CIKTel Ontario Cable Internet + Home Phone Service

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 28th, 2016 1:58 am
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
1286 posts
40 upvotes
Mississauga
Changed to CIK (Customer is King) from CIA (Customer is A***ole). Getting twice the speed in Mississauga.
I only have 25/2 connection. Got it through an agent in previous thread for $40/mth. including modem (reimbursed $5/mth). So only paying $35 for 20 mths.
The only problem is, I can not use my 15 years router, so had to buy a new one.
Sep 23, 2009
367 posts
40 upvotes
crasher wrote:
Aug 9th, 2013 11:02 pm
Changed to CIK (Customer is King) from CIA (Customer is A***ole). Getting twice the speed in Mississauga.
I only have 25/2 connection. Got it through an agent in previous thread for $40/mth. including modem (reimbursed $5/mth). So only paying $35 for 20 mths.
The only problem is, I can not use my 15 years router, so had to buy a new one.
Forced out from 3web/distributel. Speed holding good in Scarborough. Tested over wireless connection through my router for 25M/2M plan.
Apr 20, 2003
779 posts
269 upvotes
Markham
iluvagooddeal wrote:
Aug 10th, 2013 5:46 am
Forced out from 3web/distributel.
Distributel should get a referral bonus from CIK for each person that jumped ship :razz:

Been playing around more with the IPTV, sideloaded Google Play store (but crashes every time I try to open it), ES File Explorer (couldn't see my networked PC though so couldn't try streaming from shared drive), PP TV, Viki (latter two are some asian streaming apps, dunno, not for myself, but they didn't have any problems).
Also hooked up my old Logitech MX Duo to it and it works great! Such a different experience using a real KB and mouse. Nice bonus that most of the extra buttons and media controls on the KB work (volume control slider, home button etc). Scroll on mouse also scrolls on screen so no need to click+hold+drag (but you can be scrolling for a long time. Not as quick as flicking on a touchscreen).
Haven't figured out how to add icons to homescreen though. Can't drag them out from the apps drawer. But anyway, nice little android box, definitely would recommend people getting a wireless mouse/kb set to go with it. Happy I prepaid for the whole year to get it for free.

Bah weep granah weep nini bong
HEAT: Link!
Sep 23, 2009
367 posts
40 upvotes
bk wrote:
Aug 13th, 2013 3:26 pm
Distributel should get a referral bonus from CIK for each person that jumped ship :razz:

Been playing around more with the IPTV, sideloaded Google Play store (but crashes every time I try to open it), ES File Explorer (couldn't see my networked PC though so couldn't try streaming from shared drive), PP TV, Viki (latter two are some asian streaming apps, dunno, not for myself, but they didn't have any problems).
Also hooked up my old Logitech MX Duo to it and it works great! Such a different experience using a real KB and mouse. Nice bonus that most of the extra buttons and media controls on the KB work (volume control slider, home button etc). Scroll on mouse also scrolls on screen so no need to click+hold+drag (but you can be scrolling for a long time. Not as quick as flicking on a touchscreen).
Haven't figured out how to add icons to homescreen though. Can't drag them out from the apps drawer. But anyway, nice little android box, definitely would recommend people getting a wireless mouse/kb set to go with it. Happy I prepaid for the whole year to get it for free.
My ES file explorer working ok, and actually stream movies from my external USB 3 hard drive. Next, I will try hooking up a powered USB hub so I will have KBD, Mouse and external drive (3TB) to play with, so nice to have mouse working. Still preferred wired devices.

Can't complaint much for this prime time speed (on 25/2 plan).
This one is false
Unreal
Update on CIK mail server in case your emails are not delivered/bounced back: but no ETA when it will be fixed.
"Sorry about this. Actually our IT department still investigate this as we found one of the spam servers is putting our ciktel.net email server in their blacklist and many of email servers are blocking our emails due to that. We have requested them to remove last Friday but seems they blocked again. It seems like someone, or some of our customers emails are hacked and might be using our email servers to send spam emails so caused this issue."
Feb 10, 2004
137 posts
8 upvotes
darksideleader wrote:
Jul 28th, 2013 5:15 pm
err not Titanium backup, just copied the APK.

Only got the free Chinese channels. For local channels, CIK just resells vmedia's service.
How do you get the apk file without root permission?
Oct 28, 2011
10 posts
Vaughan, Ontario
I switched from Acanac to CIK last Sunday. IPTV is out of stock and I have to call + e-mail several times to be aware of that, instead of notifying me prior of my activation.

Phone number porting is bad. When I sent the required doc to them via e-mail, it was ignore. After my CIK account activated, then CIK called me to provide the doc again, which is too late, and have to get a new phone number. I am happy that they let me choose the number, so no big complain, but for other reader, please be aware.

I received a white WiFI+VoIP box without brand. No login information is given to administrate this box, although I owned it (promotion is giving away free), they are not show any login information. When I makes many calls and e-mail to CIK, none of them know about the login or do not know what I am talking about. In one of strange day, one of their technical support called me and given me the WiFi admin password, which is user/cikvoip. However, they still not giving me the VoIP admin login, whose username is admin (I guess).

Without knowing the VoIP login, I can't use SIP phone client in Android, iOS, iPAD, PC, Mac, tablet. Most importantly, my entire house runs on VoIP network with my own SIP server trunk. Now my home phone is not usable due to them not giving me the login.

The technical support told me their SIP server is undergoing test, and unstable, so they are not releasing the information to customer. When it is fully tested, then they will release the info. I will rather they give me the information and let me configure my SIP server to mimic the same stability of their VoIP box than not giving me anything. I don't feel I own the VoIP+WiFi box. I do understand from customer support perspective to provide a better service to customer, but for VoIP, I don't see the point. They are certainly not using proprietor SIP server and protocol, and it is a regular VoIP server like many other service provider. I don't believe there is any different in using their VoIP box than standard SIP client running in Android/iSO/Windows/Mac/tablet. Technically, I don't believe this is VoIP instability, but a lie.

Another complaint that I would like to express is that they never send me any login information to their main web page. So I never able to check the CDR (call detail report) which they advertised, as well as call forward on busy/no answer. Surprisingly, the advance phone feature admin page required to call technical support (not customer support) to create an account. This cause additional delay and many calls/e-mail to get my account created. Luckily in the very last call at night, I managed to a support who understand what I am talking about, and immediately create the login for me (with e-mail notification when account created). So there are TWO technical support that knows their system so far.

I managed to get respond from their technical support and give me the login to their SIP server. He sent me the username and password in e-mail, and I checked out the SIP server from the VoIP white box. I am able to use X-lite to login and make/receive call.

On the Pros side, their Internet performance is as good as Acanac. Torrent download speed seems to be faster than Acanac when downloading movies. This proof Acanac is doing some throttling.

The VoIP phone quality is better than Acanac, although I don't like to attach analog phone to the VoIP box. I don't hear drop/echo/silent/unreachable like Acanac. I am 50% satisfy as I cannot get my 3CXPhone Server to work with their SIP server, but only X-lite in iPAD, Android, and Windows so far.

In summary, my complain and area of improvement for CIKtel are:
1. Phone porting is not responsive and it is a failure
2. WiFi router login is not given, but has to request
3. VoIP router login is not given, and will never be given
4. IPTV box out of stock, and not being notified, but received it after 1.5 week
5. Welcome e-mail with login info is not received. I have to request to get it (it was immediate)
6. Advance phone feature required to apply. No notification about this procedure, nor what is available in advance feature
7. VoIP login is slow to get and cannot 3CXPhone Server to login. It works in X-lite though
8. VoIP gateway (white box) cannot be configure to use other VoIP server, because login is not given

If CIKtel can update their FAQ to answer above questions, then they should able to minimize their customer complain, and call volume.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
1286 posts
40 upvotes
Mississauga
One month with CIK.
First week, modem and server were settling down, but still good. Next 2 weeks were great, Minimum speed I get was 25 MBps. 4th week got no internet. No signal coming from outside, checked with different modem too. Called them several time, and promised to send technician next day, 1 week later still no visit. As I only have VOIP so home phone neither works. Called for cancelling the service, and they hung up. Now their cancellation department will only come back on Tuesday, after long weekend. And my 30 service satisfaction days will pass, will not get any refund, and stuck with their $100 modem.
CIK made me SICK.
Caved in, and called Rogers to setup their extreme service(35/3) for $45/300g.
Had 0 problems with CIA/Distributel for so many years.
Deal Expert
Apr 30, 2003
24043 posts
4127 upvotes
Toronto
looks like there will be some scheduled slow downs...

Hello Valued Customer,

We are happy to announce our network upgrading on Rogers cable internet will be completed by September 10,2013. All customers on Rogers cable network will have the best speed optimized under your profile. From now to September 10, you might experience slow speed in rush hour at night.

As a commitment "Customer is the King", CIK is keeping upgrading our network to provide higher speed and we have done the following upgrading this year to increase the network capacity due to rapidly growing customers and providing new higher speed 25M, 45M and 150M.

March 21, 2013, we converted several 1GE fibers to first 10GE fiber and upgraded several POIs to provide 25M/45M and 150M.
June 6, 2013, we have added 2nd 10GE fiber
From June 6 to July 29, we have upgraded all rest of POIs so that we can provide 25M/45M and 150M
August 29,2013, we added the 4th 10GE upstream fiber
September 10, 2013, we will complete the capacity upgrading to maximum the speed in rush hour.

Now we are increasing network capacity every 3 weeks to match the speed of growing new customers. We apologize for the inconvenience caused by temporary slow speed during those upgrading. As a CIK valued customer, we appreciate your support and patience in the past years, with your support, CIK is becoming better and better and we are trying our best to provide best service with lowest price.

Thank you very much.
crasher wrote:
Aug 30th, 2013 10:18 pm
One month with CIK.
First week, modem and server were settling down, but still good. Next 2 weeks were great, Minimum speed I get was 25 MBps. 4th week got no internet. No signal coming from outside, checked with different modem too. Called them several time, and promised to send technician next day, 1 week later still no visit. As I only have VOIP so home phone neither works. Called for cancelling the service, and they hung up. Now their cancellation department will only come back on Tuesday, after long weekend. And my 30 service satisfaction days will pass, will not get any refund, and stuck with their $100 modem.
CIK made me SICK.
if they have record of you putting in a request to cancel before the 30 days then you should still be good. just wait for them to call back.

I'm still sticking around with them because now they started to be honest and the speeds are not bad.
Jan 20, 2008
62 posts
5 upvotes
call them for no internet issue! they hang up the phone!
Sep 23, 2009
367 posts
40 upvotes
crasher wrote:
Aug 30th, 2013 10:18 pm
One month with CIK.
CIK made me SICK.
Finally after 7 years with 3web, this morning saw all services in my account are cancelled. The 1st 3 years were full of frustrations as with any TPIAs. Now with CIK, after much delays and issues with their services during the month I can safely assume most problems has been overcome.
Sep 23, 2009
367 posts
40 upvotes
feels1 wrote:
Aug 30th, 2013 12:41 pm
I switched from Acanac to CIK last Sunday. IPTV is out of stock and I have to call + e-mail several times to be aware of that, instead of notifying me prior of my activation.

Phone number porting is bad. When I sent the required doc to them via e-mail, it was ignore. After my CIK account activated, then CIK called me to provide the doc again, which is too late, and have to get a new phone number. I am happy that they let me choose the number, so no big complain, but for other reader, please be aware.

I received a white WiFI+VoIP box without brand. No login information is given to administrate this box, although I owned it (promotion is giving away free), they are not show any login information. When I makes many calls and e-mail to CIK, none of them know about the login or do not know what I am talking about. In one of strange day, one of their technical support called me and given me the WiFi admin password, which is user/cikvoip. However, they still not giving me the VoIP admin login, whose username is admin (I guess).

Without knowing the VoIP login, I can't use SIP phone client in Android, iOS, iPAD, PC, Mac, tablet. Most importantly, my entire house runs on VoIP network with my own SIP server trunk. Now my home phone is not usable due to them not giving me the login.

The technical support told me their SIP server is undergoing test, and unstable, so they are not releasing the information to customer. When it is fully tested, then they will release the info. I will rather they give me the information and let me configure my SIP server to mimic the same stability of their VoIP box than not giving me anything. I don't feel I own the VoIP+WiFi box. I do understand from customer support perspective to provide a better service to customer, but for VoIP, I don't see the point. They are certainly not using proprietor SIP server and protocol, and it is a regular VoIP server like many other service provider. I don't believe there is any different in using their VoIP box than standard SIP client running in Android/iSO/Windows/Mac/tablet. Technically, I don't believe this is VoIP instability, but a lie.

Another complaint that I would like to express is that they never send me any login information to their main web page. So I never able to check the CDR (call detail report) which they advertised, as well as call forward on busy/no answer. Surprisingly, the advance phone feature admin page required to call technical support (not customer support) to create an account. This cause additional delay and many calls/e-mail to get my account created. Luckily in the very last call at night, I managed to a support who understand what I am talking about, and immediately create the login for me (with e-mail notification when account created). So there are TWO technical support that knows their system so far.

I plan to use network sniffer to hack the VoIP box and figure out the login so that I can use my home SIP server.

On the Pros side, their Internet performance is as good as Acanac. Torrent download speed seems to be faster than Acanac when downloading movies. This proof Acanac is doing some throttling.

The VoIP phone quality is better than Acanac, although I don't like to attach analog phone to the VoIP box. I don't hear drop/echo/silent/unreachable like Acanac. I will be 100% satisfy if they can give me the SIP login info.

In summary, my complain and area of improvement for CIKtel are:
1. Phone porting is not responsive and it is a failure
2. WiFi router login is not given, but has to request
3. VoIP router login is not given, and will never be given
4. IPTV box out of stock, and not being notified. ETA cannot be given as well
5. Welcome e-mail with login info is not received
6. Advance phone feature required to apply. No notification about this procedure, nor what is available in advance feature
7. VoIP login is not given and cannot use other SIP client in mobile device or desktop computer
8. VoIP cannot be configure to use other VoIP server, because login is not given

If CIKtel can update their FAQ to answer above questions, then they should able to minimize their customer complain, and call volume.
I went through them and did experienced all. For:
#1. Never cancel the phone # during the porting/transfer stage, you will loose your porting #. Let provider go through the process after giving them the authorization.
Sep 23, 2009
367 posts
40 upvotes
Fantaz wrote:
Sep 1st, 2013 2:32 am
looks like there will be some scheduled slow downs...

Hello Valued Customer,

We are happy to announce our network upgrading on Rogers cable internet will be completed by September 10,2013. All customers on Rogers cable network will have the best speed optimized under your profile. From now to September 10, you might experience slow speed in rush hour at night.

As a commitment "Customer is the King", CIK is keeping upgrading our network to provide higher speed and we have done the following upgrading this year to increase the network capacity due to rapidly growing customers and providing new higher speed 25M, 45M and 150M.

March 21, 2013, we converted several 1GE fibers to first 10GE fiber and upgraded several POIs to provide 25M/45M and 150M.
June 6, 2013, we have added 2nd 10GE fiber
From June 6 to July 29, we have upgraded all rest of POIs so that we can provide 25M/45M and 150M
August 29,2013, we added the 4th 10GE upstream fiber
September 10, 2013, we will complete the capacity upgrading to maximum the speed in rush hour.

Now we are increasing network capacity every 3 weeks to match the speed of growing new customers. We apologize for the inconvenience caused by temporary slow speed during those upgrading. As a CIK valued customer, we appreciate your support and patience in the past years, with your support, CIK is becoming better and better and we are trying our best to provide best service with lowest price.

Thank you very much.

if they have record of you putting in a request to cancel before the 30 days then you should still be good. just wait for them to call back.

I'm still sticking around with them because now they started to be honest and the speeds are not bad.
Honesty is good, this is what have this morning. Never had this before.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
1286 posts
40 upvotes
Mississauga
I had same impression. It is more than week, my internet is down. I was promised to have it fixed within 3 days. Never happened.
Just scares me for future as I use VOIP as only phone in home. 3 days ago called for cancellation, still no one called me back as promised. Their cancellation department is separate from customer service.
I seriously want them to provide me service, and they FAILED. Well at least companies like CIK forced Rogers to lower their prices, and become competitive. I still believe that Roger has something to do with this, as they were suppose to send the techs. But I was dealing with CIK and they should manage roger tech on their end, instead of telling me that techs not available.
Hopefully Rogers will have techs available for their own service.
Sep 23, 2009
367 posts
40 upvotes
crasher wrote:
Sep 1st, 2013 7:41 am
I had same impression. It is more than week, my internet is down. I was promised to have it fixed within 3 days. Never happened.
Just scares me for future as I use VOIP as only phone in home. 3 days ago called for cancellation, still no one called me back as promised. Their cancellation department is separate from customer service.
I seriously want them to provide me service, and they FAILED. Well at least companies like CIK forced Rogers to lower their prices, and become competitive. I still believe that Roger has something to do with this, as they were suppose to send the techs. But I was dealing with CIK and they should manage roger tech on their end, instead of telling me that techs not available.
Hopefully Rogers will have techs available for their own service.
My speed is back to normal.
This is what I were informed:
(1) they have over 60,000 customers today
(2) since early of this year built 6 national support centers each around 100 agents
(3) in August over 4000 new customers joined CIK
for #3, I will guess mostly customers signed up maybe from the 3webers who have been shafted out from distributel.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2005
1912 posts
41 upvotes
The technician came by yesterday and so far so good

× < >