Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

[Cik] Cable Internet 30/10MB $49.99 Free Install (free modem if 1-year prepaid) QC

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 31st, 2015 5:45 pm
Apr 9, 2012
20 posts
12 upvotes
Montr

[Cik] Cable Internet 30/10MB $49.99 Free Install (free modem if 1-year prepaid) QC

Deal Link:
Price:
Savings:
28.57%
I live in Montreal, and I am searching for a cable ISP with reasonable price for quite a well.

I check Gemstelecom, Altimatel, tecksavvy and a few other ISP, they are all overpriced.

Then suddenly I found CIK, they are having a promotion plan for 49.99$, 30M/10M unlimited on monthly payment.
This is best price I have seen for 30M/10M unlimited Cable Internet offered in Montreal so far.

I did online chat with one of their agent ( ps. during midnight, they are offering 24/7 support) and I got the following info:

Pros:
1. Free Installation ( another 69.95$ saved)
2. Free modem if prepaid 1y service fee and sign 1y contract. ( the agent cannot confirm the model, their websit is showing DCM475).
3. You can keep this price forever, after 1y contract you can pay same price by month.
4. 24/7 support is really an advantage vs other small ISP
5. Lifetime warranty if you are using their modem.

Cons:
1. You need to return the modem if you cancel their service, even after 1y contract.
2. moving/re-installation is still 69.95$.
3. You will have to re-choose their in-Market plan if you move. This is a deal breaker, I asked whether they can do something to help by keeping the plan unchanged for at least one year, moved or not, and the agent told me a higher staff will call me back.
4. The agent cannot provide info about when this promotion will be ended.

In general, if you do not plan to move, and you live in QC ( Montreal | Chicoutimi | Gatineau | Quebec | Sherbrooke ), this is a good choice for ISP you can take.

My first deal post, correct me if there is anything missing or wrong.

PS, if you are living in On, check https://www.ciktel.com/ecm/eng/Resident ... rovince=ON for their ON promo price, seem like a good deal as well but I am not familior with On cable ISP price.
67 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2010
1849 posts
1090 upvotes
For the last 2-3 months they are struggling to maintain peek hour speeds. It crawls down to 2Mbps and they are going to start [15 Jan 2015] throttling people who use a lot during peak hours 6pm-midnight. Basically the top 300 users for that day will be throttled for the next 7 days. I don't mind them throttling heavy users during peak hours but not even able to stream SD netflix during that time has become a deal breaker for me.

Thinking about switching soon.
Nov 23, 2014
539 posts
473 upvotes
Toronto, ON
LOL...If it is new to you,that does not mean it's a HOT DEAL !
I am using CIK from over 2 years and paying $10 less than you, for the similar plan.

Anyways, thanks for posting !
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2014
2270 posts
1724 upvotes
fizz1234 wrote: For the last 2-3 months they are struggling to maintain peek hour speeds. It crawls down to 2Mbps and they are going to start [15 Jan 2015] throttling people who use a lot during peak hours 6pm-midnight. Basically the top 300 users for that day will be throttled for the next 7 days. I don't mind them throttling heavy users during peak hours but not even able to stream SD netflix during that time has become a deal breaker for me.

Hey. Where did you get this info from?
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2014
2270 posts
1724 upvotes
i'm currently getting slow speeds during peak hours in the evening And even during the day. It was now like this with a few weeks ago. really pissing me off and thinking of switching Isp
Mar 16, 2011
383 posts
76 upvotes
Toronto
fizz1234 wrote: For the last 2-3 months they are struggling to maintain peek hour speeds. It crawls down to 2Mbps and they are going to start [15 Jan 2015] throttling people who use a lot during peak hours 6pm-midnight. Basically the top 300 users for that day will be throttled for the next 7 days. I don't mind them throttling heavy users during peak hours but not even able to stream SD netflix during that time has become a deal breaker for me.

I'm experiencing the same and am thinking about switching soon. I called and they said they'll have everything fixed by January 15, 2015, but one month with such terrible internet speeds that can't even maintain Skype calls is atrocious.

Paying $49.99 for 45/4 and have been with them for more than a year without hiccups until recently. I'm getting between 10-25% packet loss and 100 jitter in my area on Sheppard and Midland. Speeds get throttled to 2Mbps and 0.5mbps upload for more than just the peak hours for me; I've been experiencing them at 3pm all the way until 6am the next day.
Alvord wrote: Hey. Where did you get this info from?
They sent out e-mails detailing the situation. They're keeping track and throttling the power users (I believe at this point that even regular users are throttled as well) and updating their network (well, Rogers is), but the upgrade process makes the internet practically unusable for its customers.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2005
1495 posts
1037 upvotes
Richmond
Heard quite a lot of bad experience with them in the Lower mainland BC. It got better about 3 weeks ago, but got worst again during X'mas.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2011
3633 posts
444 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL

Same here. I'm jumping ship ASAP. They've already started throttling btw. I couldn't even play online games yesterday when they suddenly limited our connection at 10pm. Google 'CIK Telecom' and check out the reviews.
May 19, 2005
952 posts
571 upvotes
Kingston
DO NOT SIGN UP FOR CIKTEL UNLESS YOU LIKE STONE AGE PEAK USE SPEEDS.

Period.

CIKTel is over selling their capabilities, STILL.

I was suckered in by their prices, only to be totally screwed, basically, you can't use your connection during the time of day you want to use it MOST.

If you ONLY plan to use your connection between midnight and noon, go for it, otherwise, pay more for a "real" internet company.

I'm switching as soon as I can find ANYONE to replace them....

BTW, this is a problem with CIKTel, ONLY. I came from Start Communications, and they provided EXCELLENT SERVICE. Exactly the speed advertised OR FASTER ALL THE TIME, never, not even a single time, had ANY slowdowns with Start, but virtually every single day with CIKTel. They're terrible.

Also, CIKTel's "customer service" is all contracted out from India, they don't know ANYTHING AT ALL about networks, and STRICTLY read from a script. Contacting their "customer service" is a complete and total waste of time.
Apr 9, 2008
564 posts
257 upvotes
Bby
Is there an English language site? It conmes up as Chinese for me.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2003
1430 posts
421 upvotes
Ottawa
RFDers don't let RFDers get raped: search for the numerous posts AGAINST CikTel here and at DSL Reports.
I lasted for 6 months with them and my 45meg connection went from 100% advertised speed to 1% as the user base grew.
Went to Start and now Ebox (also an option in MTL) and never had the same atrocious speeds...highly recommend both.

BTW: when I was with CikTel I sent numerous emails to even their CEO showing congestion on the link to HE (upstream) and I was always treated with respect BUT nothing changed.
Bandwidth costs money and they cut corners to offer these "deals".

Buyer beware. If you are like me depending on Internet for VoIP, TV and alarm system, spend a little extra rather than watch paint dry while Netflix is buffering.
To be or not to be...where is the question?
Banned
Nov 27, 2012
822 posts
183 upvotes
VANCOUVER
liquidnails wrote: Is there an English language site? It conmes up as Chinese for me.
English, 2 Chinese dialects and no french lol
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2014
1310 posts
718 upvotes
Montreal QC
Électronique Box has been excellent, 29$/mo for 30/10 1000GB, after six months it's 44.95..someting to consider, I've only had two minor outages for a few hours in the last six months. Speeds are always fast even peek time.

Buying 65$ modem required out of pocket, found on kijiji or third party vendors don't buy it ever from the isp it'd overpriced , I argued for the installation fee to be cut by 50%.
Deal Fanatic
May 13, 2005
5148 posts
5848 upvotes
Montreal
CikTel isn't good. People reports slow speed all over the place.

In Montreal, if you need 30Mbps unlimited cable internet then Acanac has good speed. I used Acanac 30Mbps for the past 2 years.

Now, I switched to Videotron 30Mbps unlimited cable internet for the same price as Acanac with the Videotron duo package (internet + mobile).

altima-cable-internet-30mb-39-99-free-i ... st21097901
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
3365 posts
3737 upvotes
Toronto
Please please please stay away from CiKTel/VMedia. They have had major issues for months. Most days the internet is entirely unusable or crawls slower than 56k from 5pm-midnight. If you try asking for account credit they make you call their number, which is often busy or says "the customer you are calling cannot accept any more calls". Then they promise to apply the credit but never do and mysteriously there's no record of your call. They are either horribly incompetent or are scam artists.
Nov 16, 2005
248 posts
11 upvotes
CIK is very fast when you don't need it, then when you need it most (at night), it offers you few K's only. Only good for people using it's service in daytime!. Wonder how they offer the TV services. Also, they are not give out the access to their modem, just unable to make any simple changes.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2010
1980 posts
433 upvotes
Toronto
1. You need to return the modem if you cancel their service, even after 1y contract.

therefore it is free rental and not free modem
Zoomer Wireless [on Rogers Network] $36 - 400 Canada Wide Minutes + 2GB LTE data
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2010
1849 posts
1090 upvotes
Shu wrote: 1. You need to return the modem if you cancel their service, even after 1y contract.

therefore it is free rental and not free modem
My order from last year shows "modem purchase discount" on the invoice but I guess I am under contract for another month. I want to switch but don't want to pay installation + modem charges [if the new provider doesn't let me use my modem]

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)