• Feb 19th, 2013 10:19 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jun 7, 2006
777 posts
6 upvotes

Cineplex and Empire Theatres buys Canadian A.M.C. Theatres

A.M.C. Theatres had announced today, they are getting out of the Canadian market by selling its Canadian locations to Empire and Cineplex.

For Empire Theatres locations:
http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/997795/ ... c-theatres

AMC Kanata 24

AMC Whitby 24

They will be rebranded as Empire Theatres.

For Cineplex locations:
http://www.digitaljournal.com/pr/764664

AMC Courtney Park

AMC Yonge & Dundas

AMC Winston Churchill

AMC Forum

They will be rebranded as Cineplex Odeon.

The fate of Interchange 30 and Kennedy Commons still have not decided yet.
83 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
8728 posts
294 upvotes
Toronto
Interesting. So now it is almost a Monopoly (except for the drive inns, but they are far and few between). I have never been to an Empire theatre. What do they charge? Does Empire have a reward program like Scene and the AMC points program?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2004
6935 posts
78 upvotes
This is too bad. I liked the breadth of stuff that AMC would show - not just mainstream fare but a lot of independent stuff as well.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
6314 posts
476 upvotes
Victoria
I used to go to the Empire Theatres in downtown Edmonton. It used to be kind of crappy (I think they acquired it from ciniplex when ciniplex bought out famous players and had to discard some theatres). Then they renovated and it was much better. There were 8-10 screens. Two of which were a fair big size and the rest moderately smaller. It was pretty nice after the renos.

They always kept their prices a buck or two under cineplex. Empire also offered discounts on matinees where ciniplex didn't. (which meant we usually went to see movies in the afternoon).
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2004
4877 posts
444 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
Has anyone heard when this will take into effect and if Cineplex will accept AMC passes?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2005
6773 posts
270 upvotes
Ottawa
LOVE LOVE Empire! I hate Cineplex as all their chairs are just meh and a lot are uncomfortable! I want nice seats when I go to the movies!!! I also hate how Cineplex isn't that keen in upgrading their theatres where Empire is.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2010
3836 posts
483 upvotes
If Empire will take over the interchange 30 location i might try them. The AMC there was pretty poor. Prices were much higher and i didn't feel like i got anything extra there for the money.
It's also VERY close to the Cineplex Colossus so they have a strong competition going on there (on paper at least)
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2008
3672 posts
772 upvotes
setell wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2012 12:13 pm
LOVE LOVE Empire! I hate Cineplex as all their chairs are just meh and a lot are uncomfortable! I want nice seats when I go to the movies!!! I also hate how Cineplex isn't that keen in upgrading their theatres where Empire is.
I don't know where you live, but it's almost perfectly opposite where I live (lower mainland BC)
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2006
2055 posts
74 upvotes
will this be the end of $6 am movies. ????

The winston churchill location is a stonesthrow away from silvercity mississauga on dundas/403.
"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither" - Benjamin Franklin.
Dec 23, 2006
816 posts
54 upvotes
Oshawa
Billa-786 wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2012 9:06 pm
That is the first thing that came to mind for me (Whitby location in my case). I got Friday mornings to catch 1 or 2 of the new weekly offerings. I'm going to assume this will be the case, which will suck big time.

And my next concern is that I don't think Empire has a rewards program. Not that the AMC one was that great, but at least you got something. This bums me out.
Jun 5, 2010
335 posts
144 upvotes
Toronto
Billa-786 wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2012 9:06 pm

The winston churchill location is a stonesthrow away from silvercity mississauga on dundas/403.
This is what I'm worried about too. I live downtown Toronto, and go to AMC Yonge and Dundas most weekend mornings for a cheap movie (with great chairs and an empty theatre). It'll be sad if morning movies go away.

And the fate of Interchange 30 will be interesting, considering it's across the street from Colossus.
Deal Guru
Oct 22, 2009
10520 posts
1752 upvotes
Toronto
Hard_Taco wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2012 4:34 am
Cineplex will honour A.M.C. passes.

https://getsatisfaction.com/amc_theatre ... ing_canada

But they are only honoring it according to the text only for the next 6 months. :(

Do you think we can get Cineplex Movie Admit Ones as replacements for the AMC Passes if we want, since the AMC passes expires in a year? I have a few AMC movie passes and that would suck to lose them.

What about the MovieWatcher points that members have collected ...how will Cineplex replace those? Will it give them Scene points instead?
~~~~~~~~~~> Get...THAT DEAL...Over Here!!!
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2004
4877 posts
444 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
Hard_Taco wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2012 4:34 am
Cineplex will honour A.M.C. passes.

https://getsatisfaction.com/amc_theatre ... ing_canada
Was at AMC Yonge Dundas last night, they told me they are switching over to Cineplex in about 3 weeks and will be honouring the passes until 'the winter'.
I think if you raise a fuss they will sort things out for you. Just do it sooner than later if you have a bunch of passes.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 6, 2004
6109 posts
251 upvotes
Toronto
I have about 5 AMC passes left from the last group buy and wanted to get in on another one or do another, but not so sure yet and orders are on hold. What I wanna know is since AMC will cease to exist in Canada in a few months, will all Cineplex + Empire locations accept AMC gold passes or just the ones that were converted to Cineplex / Empire? If they all will accept then it would could be hot buy, but only for 180 days. Something tells me this may be extended and whats odd about this is they don't actually list a expiry date, like 180 days from when?

They just posted this messag eon the official AMC site:

We are currently out of stock of Gold Tickets, we apologize for the inconvenience. All orders placed containing Gold Tickets will be placed on backorder until 6-25-2012 and will ship on 6-25-2012.

https://www.amcnationalsales.com/bulk/splash.aspx

So yesterday was the last day to order Gold passes? I wonder if a price increase is to follow.
Ne0's items:Finito
♠ G@mer & t3<h [onnoisseur ♠ Spitting t3<hy lingo since the 80's

Send PM's HERE♠ eBay|600+ ♠ | XB360 GT:Ask? ♠ PSN ID:ILLmatic_KINGPIN
× < >