Jan 19, 2005
1495 posts
26 upvotes
odelorr wrote:
Dec 5th, 2016 6:30 pm
Few theories:
  • Very few people check non-Hot Deals threads
  • New RFD members are confused by the group buy process
  • Perceived discount is no longer that high (~7 per ticket vs ~9 per ticket)
  • New movies aren't that great
There's some of that, yeah.

But there's also this whole slew of digital TV boxes (Android TV, Apple TV) that's allowed people to simply stream whatever they want to see easily, without going over to a theatre. I know, because I live two blocks away from one and the only time I'd go see a movie now is if it's some epic release (like the new Avengers movie, Batman, Superman) or something in IMAX that I really want to see. And those movies come out every few months, if that...

Plus there's still that Tuesday discount in effect, where the tickets are like $7 still...

And I'm sure there are plenty more factors in play.

With that said, I'm considering jumping in on this group buy as well just to get some gift tickets to give out for Xmas...
Last edited by fantom on Dec 6th, 2016 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
May 20, 2010
3285 posts
418 upvotes
Super Synagogio Worl…
In for 10. Payment sent.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2004
1642 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto
In for 20 tickets. Payment will follow. please check PM.
Mar 18, 2015
679 posts
121 upvotes
Antarctica
Chickinvic wrote:
Dec 6th, 2016 5:12 pm
While I agree with most everything you've said, I don't think any of those things have changed materially over the past few years. Those conditions all existed before, but more and more people are pirating movies that are still in the theatre. Even middle aged fogies like my friends are doing this. I swear I'm the only person I know who doesn't do this (I also don't steal music).
Netflix and music streaming wasn't the norm back then. Many people have switched and public indexers are getting worse (or being shutdown). Although I suppose those IPTV boxes are replacing all that.

Anyhow I know I no longer feel compelled to go to the theatre unless it is really something I want to see. Besides we also have to factor in the fact that we are producing more and more content each year, there is a limit to how much you can consume. It is really getting overwhelming.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
2476 posts
770 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Crichtonfan wrote:
Dec 14th, 2016 1:21 pm
Netflix and music streaming wasn't the norm back then. Many people have switched and public indexers are getting worse (or being shutdown). Although I suppose those IPTV boxes are replacing all that.

Anyhow I know I no longer feel compelled to go to the theatre unless it is really something I want to see. Besides we also have to factor in the fact that we are producing more and more content each year, there is a limit to how much you can consume. It is really getting overwhelming.
Those things were absolutely the norm back then (I'm not talking about decades ago, just the difference in demand from a few years ago when OP was running these things). I do absolutely agree with much of what you've said though, and I too only feel compelled to go to the theatre for something really special (for example, last year's new Star Wars movie).
Apr 2, 2009
85 posts
5 upvotes
Chickinvic wrote:
Dec 14th, 2016 4:19 pm
Those things were absolutely the norm back then (I'm not talking about decades ago, just the difference in demand from a few years ago when OP was running these things). I do absolutely agree with much of what you've said though, and I too only feel compelled to go to the theatre for something really special (for example, last year's new Star Wars movie).
I used to participate in group buys at work but then it ended. Didn't realize until now that there was an ongoing RFD group buy. Someone just asked me if I wanted to participate with their corporate group buy otherwise I would have ordered my 30 tickets here instead.

I don't buy every year because we (2 adults, 2 kids) get tired of the quality of movies available. Furthermore, in Vancouver you either have Scotiabank Theatre downtown where parking is too expensive to use routinely for movies or one drives to the suburb of Richmond (Silvercity Riverport) for the free parking. There's not enough Cineplex locations conveniently located with free parking - an issue when you're taking the family. It doesn't help that the theatres are pushing 3D which we don't care to pay extra for and non-3D times are more limited.

As someone with knowledge of streaming, nzb indexers, Plex, NAS boxes etc I can tell you that has no influence on discouraging me from going to the cinema. There's nothing like big screen with big sound. If Hollywood made higher quality movies that played longer rather than non-stop garbage playing for short periods and opened up more locations with free parking I'd be buying tickets regularly.
Mar 28, 2010
591 posts
135 upvotes
Toronto
In for 20 tickets, sent EMT to email. Please check PM for address and password.

Thanks!
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel