Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
CIBC

Free $300 when you open CIBC Smart Account

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 14th, 2019 2:29 pm
Jan 10, 2019
1 posts
1 upvote
It really did work. I didnt even know about it untill the 300$ was in the account . when I esquired why it was there i seen the offer. I was blown away. really
Sep 28, 2018
63 posts
33 upvotes
ovaltene wrote: Wondering if anyone still has not gotten the $300 yet, or has everyone received theirs? I did sign up on the last day (Aug 31st) for this to be fair, and didn't have the multiple PADs fully operating until mid-November, so not impatient, but I'm wondering when to hit the panic button and escalate the issue.
Same here, we signed up on the last day of the promo and had direct deposit going in early October and haven't seen it yet.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2014
3036 posts
1638 upvotes
ON
ovaltene wrote: Wondering if anyone still has not gotten the $300 yet, or has everyone received theirs? I did sign up on the last day (Aug 31st) for this to be fair, and didn't have the multiple PADs fully operating until mid-November, so not impatient, but I'm wondering when to hit the panic button and escalate the issue.
i opened the account on June 30. Didn't get the bonus. called customer service and was told paypal was not a qualified PAD.

Called the branch and left a voice mail to the lady who opened the account for me. She called me back after one hour telling me my bonus was deposited(no question asked).
Sep 28, 2018
63 posts
33 upvotes
Hey ovaltene, did you end up getting it?

I applied online on August 31st but apparently that was too late, here is CIBC's response when I inquired about it:

"I have taken a look at your Smart Account with us and although you may have submitted the application on August 31st, it was not processed and the account was not created until September 4th - which is outside of the promotional offer period. "
Jul 5, 2017
245 posts
203 upvotes
Hey, I did get the bonus. I opened on the 31st as well in the morning, but I did ensure to ask the FA who opened it was knowledgeable about the reason why I had the account opened (purely for the promo) and she assured me it would be fine. I would try to call CIBC, but it might be just a case of it being too late unfortunately.

Can someone please remind me when's the earliest we can close this account again?
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2018
1876 posts
2285 upvotes
Halifax, Nova Scotia
ovaltene wrote: Hey, I did get the bonus. I opened on the 31st as well in the morning, but I did ensure to ask the FA who opened it was knowledgeable about the reason why I had the account opened (purely for the promo) and she assured me it would be fine. I would try to call CIBC, but it might be just a case of it being too late unfortunately.

Can someone please remind me when's the earliest we can close this account again?
12 months. They're going to see a lot of cancels in Aug/Sep/Oct this year!
Sep 28, 2018
63 posts
33 upvotes
ovaltene wrote: Hey, I did get the bonus. I opened on the 31st as well in the morning, but I did ensure to ask the FA who opened it was knowledgeable about the reason why I had the account opened (purely for the promo) and she assured me it would be fine. I would try to call CIBC, but it might be just a case of it being too late unfortunately.

Glad that you got yours!

We finally called and aren't getting the bonus, even though the advertising was still up for the promo on their site which I clicked through to apply.
The terms and conditions state that if you apply online you need to do it "between May 1 and August 25, 2018" and it only would have counted on August 31 if we applied in branch.

My fault for not reading the terms obviously so I'll be going through the next T&C with a fine-tooth comb before signing up, lol.

Oh well, I guess we will try out Tangerine instead.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2010
1562 posts
1010 upvotes
Lac St-Jean
Anyone already cancelled his/her account? I dont really want to wait until july. Is cibc prone to clawbacks?
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2018
1876 posts
2285 upvotes
Halifax, Nova Scotia
JFRACINE wrote: Anyone already cancelled his/her account? I dont really want to wait until july. Is cibc prone to clawbacks?
I don't want to wait either, but I'm waiting til August... Would be interested to hear stories re: clawback as well
Nov 15, 2007
694 posts
219 upvotes
I opened the account back in mid May last year and received bonus in July. I am going to close the account this month. Will report back when all is done.
Public Mobile + Fido 3GB Tablet Plan
Feb 6, 2007
760 posts
264 upvotes
My account was opened mid May. Confirmed with the Terms that you only had to keep it open for 1 calendar year from month-end of account opening. So I walked into a branch and closed it. It was very easy. Just had to show a piece of ID. Any balance will be returned to you in cash. I was not charged a pro-rated fee for the account fee ($4.95). Not sure if it was because I had $3K balance in it, which was transferred out Monday.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
50593 posts
6557 upvotes
Toronto
Jimboski wrote: Did anyone receive an email from CIBC stating that my account has been inactive and will close next month if i don't use it? I mean if they close it themselves i'm void of having the account 1 year from when i signed up for this promo right?
Was i the only one who had their account become inactive? It had a low balance, didn't use it for anything. When i log in it just says to contact customer support to have the account opened again..
Nov 15, 2007
694 posts
219 upvotes
shopper_holic wrote: My account was opened mid May. Confirmed with the Terms that you only had to keep it open for 1 calendar year from month-end of account opening. So I walked into a branch and closed it. It was very easy. Just had to show a piece of ID. Any balance will be returned to you in cash. I was not charged a pro-rated fee for the account fee ($4.95). Not sure if it was because I had $3K balance in it, which was transferred out Monday.
Did you transfer out your $3k before you closed the account? Or you got the $3k in cash when you closed the account? Thank you.
Feb 6, 2007
760 posts
264 upvotes
gzlwl wrote: Did you transfer out your $3k before you closed the account? Or you got the $3k in cash when you closed the account? Thank you.
Yes, I transferred out the money (left about $20 in the account) before I closed it. When I went to close it, they gave me the $20 in cash. I thought they would charge me a pro-rated account fee, since my balance went under $3K for a couple of days, hence why I kept some change in it just in case.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2018
1876 posts
2285 upvotes
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Has anyone successfully closed their Smart Account via secure message? I'll be closing mine in September and would like to avoid a branch visit if possible.
Nov 15, 2007
694 posts
219 upvotes
Finally closed my account today. Went to a branch, In and out within 5 minutes.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)