is the same basically ... just less income needed to get approved. Here it is:

https://www.cibc.com/en/personal-bankin ... -card.html

I just called for info about Infinite card (in this thread) ... and Rep told me about this Gold.

I called with concerns about $120 fee if have / had another CIBC card ...

Rep told me if we apply online now ... he personally can credit me $120 ... if Fee is charged.

So I went for it ... We applied for Infinite card ... and then he asked me if I am not approved for Infinite .. they can automatically consider me for Gold one..

I said OK ... but now thinking maybe I should have just applied for that Gold card instead.

Too late already ... as we applied already ... I wasn't approved instantly .. so he told me it should probably take 2 weeks or so for the back office / credit people to approve me.

There was no pre-approval on my file ... so no instant approval for me. But, my income he said, should be OK for either card.

If I am not approved for Infinite ... then maybe Gold.

Gotta wait 2 weeks now or so .. or maybe even longer .. could be 3 weeks even etc.
Mar 26, 2009
444 posts
363 upvotes
Toronto
redboy69 wrote: Can anyone comment on the option to purchase one way tickets with the points or does it have to be round trip? If one way is available, would this just be half the points of a normal round trip ticket?

Thanks in advance.
You can purchase one way but point redemption varies - sometimes it's 50% of the round trip, sometimes it's slightly more than 50% of round trip. All depends on flight availability (i.e. day/time)
looking4deals1 wrote: Do you do a product switch or cancel one card and then apply for the other? I have a CIBC Aerogold Infinite that I haven't been using and would love to do a product switch without the credit hit.
I carry both cards at the same time. They have phased out the CIBC Aerogold so hanging on until Air Canada develops their new program. When I applied for Aventura, they couldn't do a product switch and had to apply for a new card (hence why I have both). This was when it first came out 2-3 yrs ago so things may have changed.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2009
2756 posts
1630 upvotes
Ontario
I received this card by mail, no need to go to the branch.
Currently happy customer with Koodo, Roger and Virgin Mobile.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2005
3122 posts
909 upvotes
North Vancouver
Problem is Aventura don't have fixed rates like RBC Avion, for instance Mexico, Alaska, Hawaii, Central America, Caribbean Points required: 40,000 to 60,000 , and there's no way to know it's 40,000 or 60,000 unless if you have a Aventura account?

Meanwhile RBC is Fixed 45K points for $900 (From Vancouver), so at least I know if I apply 2 cards with 5K spend I can for sure get a ticket.

But both of them can departure from US Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes

Can they combine personnel Aventura+ Business Aventura points? I heard is not allowed before.
dma87 wrote: I have both the CIBC Aerogold and CIBC Aventura (Infinite) card and go back and forth on both for travel rewards. Aventura is great in letting you pick from various other airlines (not just AC/Star Alliance) and more availability for times and dates (I find Aeroplan pretty useless in booking flights unless you go to Marketfare). I do find the Aventura point redemption to be more, but you pay less in tax compared to Aeroplan. For example, a flight to Calgary from Toronto on Aeroplan is 25,000 points, ~$170 in taxes, on Aventura would be 32,000 - 35,000 points, and $120 in taxes.

Other benefits with Aventura: ability to use my points towards taxes on flights; various other reward redemptions (hotels; merchandise); can use points to pay towards credit card.

The biggest downside is the point multiplier like what's offered on Aeroplan. I don't receive bonuses during travels such as staying with Fairmont, booking with Avis etc. like I do on my Aeroplan card so it does take a little longer to collect the points. but you will get multipliers on grocery, gas, and drugstores. IMO the travel benefits (insurance etc.) are worth the annual fee.
Banned
May 7, 2007
13912 posts
5710 upvotes
Darkman wrote: The Gold card (vs this Infinite card) ... maybe is easier to get (for some people anyhow) ... income requirement for it is 15K vs 60K (for Infinite) ...

Gold doesn't come with some insurances etc .. but it has the same $120 annual fee (waived 1st year on promo) .. and the same 20,000 points (15,000 + 5,000 promo bonus) ... everything is the same basically ... just less income needed to get approved. Here it is:

https://www.cibc.com/en/personal-bankin ... -card.html

I just called for info about Infinite card (in this thread) ... and Rep told me about this Gold.

I called with concerns about $120 fee if have / had another CIBC card ...

Rep told me if we apply online now ... he personally can credit me $120 ... if Fee is charged.

So I went for it ... We applied for Infinite card ... and then he asked me if I am not approved for Infinite .. they can automatically consider me for Gold one..

I said OK ... but now thinking maybe I should have just applied for that Gold card instead.

Too late already ... as we applied already ... I wasn't approved instantly .. so he told me it should probably take 2 weeks or so for the back office / credit people to approve me.

There was no pre-approval on my file ... so no instant approval for me. But, my income he said, should be OK for either card.

If I am not approved for Infinite ... then maybe Gold.

Gotta wait 2 weeks now or so .. or maybe even longer .. could be 3 weeks even etc.
Received an email from them yesterday ..., that I was approved for this card :)
Jul 24, 2017
213 posts
57 upvotes
uuuu7777 wrote: Excerpt from the Terms and Conditions:
"You are eligible for this annual fee rebate offer only if you apply and are approved for your first CIBC credit card.
If you are a current or former CIBC cardholder, we may approve your application but you will not be eligible for the offer".
Do you know if a prepaid CIBC credit card counts as a first CIBC credit card?
Banned
May 7, 2007
13912 posts
5710 upvotes
Do / did they ever have sales on gift cards and financial products (such as TFSA etc) here ... or not?

Anyone aware?
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2009
2756 posts
1630 upvotes
Ontario
max9505672 wrote: Do you know if a prepaid CIBC credit card counts as a first CIBC credit card?
I have a prepaid CIBC AirCanada Prepaid Visa and I got my 12,000 points from Aventura Visa today after my first purchase.
Jul 24, 2017
213 posts
57 upvotes
Headbeancounter wrote: I have a prepaid CIBC AirCanada Prepaid Visa and I got my 12,000 points from Aventura Visa today after my first purchase.
I'll apply then, thanks!
Sep 11, 2017
32 posts
5 upvotes
Has anyone had any success transferring credit from one card to a new one with CIBC (I know TD and others allow this)? Specifically got the Aventura Biz a few months ago, received the bonus, and now want to do the Aventura Pers without a hit. Any DPs would be appreciated.
Mar 4, 2017
136 posts
120 upvotes
Anjou, QC
Hi,

i saw this offer today but im questionning myself. i have read posts here and seems like the 20k points equals 200$. But on the CIBC website it's written that « Get up to 20,000 Aventura® Points – that’s up to $400 towards your next flight1!»

So it's 400$ for travel and 200$ for anything else ( Ie: gift cards) ?

Thanks !
Dec 13, 2014
118 posts
78 upvotes
Niagara Region
XboxLiveFrank789 wrote: So it's 400$ for travel and 200$ for anything else ( Ie: gift cards) ?

Not "$400", but "up to $400". And that's only for flights. And they have to be booked by their Travel Center.

Or, $200 towards car rentals, hotels or cruises, again booked by their Travel Center.

Or, less than $200 (IIRC) for depositing into your registered account held at CIBC (e.g TFSA).

Or, even less for redeeming towards gift cards.

Or, (again IIRC) $50 as a statement credit.

Feel free to browse RFD, or to call CIBC for details.

Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2010
1048 posts
784 upvotes
how long did it take for the bonus points to post? I made a first purchase about a month ago still not initial bonus points credited.

btw, I agree with the person who said the business gold aventura being the best decision. FYF, $120 travel credit, free union-pearson express tickets and 30k bonus points. If only it was churnable..
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2012
2905 posts
2578 upvotes
Toronto
Is this card better than TD First Class or RBC Avion?
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2009
2756 posts
1630 upvotes
Ontario
chaugh wrote: how long did it take for the bonus points to post? I made a first purchase about a month ago still not initial bonus points credited.

btw, I agree with the person who said the business gold aventura being the best decision. FYF, $120 travel credit, free union-pearson express tickets and 30k bonus points. If only it was churnable..
Did you get an email from CIBC? I made my first purchase about a week ago and got an email within a day telling me that I got the 15,000 points but when I checked my account this morning it hadn't been posted.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2010
1048 posts
784 upvotes
Headbeancounter wrote: Did you get an email from CIBC? I made my first purchase about a week ago and got an email within a day telling me that I got the 15,000 points but when I checked my account this morning it hadn't been posted.
hm.. no i didnt get any emails. I've been using this card for almost 4 weeks now. I will wait for the second statement to come out then give them a call
Nov 23, 2017
393 posts
148 upvotes
So no way to get this promotion if you already have a CIBC credit card?
Heard some people still get approved and qualified

I've never had a aventura before just a basic cibc card
Banned
May 7, 2007
13912 posts
5710 upvotes
uuuu7777 wrote: .

Not "$400", but "up to $400". And that's only for flights. And they have to be booked by their Travel Center.

Or, $200 towards car rentals, hotels or cruises, again booked by their Travel Center.

Or, less than $200 (IIRC) for depositing into your registered account held at CIBC (e.g TFSA).

Or, even less for redeeming towards gift cards.

Or, (again IIRC) $50 as a statement credit.

Feel free to browse RFD, or to call CIBC for details.

$125 ... not $50 (re: 20,000 points vs. statement credit).

Details are in this post: cibc-aventura-visa-infinite-get-up-20-0 ... #p29155738

As to TFSA (etc) ... -- 20,000 points are $150 in total ( 12,000 = $100 for TFSA ...and with the remaining 8,000 points one can get $50 statement credit (4,000 = $25 .... x 2) ... details are in the post at link above ... and next post there.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)