Expired Hot Deals

[Cineplex] Cineplex: $65 Gift Pack w/$30 Gift Card + Buy $50 E-Gift Card, Get a $10 E-Gift Card

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 1st, 2013 4:09 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2011
1755 posts
793 upvotes
Toronto
Wow so I just found out if I buy 2 tickets in a single transaction then you only get 100 scene points instead of 200. To get the 200 points, I'd need to do two separate transactions. wtf.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2007
2462 posts
459 upvotes
Toronto
crystallight wrote:
Nov 18th, 2012 8:11 pm
Wow so I just found out if I buy 2 tickets in a single transaction then you only get 100 scene points instead of 200. To get the 200 points, I'd need to do two separate transactions. wtf.
Yeah, it's stupid how it works. I usually purchase one at the machine, and then one at the cashier if the line is empty.
May 28, 2007
538 posts
24 upvotes
GTA
sweetvar26 wrote:
Nov 18th, 2012 7:26 pm
My birthday is in December, I am looking for the best possible deal I can get. I know I have few movies that I really want to see coming up like Life of Pie, The Hobbit and Jack Reacher.

Should I be buying the gift card at the theatres or go for the e-gifts?
Can you buy the $50 egift first, then use that total $6o to buy two $30 gift packs?
Sep 4, 2005
203 posts
71 upvotes
I have to chime in on the free refills thing (sorry I know it is off topic). This is a great example how corporate greed can backfire. My wife and I go to Tuesday movies often. We used to always get the $12 Lg. Drink, Lg. Popcorn and Candy deal. Since they changed to no free refills we have a real hard time justifying that, so we started bringing our own drinks and just getting the Lg. Popcorn ($5). So Cineplex being too cheap to pay the pennies it costs for free refills (and it does only cost them pennies) now costs them $7 per movie we attend.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2007
1214 posts
18 upvotes
Real_Deal wrote:
Nov 18th, 2012 11:01 pm
I have to chime in on the free refills thing (sorry I know it is off topic). This is a great example how corporate greed can backfire. My wife and I go to Tuesday movies often. We used to always get the $12 Lg. Drink, Lg. Popcorn and Candy deal. Since they changed to no free refills we have a real hard time justifying that, so we started bringing our own drinks and just getting the Lg. Popcorn ($5). So Cineplex being too cheap to pay the pennies it costs for free refills (and it does only cost them pennies) now costs them $7 per movie we attend.
Same here, unless I end up staying there for watching a double feature, I take my own drinks now.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2008
1647 posts
127 upvotes
Thornhill
so anyone figured out if you can use the buy one get one free on no-passes movies?
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2004
3311 posts
181 upvotes
Thornhill
Free admission with a purchase of a ticket is about $13 + Free admission on your birthday -$13 + 4ish for pop corn That's already about $30.
For those who goes a lot to the movies, it's super hot deal!!
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2004
3311 posts
181 upvotes
Thornhill
crystallight wrote:
Nov 18th, 2012 11:56 pm
Is it illegal to bring our own drinks/food in?
I don't know(it doesn't say anywhwere). I always bring my own stuff. I kind of think it's stupid to buy a $10 soda when you can get the same thing across the street for $1...
May 5, 2002
148 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
crystallight wrote:
It's against the company's policy, and they have the option to ask you to comply or deny you entrance.

It's not "illegal", since Cineplex doesn't make the laws of the land.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2007
2462 posts
459 upvotes
Toronto
ndsouza wrote:
Nov 19th, 2012 12:18 am
It's against the company's policy, and they have the option to ask you to comply or deny you entrance.

It's not "illegal", since Cineplex doesn't make the laws of the land.
I've never seen employees search bags ever. So as long as you bring a bag then he should be a-okay.

As long as you don't bring a semi-automatic and a handgun.

Please don't.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2006
1816 posts
473 upvotes
crystallight wrote:
if you count our greek salad from Costco, or the multiple tubs of hagendaz, starbuck lattes, assrt snacks, bottled water.....pretty sure Cineplex doesn't care.
we still buy the sweet potato fries and once in a while and the grossly overpriced popcorn.
Mar 27, 2012
17 posts
1 upvote
MARKHAM
Re the 'no passes' clause for 2 for 1 coupons, was able to use it this weekend for Skyfall at Eglinton Theatre with no problem at all, ymmv
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2008
1586 posts
278 upvotes
Aurora
Real_Deal wrote:
Nov 18th, 2012 11:01 pm
I went one step further and stopped going altogether. Way more convenient to watch at home on the big screen with better picture and sound, plus a hundred other conveniences.

If they don't change their archaic business practice soon they will end up like all the movie rental places... bankrupt.
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2004
1330 posts
264 upvotes
We still have the free refills at the local Cineplex and Empire theatres and it's well worth it for a family. But as far as those archaic business practices, we can't really blame the movie chains for them leading to bankruptcy.

It all starts with the greedy movie studios. They take the majority of the profit the first few weeks the movie is out in theatres. I think it's something like 80% of the gross in the first 4 weeks. Something dumb like that. But as the movie gets "older", the movie chains start making "pure" profit but in today's world, doesn't add up anymore since there are so many theatrical releases, a movie comes and goes in less than 4 weeks. So the chains have to hike the prices of their concessions to make profit.

It's too bad as going to the movies is a fun experience but getting pricey and more worth it staying at home and watch it on plasma when no one kicks your seat at the back or turns their cellphones on to text people.

BTW, I too smuggle drinks. A good hint, some chains have soda machine with 710 ml bottles of Coke. Just bring one inside, no one knows you bought it at the machine or took it from home since they sell the product.
They are $4 each in the machine but if you get them on sale (6 packs for $2 like over the weekeend at SDM), you're laughing.
× < >