Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Cineplex.com

FREE - ***Unlimited Movie Rentals (READ MORE INSIDE)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 3rd, 2020 2:28 pm
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2011
11896 posts
24207 upvotes
EananC641158 wrote: Yeah seems they have cancelled all codes. Oh well.
Did anyone see it posted somewhere?

Now everyone can move on and stop being upset they didn't receive any codes!

At least my 5 movies are still reserved in my account ready to be watched! ;)
May 16, 2016
47 posts
74 upvotes
Are they allowed to just cancel all the codes? There's nothing in the rules about them having the right to cancel all codes.

Did anyone try to contact Cineplex to get their code reinstated?
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2011
11896 posts
24207 upvotes
sunnyday99 wrote: Are they allowed to just cancel all the codes? There's nothing in the rules about them having the right to cancel all codes.

Did anyone try to contact Cineplex to get their code reinstated?
Cineplex has nothing to do with this, it's Orville who obviously contacted them cancelling all codes.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2017
1948 posts
2463 upvotes
And understandable why. They got zero promotion from this since it lasted a few hours, yet would be sinking tens of thousands into it.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2008
1954 posts
1477 upvotes
Dont feel so bad I didn't get any codes now
May 16, 2016
47 posts
74 upvotes
EananC641158 wrote: And understandable why. They got zero promotion from this since it lasted a few hours, yet would be sinking tens of thousands into it.
Actually, no it's not understandable.

It's not our fault they poorly planned and designed the contest, and it ran out in a few hours because of people taking multiple codes.

They should have foreseen this, and made better safeguards so it would be one code per person, or at least slow down the using of the codes.

Now it means that the people who only took one code also lose their right to use it.

Does anyone know what the Canadian laws are for this sort of thing? Once a contest is designed and legally written up, aren't they obliged to keep up their end of the bargain and honour it, the way it was written and implemented, regardless if it was poorly thought out?

By these standards, what's to stop a company from organizing a contest giving a boat away as a prize, then taking it away from the winner because of any excuse they make up?

Orville, please honour the prizes as given, at least to those that only took one in good faith.

Edit: I guess they do have the right: "Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion to terminate the Promotion, in whole or in part, and/or modify, amend or suspend the Promotion, and/or these Official Terms and Conditions in any way, at any time, for any reason without prior notice."

It's still a crappy thing to do when it's their own fault the contest was badly designed and implemented. Shame on you, Conagra Brands Canada (Orville Redenbacher Popcorn), and Elite Digital Inc.
Last edited by sunnyday99 on Feb 19th, 2020 6:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2011
11896 posts
24207 upvotes
sunnyday99 wrote: Actually, no it's not understandable.

It's not our fault they poorly planned and designed the contest, and it ran out in a few hours because of people taking multiple codes.

They should have foreseen this, and made better safeguards so it would be one code per person, or at least slow down the using of the codes.

Now it means that the people who only took one code also lose their right to use it.

Does anyone know what the Canadian laws are for this sort of thing? Once a contest is designed and legally written up, aren't they obliged to keep up their end of the bargain and honour it, the way it was written and implemented, regardless if it was poorly thought out?
So form a group and take it up with Orville.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but what can you do.

Also, ADMINISTRATOR: The Administrator of the Promotion is Elite Digital Inc. <- Maybe they had something to do with this!

thelordofminers8 wrote:
PROMOTION PERIOD: The “Promotion Period” starts on February 14, 2020 at 12:00 AM (midnight) Eastern Time (“ET”) and ends on March 30, 2020 at 11:59:59 PM ET but is only available while supplies last. Limit of 9,800 (nine-thousand eight-hundred) “Codes”, defined below, in this Promotion are available. Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion to terminate the Promotion, in whole or in part, and/or modify, amend or suspend the Promotion, and/or these Official Terms and Conditions in any way, at any time, for any reason without prior notice.
Jan 17, 2019
594 posts
980 upvotes
Toronto
Well I emailed the "Orville 50 elite digital help" email about the codes not working and they told me "We're looking into this and will get back to you." There may be hope still.
Dec 26, 2006
571 posts
261 upvotes
Calgary
lol, told ya they would shut this down.
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2011
11896 posts
24207 upvotes
thelordofminers8 wrote: Well I emailed the "Orville 50 elite digital help" email about the codes not working and they told me "We're looking into this and will get back to you." There may be hope still.
I did the same, but wanted to wait for the outcome before posting!
Orville Redenbacher

9:10 AM (12 hours ago)

to me

Hi IDStorms,

We're looking into this and will get back to you.

I would also like to note we are unable to reissue that many codes should we decide to reinstate them,
but as a goodwill gesture, we could make a one time exception and possibly issue up to a maximum of 25 codes for you to redistribute.

On Tue, Feb 18, 2020 at 11:07 AM IDStorms <********> wrote:

Hi, I'd like to know why my Cineplex codes are no longer working.

During your promotion there must have been a glitch with your website because my request wouldn't go through,
so I kept retrying, but had the same problem every time, so I frantically kept hitting the submit button.

To my surprise, I eventually ended up with 51 promotional codes!

Since I didn't need so many codes, I gave away most, but now people are upset that these codes are not working.

Can you please help?

Thanking you for your time,

IDStorms

*** All the above is purely fictional, except the line that reads "We're looking into this and will get back to you." ;)
Feb 15, 2020
6 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Hi Folks,

Just wanted to mention that when I saw the original post, I went ahead and got one code.

I used it last night on Cineplex and had no issues at all.

I can't speak for everyone, but at least as a "one code received" person, it worked perfectly.....and my kids enjoyed the movie we watched! (And we had Orville popcorn, too, as that just seemed like the right thing to do!) Smiling Face With Open Mouth

Maybe they deactivated instances where too many codes were issued to the same person.

Hope this helps.

Thanks again to the OP as it was a fun night watching the movie yesterday.
Apr 14, 2019
116 posts
137 upvotes
I got 2 codes, different email addresses.

Used one code on the 16th and the other one last night.

Codes are still working.
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2011
11896 posts
24207 upvotes
EananC641158 wrote: Did anyone ever hear back from them?
Yes...
Thank you very much for contacting us.
We greatly appreciate your engagement with the Orville 50th Anniversary Family Day Movie promotion.
As the Administrator of the contest, we must abide by the Terms and Conditions of the program as seen here: https://orville50.com/rules
Based on those terms, there is a limit of 1 code per participant.
The true spirit of the program was to celebrate Family Day with as many Canadians as possible.
In instances where it became clear that the Terms and Conditions had been violated, the codes, even if sent by email, were deactivated and voided.
If you had requested or received multiple codes, the first code you received is still active and can be redeemed.

Thank you for your understanding and please stay tuned for more upcoming promotions.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)