Expired Hot Deals

[Cineplex] Cineplex: $65 Gift Pack w/$30 Gift Card + Buy $50 E-Gift Card, Get a $10 E-Gift Card

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 1st, 2013 4:09 pm
May 8, 2012
254 posts
29 upvotes
Ottawa
Can you buy a 50$ egift card and use it to buy another 50$ egift card? If so this is extremely hot, as you can get infinite bonus 10$ egift cards, and redeem those for a $50 ecard too, thus bypassing the Jan 31 '12 expiry date.

EDIT: Doesn't seem like you can pay for the ecard with anything other than a credit card. Oh well.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
1340 posts
90 upvotes
MonctonMan wrote:
Nov 9th, 2012 11:44 am
I realize sugar is cheap, but it ain't free!
You realize cineplex isn't paying any more for the sugar -- they're most likely just pocketing the extra profit. The sugar cane workers aren't seeing any extra profit that Cineplex takes in from stopping free refills on drinks.
adamm
Jan 24, 2012
10 posts
This seems like a good deal if you're someone who already goes to the Cinplex often. The free and 2 for 1 admissions alone can easily save $25 or more, plus free upgrade is nice as well. I don't care so much for the concession freebies as it seems like you have to buy a fair amount of stuff just to get the free item.

It isn't explicitly stated how to get the Gift Pack if you order on-line. That, coupled with the "processing fee", means I'm just going to get it in-store.

BTW: If you're a Scene card holder (and why wouldn't you be, it's free) you will get 300 points (instead of the regular 100) if you see Skyfall before November 15th. Seeing as Skyfall looks amazing, this is just icing on the cake. I can't find any mention of the promotion on the scene website but I have recieved multiple emails from them about.
Deal Addict
May 6, 2012
2733 posts
507 upvotes
CheapoFillipo wrote:
Nov 9th, 2012 1:31 pm
at the cost they are selling it, its not more expensive than gold either!! (not sure if your video was on topic or not, but here's the synopsis)
I never thought of it but i'm with ijustgotadeal. For the price they charge and the extra costs is actually cost them, they should have kept it, greedy bstrds!
Movie theatres make barely anything from ticket sales. Most of it goes right to the distributors, plus they have lots of costs for maintaining the building, employees, etc. So where are they supposed to make money? Concessions. So no, they're not greedy.

I think they could stand to benefit from looking at their pricing strategy though. I think a LOT more people would get concessions if they slashed the prices by 25-50%.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2004
9306 posts
191 upvotes
VanceMendoza wrote:
Nov 9th, 2012 8:02 pm
Movie theatres make barely anything from ticket sales. Most of it goes right to the distributors, plus they have lots of costs for maintaining the building, employees, etc. So where are they supposed to make money? Concessions. So no, they're not greedy.

I think they could stand to benefit from looking at their pricing strategy though. I think a LOT more people would get concessions if they slashed the prices by 25-50%.
That's the problem. Instead of putting pressure on the movie studios/distributors to get a better share of the revenue - they just pass on the costs to the consumer thru the insane prices on concessions. Easier for them to do this.
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2011
1030 posts
157 upvotes
Vancouver
I haven't been to a movie in a while.......what's a "premium upgrade"?

Also you could use the gift card to purchase the BOGO ticket couldn't you?
Deal Addict
May 6, 2012
2733 posts
507 upvotes
Montague wrote:
Nov 9th, 2012 8:09 pm
That's the problem. Instead of putting pressure on the movie studios/distributors to get a better share of the revenue - they just pass on the costs to the consumer thru the insane prices on concessions. Easier for them to do this.
Because filmmaking is extremely risky as a business. They still only get like 60% of the box office. So they make a movie that costs 100M after marketing costs and productions costs and the movie makes 150M in box office, it's STILL not enough and they'll have to pray on DVD sales.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2004
9306 posts
191 upvotes
VanceMendoza wrote:
Nov 9th, 2012 8:56 pm
Because filmmaking is extremely risky as a business.
It's risky because they are putting out movies that cost $200 million dollars. And frankly I don't particularly trust Hollywood bean counters (according to them, virtually no movies ever make any money)

eg., The writer for Forrest Gump had to sue the movie studio as the later claimed it didn't make any money and thus gave him nothing for his share of the movie profits. In another example I've seen where one of the Harry Potter movies grossed over 900 million dollars yet on paper claimed a 100+ million dollar loss!
Deal Fanatic
Apr 30, 2003
6642 posts
311 upvotes
Toronto
VanceMendoza wrote:
Nov 9th, 2012 8:02 pm

Montague wrote:
Nov 9th, 2012 8:09 pm
Cineplex posted that their profits double in the last quarter. This was due to their increased pricing on tickets for the premium experience eg. Imax/AVX/3D sales. They do make quite a bit of money on concessions, but ticket sales makes money for them too.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-in ... le5085015/
Sep 23, 2008
342 posts
37 upvotes
Toronto
ryehigh17 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2012 1:13 pm
Did anyone buy the $50 e-card and use it to buy the $30 physical card?
I want to know if this works as well.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2009
2027 posts
342 upvotes
PCDawg wrote:
Nov 9th, 2012 10:19 pm
Cineplex posted that their profits double in the last quarter. This was due to their increased pricing on tickets for the premium experience eg. Imax/AVX/3D sales. They do make quite a bit of money on concessions, but ticket sales makes money for them too.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-in ... le5085015/

That increase was also due to one-time gain in purchasing the AMC theatres where they receive tax loss credits since the theatres were losing money.

But the VIP and AVX are their innovation, so they give the movie studios their usual cut and keep the extra -- and nothing wrong with that, if people are paying for it, no one can call them greedy, it means there is a market for it -- and personally I LOVE the VIP cinemas, except for Big blockbusters like Avengers, I would much rather watch a movie there.
× < >