Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

CIKTel Ontario Cable Internet + Home Phone Service

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 28th, 2016 1:58 am
Feb 1, 2009
89 posts
54 upvotes
Toronto
My parents have CIK, they are indeed reliable and never go down. The problem is, almost all their reps and their own website is catered to the Chinese market. Meaning if you don't speak or write Chinese, you will find the service unbearable and fustrating no matter the small savings.
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11641 posts
2620 upvotes
Montreal
newdad123 wrote: My parents have CIK, they are indeed reliable and never go down. The problem is, almost all their reps and their own website is catered to the Chinese market. Meaning if you don't speak or write Chinese, you will find the service unbearable and fustrating no matter the small savings.
Teksavvy's direct forum = unbeatable service.
I just post my request and get it executed.
Usually if there is a technical problem, it's just a general outage (never happens) or it's my fault (I fix it,I don't ask for help).

I don't know if your parents are best placed to say whether it is reliable or not. There is a difference between an outage and a speed drop. It might never go down, but run no higher than 5mbps in the evening, which most casual users won't notice.
Deal Expert
Mar 1, 2008
19155 posts
9081 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
shoaibahmed wrote: I dont trust Chinese Newspaper, and it come after 1 or 2 month, you have to run around...
Racist much? That's like saying I don't believe you because you're brown.
RFD is love. RFD is life.
Banned
Apr 14, 2004
1394 posts
649 upvotes
Toronto
How is internet to Asia ? Can someone test and post trace routes ?
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2008
1858 posts
931 upvotes
alkizmo wrote: Teksavvy's direct forum = unbeatable service.
I just post my request and get it executed.
Usually if there is a technical problem, it's just a general outage (never happens) or it's my fault (I fix it,I don't ask for help).

I don't know if your parents are best placed to say whether it is reliable or not. There is a difference between an outage and a speed drop. It might never go down, but run no higher than 5mbps in the evening, which most casual users won't notice.
Please, stop posting this bullsh*t! Teksavvy is the same as any other third party provider on the market, especially recently. Check RFD thread, DSL forum, I don't know about Quebec but in Ontario September, October and for some areas even November they did have outages many times, as well as capacity issues, as a result - slowdowns during peak hours. Definitely, they do at least have a customer service, and technical support, it's true, but Start.ca also has an exceptional customer support, so what? Look at Teksavvy prices - it's dramatically overpriced Internet. Right now for new customers even Rogers can be a better choice...45/4 with Teksavvy - unlimited $99.95...even without any discounts, if you have all 3 services with Rogers the unlimited EXTREME PLUS will cost you less with Rogers. Plus, you have to buy a modem, another $60-100, and if you're so unlucky that a dispatch is required, doesn't matter if it's Teksavvvy, or Rogers fault, you will have to pay $100 out of your own pocket.
I can't see any point now for anyone to sign with Teksavvy, if you're OK with the higher prices, but you're looking for the really reliable service stay with Rogers, but if the price is matter, than be ready to deal with some issues that depends on your location and many other reasons, you might run into with any third party provider.
Third party providers are abandoned to the mercy of the Rogers.
Deal Expert
Mar 1, 2008
19155 posts
9081 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
NikyK wrote: Please, stop posting this bullsh*t! Teksavvy is the same as any other third party provider on the market, especially recently. Check RFD thread, DSL forum, I don't know about Quebec but in Ontario September, October and for some areas even November they did have outages many times, as well as capacity issues, as a result - slowdowns during peak hours. Definitely, they do at least have a customer service, and technical support, it's true, but Start.ca also has an exceptional customer support, so what? Look at Teksavvy prices - it's dramatically overpriced Internet. Right now for new customers even Rogers can be a better choice...45/4 with Teksavvy - unlimited $99.95...even without any discounts, if you have all 3 services with Rogers the unlimited EXTREME PLUS will cost you less with Rogers. Plus, you have to buy a modem, another $60-100, and if you're so unlucky that a dispatch is required, doesn't matter if it's Teksavvvy, or Rogers fault, you will have to pay $100 out of your own pocket.
I can't see any point now for anyone to sign with Teksavvy, if you're OK with the higher prices, but you're looking for the really reliable service stay with Rogers, but if the price is matter, than be ready to deal with some issues that depends on your location and many other reasons, you might run into with any third party provider.
Third party providers are abandoned to the mercy of the Rogers.
And to counter your BS..

No slowdowns or capacity issues during peak hours with Teksavvy cable. I live in GTA. Haven't had such issues from my experience for the past year or two. Yes they do have many outages, but I only got affected by them once so oh wells.

According to Rogers, Extreme Plus (45/4/150GB) is $78/month. Teksavvy is $55/month. Unless my brain is fried, that's $23 cheaper. Now of course, if you beg Rogers Retentions, then they'll give you an Internet plan that is far more reasonable in speeds and usage caps. If you get the right CSR. No one on DSLR seems to have ever been charged the $100 technician fee either. You don't get charged either unless there's something crazy wrong with your house, like you broke the Internet lines or something. At least that's my understanding.

Third party providers are abandoned to the mercy of Rogers, yes. But such as the way of the Internet here in Canada.
RFD is love. RFD is life.
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2008
1858 posts
931 upvotes
geokilla wrote: And to counter your BS..

No slowdowns or capacity issues during peak hours with Teksavvy cable. I live in GTA. Haven't had such issues from my experience for the past year or two. Yes they do have many outages, but I only got affected by them once so oh wells.

According to Rogers, Extreme Plus (45/4/150GB) is $78/month. Teksavvy is $55/month. Unless my brain is fried, that's $23 cheaper. Now of course, if you beg Rogers Retentions, then they'll give you an Internet plan that is far more reasonable in speeds and usage caps. If you get the right CSR. No one on DSLR seems to have ever been charged the $100 technician fee either. You don't get charged either unless there's something crazy wrong with your house, like you broke the Internet lines or something. At least that's my understanding.

Third party providers are abandoned to the mercy of Rogers, yes. But such as the way of the Internet here in Canada.
Depends on the area...some Teksavvy subscribers were affected only by outages, and again they did have many...while other areas dealt with capacity issues, check forums.

If you read my post, I mentioned 45/4 UNLIMITED Internet, cause for me, personally, 300 GB is not enough, and even though I know they offer Unlimited Usage between 2am and 8am...it's not convenient for me, I'm looking for "truly unlimited" Internet. Again 45/4 unlimited is $99.95 with Teksavvy, Rogers Extreme Plus is $78 (regular price), if you have again, 3 services with Rogers unlimited usage is $10, so, $88 Unlimited Rogers Extreme Plus. Plus like you mentioned no one nowadays is paying regular price you'll always get at least 15% or more discount.

I would say, we're a third world country when we talk about Internet, cell phones, appliances and so on...Kanata... :(

P.S. Also about $100 dispatch fee, I don't remember either on DSLR or here on RFD, someone posted the issue he had, Rogers were doing something with his neighbor's cable, and damaged/disconnected, don't remember exactly his cable. Definitely Internet was down, he called Teksavvy, they checked whatever they could and said they would send a technician, but if the cable was disconnected/damaged even by Rogers he had to pay $100 for a dispatch. He said, no way, and lucky is he, he had a friend who was a Rogers subcontractor, he came by and repaired the cable.
Again not everyone can be so lucky. So, it's a point to consider when you sign with a third party provider.
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2008
1858 posts
931 upvotes
geokilla wrote: And to counter your BS..

Just check links below, I posted just a few separate threads that were posted about speed issues recently, say nothing about different ongoing deal discussions.

From DSLR: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r280466 ... eak-hours-
Does anyone experience extremely slow speed during peak hours in the Scarborough area? I just ran a speed test and got 1.77mbps dl speed! off the peak hours the speed is between 17-22mbps
It's been like that for a couple of weeks now.. I opened a few tickets but no one bothers to call me back with an update, just wondering if it's an overload in the area or only my line?
Posted Feb. 2013

RFD: teksavvy-really-slow-during-peak-hours-1371857/
I have the Cable 25 plan from Teksavvy. Is it normal to get less than half of 25Mbps during peak hours?? I mean, I understand it would slower during those times.. but I'm only getting like 7-8Mbps... is that normal? What speeds are you guys getting during peak hours?
Posted August 2013
Deal Addict
Oct 28, 2005
2154 posts
212 upvotes
Anyone using CIK internet(either cable or DSL) at Stouffville can comment on speed & stability??
Sep 23, 2009
471 posts
74 upvotes
YYZ (GTA)
newdad123 wrote: My parents have CIK, they are indeed reliable and never go down. The problem is, almost all their reps and their own website is catered to the Chinese market. Meaning if you don't speak or write Chinese, you will find the service unbearable and fustrating no matter the small savings.
I have no problem communication with CIK in English, you just have to be patient with the reps though sometimes can be frustrating if you are in a hurry. Initially had plenty of connection issues (which were likely caused by Rogers) but now it is a breeze with near consistent speed for 25/2. Feels great even with the small savings :D compared to the big establishments where you get nickeled and dimed every (sometimes twice a year) > :( .

[IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/3127532924.png[/IMG]
Mar 2, 2002
439 posts
39 upvotes
Do you have any slowdown during peak periods?
Thanks
iluvagooddeal wrote: I have no problem communication with CIK in English, you just have to be patient with the reps though sometimes can be frustrating if you are in a hurry. Initially had plenty of connection issues (which were likely caused by Rogers) but now it is a breeze with near consistent speed for 25/2. Feels great even with the small savings :D compared to the big establishments where you get nickeled and dimed every (sometimes twice a year) > :( .

[IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/3127532924.png[/IMG]
Sep 23, 2009
471 posts
74 upvotes
YYZ (GTA)
bunyan69 wrote: Do you have any slowdown during peak periods?
Thanks
No slow downs at anytime but currently I am having problems using outlook mail client since CIK migrated to their new email servers in the weekend. Wondering anyone else having this issues, some incoming emails are received but I cannot send outgoing emails at all (SMTP server keeps asking for the password, not getting anywhere with their tech support). They are using port 2735 instead the normal default 25 for outgoing SMTP server.
Update: Problem finally solved. Under Logon Information - User Name: only "first.last" to be used, the @ciktel.net must be removed. This was not the case in the old profile.
Dec 26, 2012
71 posts
27 upvotes
Markham
Hi.

So I decided to give CIK cable internet a try. Everything was good on the first couple of days. But as of today here is how it stands. My internet is on and off. Last night took 5 mins to load google.ca 11:30pm. After contacting Support, I wasn't able to perform what they asked on my laptop. Windows is on its period. Rep. immediately said my laptop was broken, it was my laptops fault. So I resolved the issues and called back to find out that on my file it says my laptop is broken and that is why. I did a speed check with 3rd rep. on speedtest.net. I says 45mbps down and 3 up. Which I found weird because my internet is too slow. So I checked on other sites but they denied its credibility and only speedtest is authorized. Then I found out speedtest server was in Toronto so I selected new york. My speed is 1.2mbps download. So i did some tests since I still have by bell internet.

Speedtest Summary.

CIK 45mbps internet vs Bell Fibe 25

rogers speedtest
3mbps down/4 mbps up vs 24mbps down/9 mbps up

shaw speedtest
1.2mbps down/4 mbps up vs 24mbps down/9 mbps up

Primus speedtest
10mbps down/4 mbps up vs 24mbps down/9 mbps up

Speedtest.net Chicago server
2mbps down/4 mbps up vs 24mbps down/9 mbps up

Speedtest.net Toronto server
44+mbps down/4 mbps up vs 24+mbps down/9+ mbps up

Now I have to "see how it goes over the next few days and call back" since speedtest.net Toronto server says my speed is what it should be. They seem to be controlling my speed outside of Toronto. I am very tech savvy and don't need tech support, I need my internet to work. Probably will cancel, too bad. Gave it a shot to support the small guys. Just like I eat at mom and pops restaurants.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2003
1430 posts
421 upvotes
Ottawa
Ulfbert wrote: Now I have to "see how it goes over the next few days and call back" since speedtest.net Toronto server says my speed is what it should be. They seem to be controlling my speed outside of Toronto. I am very tech savvy and don't need tech support, I need my internet to work. Probably will cancel, too bad. Gave it a shot to support the small guys. Just like I eat at mom and pops restaurants.
My investigation lead to believe that the problem lies with Hurricane Electric, their upstream provider.
They have done some work 2 nights ago, but I still see full speed to TO servers and below 10Mbps (at peak time) elsewhere. HE is congested and not the internal CIK network.
Other ISPs (like Start) have more than 1 provider....I didn't read good things about HE.

We need to PUSH CIK to man up and take the issue head on with HE - write an email to Jack Don (Sr Mgr Support) @ jack.don@ciktel.com .
To be or not to be...where is the question?
Sep 23, 2009
471 posts
74 upvotes
YYZ (GTA)
Ulfbert wrote: Hi.
So I decided to give CIK cable internet a try. Everything was good on the first couple of days. But as of today here is how it stands. My internet is on and off. Last night took 5 mins to load google.ca 11:30pm. After contacting Support, I wasn't able to perform what they asked on my laptop. Windows is on its period. Rep. immediately said my laptop was broken, it was my laptops fault. So I resolved the issues and called back to find out that on my file it says my laptop is broken and that is why. I did a speed check with 3rd rep. on speedtest.net. I says 45mbps down and 3 up. Which I found weird because my internet is too slow. So I checked on other sites but they denied its credibility and only speedtest is authorized. Then I found out speedtest server was in Toronto so I selected new york. My speed is 1.2mbps download. So i did some tests since I still have by bell internet.
Try placing your modem right at the cable outlet (no splitters) and connect your laptop to verify again. You may be surprised at the results.

my speed for 25/2:
[IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/3186793586.png[/IMG]
Deal Guru
Jun 18, 2012
10924 posts
5459 upvotes
Toronto
now that Teksavvy is starting to charge for overages you guys should switch to CiKTel for truly unlimited.
FireChip wrote: what is better ciktel or vmedia?
they're the same. VMedia uses CiKTel. you may as well sign up directly to the source for the cheapest.

you can still get "Tier 3 Extreme High Speed up to 45M/4M Unlimited" for $49.99, but it's a hidden offer that you need to call in to get.
Jan 30, 2013
15 posts
could anybody answer my questions? 1, is cik internet speed steady? 2, two packages 45/4 or 25/2, any big difference for watching online video? 3, can the $69 activation fee be waived? thanks.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)