Entertainment

Cineplex - no more Scene points with Timeplay?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 2nd, 2018 9:08 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
15955 posts
12541 upvotes
Toronto

Cineplex - no more Scene points with Timeplay?

Used to be you could get up to 100 Scene points by playing Timeplay at the movies. Then it dropped to 50.

Went yesterday (Yonge/Dundas) and now no Scene points at all for playing the game. Where else is this the case? Chain-wide? No real reason to play anymore...
An earlier version of this article incorrectly described a behavior of crows exposed to crow corpses. Live crows only touch, attack and attempt intercourse with crow corpses, they do not scavenge them. (Actual NYT correction)
101 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
14160 posts
1008 upvotes
sprung wrote:
Dec 28th, 2014 9:19 am
Used to be you could get up to 100 Scene points by playing Timeplay at the movies. Then it dropped to 50.

Went yesterday (Yonge/Dundas) and now no Scene points at all for playing the game. Where else is this the case? Chain-wide? No real reason to play anymore...
Did you win?
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
1765 posts
213 upvotes
North York
I went to the hobbit on Xmas and timeplay didn't even show up. This was at Fairview which does have it unlike empress.

The last time I did play, you had to be first to get 50 points and 2-10 got 25 points. No longer guaranteed points if you finish out of the top ten.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2007
1466 posts
403 upvotes
Last time I did it was exodus and it was 50pts for 1-5 and 25pts for 6-10. I missed it for the hobbit but I think it was the same.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
4193 posts
1263 upvotes
They have turned it into Interactive advertising.

Seriously, Win Chances to win a Phone ....

Wow.

1st place gets 10 chances.

So generous.

They should have kept it as a free popcorn or drink for first and 50-100 scene points for other positions.

But, they would rather give out $0 and have people watch the ads anyways.

I think Timeplay doesn't exist for IMAX movies (at least I have never seen timeplay on them).
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2004
10943 posts
419 upvotes
Markham/Mississauga
renoldman wrote:
Dec 28th, 2014 1:11 pm
They have turned it into Interactive advertising.

Seriously, Win Chances to win a Phone ....

Wow.

1st place gets 10 chances.

So generous.

They should have kept it as a free popcorn or drink for first and 50-100 scene points for other positions.

But, they would rather give out $0 and have people watch the ads anyways.

I think Timeplay doesn't exist for IMAX movies (at least I have never seen timeplay on them).
Yeah, now it's sponsored by Telus and Shomi. What a farce!
Jun 30, 2009
566 posts
82 upvotes
Vancouver
What? It turned to crap so quickly?

I heard you could abuse it by hopping on other theatre's timeplay (if you were waiting nearby), spam wrong answers, and still get points. Maybe that was why.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2006
1375 posts
299 upvotes
GTA
dchimera wrote:
Dec 29th, 2014 5:13 pm
What? It turned to crap so quickly?

I heard you could abuse it by hopping on other theatre's timeplay (if you were waiting nearby), spam wrong answers, and still get points. Maybe that was why.
Who has got time for such nonsense of trying to get points from another screen? Wait, ignore that question. This is RFD. :)
Deal Guru
Oct 22, 2009
10963 posts
1979 upvotes
Toronto
sprung wrote:
Dec 28th, 2014 9:19 am

Yup, the honeymoon is over with the 100 and 50 scene points for the top 10 scores.

Now, you get 50 scene if you are in top 5 scores and 25 scene points in the bottom 5 scores (of the top ten scores).

The best prizes were the free medium pizza pizza from a couple years ago if you were the number 1 score and the top 4 scorers used to get a free slice of pizza from pizza pizza.

Their timeplay app now is just bloated...crashes a lot...sometimes does not load with the screen.

Also, they used to play their Timeplay games exactly 20 minutes before the movie (i.e. on the official show times on their website). Now, it plays 5 minutes or less before that listed time...so if you don't care about the trailers but want to catch Timeplay...you cannot gauge when it will start before the movie trailers...because there are now more commercials for products than before right before the movie trailers.

Everything has gone down hill with Timeplay...and Cineplex just don't give a crap it seems.

The prizes of winning a chance to win a mobile or something is pretty ridiculous. Why don't they stick to the main aspect of what they attracted people to Timeplay in the first place??? And that was mainly the free Scene points for top 10 scores and pretty good prizes and freebies for the top 1-5 scores in addition to the scene points awarded.

But going cheap on the scene points is just a very bad move by Cineplex and will alienate customers who enjoyed it before. People have to get their voices heard to Cineplex about how crappy it has become, otherwise they will not change anything and will make it probably worse than it is now even.
~~~~~~~~~~> Get...THAT DEAL...Over Here!!!
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2006
1283 posts
117 upvotes
GTA
Scorpionsy wrote:
Dec 30th, 2014 4:18 am
Yup, the honeymoon is over with the 100 and 50 scene points for the top 10 scores.

Now, you get 50 scene if you are in top 5 scores and 25 scene points in the bottom 5 scores (of the top ten scores).

The best prizes were the free medium pizza pizza from a couple years ago if you were the number 1 score and the top 4 scorers used to get a free slice of pizza from pizza pizza.

Their timeplay app now is just bloated...crashes a lot...sometimes does not load with the screen.

Also, they used to play their Timeplay games exactly 20 minutes before the movie (i.e. on the official show times on their website). Now, it plays 5 minutes or less before that listed time...so if you don't care about the trailers but want to catch Timeplay...you cannot gauge when it will start before the movie trailers...because there are now more commercials for products than before right before the movie trailers.

Everything has gone down hill with Timeplay...and Cineplex just don't give a crap it seems.

The prizes of winning a chance to win a mobile or something is pretty ridiculous. Why don't they stick to the main aspect of what they attracted people to Timeplay in the first place??? And that was mainly the free Scene points for top 10 scores and pretty good prizes and freebies for the top 1-5 scores in addition to the scene points awarded.

But going cheap on the scene points is just a very bad move by Cineplex and will alienate customers who enjoyed it before. People have to get their voices heard to Cineplex about how crappy it has become, otherwise they will not change anything and will make it probably worse than it is now even.

Then I think it's like a lottery because I saw Horrible Bosses 2 a few weeks back and no points only chances to win a fudging phone! Although if I did win a new phone that would be awesome sauce!
Deal Guru
Oct 22, 2009
10963 posts
1979 upvotes
Toronto
iam_immigrant wrote:
Dec 30th, 2014 9:56 am
Then I think it's like a lottery because I saw Horrible Bosses 2 a few weeks back and no points only chances to win a fudging phone! Although if I did win a new phone that would be awesome sauce!
Yes, it sucks...but you probably were not in the top 10 scores so you got ZERO points. It's that bad now!

Chances of you getting points now are at very early or very late shows during non-weekends/Tuesdays because the number of people will be very few giving you a higher chance of scoring in the top 5 or 10 and getting some of these current miser Cineplex scene points. :facepalm:
~~~~~~~~~~> Get...THAT DEAL...Over Here!!!
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2006
1375 posts
299 upvotes
GTA
Not all screenings give points. I watched a movie last week and like others said, the top 10 prizes were all a limited number of entries for a new phone. I was number 4 overall and got one entry. Craptastic. :)
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
15383 posts
3247 upvotes
Toronto
aliikram wrote:
Dec 30th, 2014 9:27 pm
Not all screenings give points. I watched a movie last week and like others said, the top 10 prizes were all a limited number of entries for a new phone. I was number 4 overall and got one entry. Craptastic. :)
Ya same here. I didn't even bother to play. They had some dumb Koodo game and one Shoomi crap.
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2004
10943 posts
419 upvotes
Markham/Mississauga
Gotta love another Canadian monopoly looking to maximize profits from Canadians!
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2009
12178 posts
575 upvotes
Toronto
It SUCKS. The whole experience is ruined IMO. Could care less about Koodo and they're stupid phone ad.

I encourage everyone to delete the app in protest :cheesygri