Entertainment

Cineplex - no more Scene points with Timeplay?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 2nd, 2018 9:08 pm
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2009
6395 posts
3556 upvotes
Im a Cineplex shareholder.

Boo me if you must but Timeplay is a waste of time and scene points. People arent coming to the movies for timeplay. Just give 1st place a free popcorn voucher which will cost Cineplex maybe 30 cents. Will get people playing anyways regardless.
Deal Addict
Jun 30, 2010
2562 posts
640 upvotes
Vaughan
Sanyo wrote:
Jun 8th, 2016 12:12 am

Boo me if you must but Timeplay is a waste of time and scene points. People arent coming to the movies for timeplay. Just give 1st place a free popcorn voucher which will cost Cineplex maybe 30 cents. Will get people playing anyways regardless.
The first place prize right now is terrible. Buy a poutine with a large drink and get another poutine free. Spend $12 on stuff to get a free poutine lol.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
15761 posts
12323 upvotes
Toronto
cloakster wrote:
Jun 24th, 2016 2:56 pm
The first place prize right now is terrible. Buy a poutine with a large drink and get another poutine free. Spend $12 on stuff to get a free poutine lol.
'games' last night at Scotiabank on Timeplay were laughably bad. Car race and a maze game. Nothing at all to do with movie trivia or pop culture.
An earlier version of this article incorrectly described a behavior of crows exposed to crow corpses. Live crows only touch, attack and attempt intercourse with crow corpses, they do not scavenge them. (Actual NYT correction)
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2011
1874 posts
325 upvotes
We got the car race game and the snacks game and they both sucked. If they aren't giving away scene points, at least bring back the trivia!
Baaaaaaaaa!
Aug 4, 2010
459 posts
298 upvotes
AB
Played in the lobby connected to the theatre I was supposed to be in because I was waiting for someone...got 25 points for coming in 10th without even seeing the screen!
Deal Guru
Oct 22, 2009
10957 posts
1971 upvotes
Toronto
bluebird42 wrote:
Jun 25th, 2016 8:04 pm
Played in the lobby connected to the theatre I was supposed to be in because I was waiting for someone...got 25 points for coming in 10th without even seeing the screen!
That's nothing new really...many people I have seen do this already. It's pretty common practice actually with lots of people.
~~~~~~~~~~> Get...THAT DEAL...Over Here!!!
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2006
4368 posts
1684 upvotes
Toronto
Sanyo wrote:
Jun 8th, 2016 12:12 am

What Timeplay should be giving as prizes is:
  • 100 points (at least) for 1st place
  • 50 points for 2nd-9th place
  • 25 points for everybody else playing
Plus, extra freebies from time to time
I swear to drunk I'm not God 😝
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
23762 posts
1215 upvotes
Markham, ON
went and watch dory...got 50 pts for 1-5 place...and then 1/2 price poutine offer...didnt take it.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2011
1463 posts
272 upvotes
Am I the only one that likes playing it as a mini game? The points were a great bonus for sure, but sometimes the games were just fun.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2004
2406 posts
319 upvotes
Went to Fairview on Friday night to see wonder woman. They had 2 mini time plays (transformers and spiderman quiz that awarded entry to a gift card contest). For the main, it was just a group jumping game a Lindt chocolate sliding game that didn't award scene points (entry for years worth of chocolate, or $1/$2 off yogurt).
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2006
4368 posts
1684 upvotes
Toronto
At some point, most of us movie goers, have downloaded the Timeplay app and tried to arrive early to the movie theatre before our show, so we can try to score some Scene points that we can use to get a free ticket in the future.

However, we have all seen how, after AMC Theatres left Canada, and sold most of its properties to Cineplex, the Timeplay "experience" has been slowly sinking and giving fewer and fewer rewards to people who arrive early... from a starting point of giving 100 Scene points to everybody playing when they rolled out the app, they went down to 100 points only to the top 3 players, while 50 to the rest... then 100 points only to the winner in 1st place, 50 to the 2nd and 3rd, and 25 to the rest... then points only to the top 3 players, and nothing for the rest.

But yesterday what I saw was just a joke and an insult: 25 Scene points to the player who finished in 1st place, and 5 points each for the 2nd and 3rd places.... wtf???

If we do a rough conversion of points (using a regular movie ticket value of $13.99, who could be gotten by redeeming 1000 Scene points)... it means that whoever arrived early, endured commercials on the pre-show, and finished 2nd or 3rd, is getting pretty much 7 cents only by winning those 5 Scene points. And to clarify... this was a regular movie show, not one of those $2.99 movie matinees, or cheap Tuesday movie.

This is terrible... and I know that is an extra, and we should not be entitled to anything, but sinking from 100 points to the people playing to 5 points IF you play and win is an insult, after luring people early to the theatres with the excuse of giving them a chance to win points.

Unfortunately, this will not change, as there are not decent competitors to Cineplex ... but at least I will stop rushing to the theatre, and trying to arrive early to be laughed at with that miserable offering.

Do any of you guys also stopped arriving early after seeing how this Timeplay experience has worsen as time goes by?
I swear to drunk I'm not God 😝
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2011
1874 posts
325 upvotes
I only get reserved seatings and i usually arrive 10 minutes after the scheduled start time. Timeplay games have gone downhill and completely commercialized, and the rewards are just awful. It's not worth it to arrive early to play and then sit through 10 minutes of commericals.
Baaaaaaaaa!
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
10474 posts
1205 upvotes
I've noticed the games have gotten much shorter too. When Star Wars The Last Jedi was in theatres, there was only 1 round.

When I saw Black Panther, they didn't even bother running Timeplay.