Entertainment

Cineplex - no more Scene points with Timeplay?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 2nd, 2018 11:27 am
Jun 12, 2017
150 posts
63 upvotes
Toronto
In my opinion it is not the only the rewards that are awful, the app is still very glitchy and sometimes it does not even connect properly. I have been disconnected during transitioning from one question to the next one. In the beginning it was a very nice add-on for movie goers but now it is even worse sitting to almost 30 minutes of commercials before a movie starts.
Deal Addict
May 19, 2003
2372 posts
366 upvotes
Also keep in mind they spread out Time Play over the entire pre-show commercials. It's not just the one before the movie.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2006
4804 posts
2182 upvotes
Toronto
shutterbug wrote:
Feb 26th, 2018 11:09 am
Also keep in mind they spread out Time Play over the entire pre-show commercials. It's not just the one before the movie.
But the "mini" games or quizzes they do will give you as a reward entries to a raffle, not points.

It was just stupid to see yesterday that the Timeplay event offered yesterday to the "winners"

I make more points with the Carrot app and I don't have to waste 20 minutes watching commercials

I sent them an e-mail to let them know how displeased we are... and we are placing bets on how the response will go; I put my money in receiving just a general scripted reply, saying that they are sorry for the inconvenience, but they also offer so many "wonderful" opportunities to win Scene points by eating at certain restaurants, and by getting their Scotiabank credit card, LOL... let's see what they really reply.
I swear to drunk I'm not God 😝
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
16314 posts
13078 upvotes
Toronto
Toyota had Timeplay setup at the Auto Show. I destroyed the competition. They were all little kids but still felt good + they were getting parental assistance.

Lady at prize redemption booth. 'my son won'. And I said nope he lost to me. Ha.
An earlier version of this article incorrectly described a behavior of crows exposed to crow corpses. Live crows only touch, attack and attempt intercourse with crow corpses, they do not scavenge them. (Actual NYT correction)
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
10688 posts
1016 upvotes
Mississauga
I saw a movie at Cineplex yesterday and got the Timeplay 25 points to 1st place, 5 points to 2nd & 3rd place thing too. I was so insulted that I didn't even play.

I also hate that they have largely gone away from actual movie trivia to stupid hockey games.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2006
4804 posts
2182 upvotes
Toronto
Talamasca wrote:
Feb 26th, 2018 2:33 pm
I saw a movie at Cineplex yesterday and got the Timeplay 25 points to 1st place, 5 points to 2nd & 3rd place thing too.
That is exactly what I saw.... brutal

So, if you win, and get 1st place, you will get $0.35 worth of points... and $0.07 worth of points for 2nd and 3rd place.... Angry Face
I wonder who was the genius that proposed and approved this change.... it was bad enough already, and they have made it worse

They might as well end with dignity the whole thing now, instead of turning it into a lame agonizing joke
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
10688 posts
1016 upvotes
Mississauga
5 points. 5!!! You need 1000 points to redeem for a basic movie ticket. So you've got to beat out almost everyone else in the theatre playing Timeplay, and all you get is 5 freakin' points.

Not to mention the additional Timeplay games they have where you don't get to win any points at all, just a drawing to get a gift card. WTF?!?
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
3458 posts
1265 upvotes
Last year I went to a late showing and there were only 6 people there and I was the only player lol got some nice points.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2006
4804 posts
2182 upvotes
Toronto
badOne wrote:
Feb 27th, 2018 12:13 am
Last year I went to a late showing and there were only 6 people there and I was the only player lol got some nice points.
If you go right now, you will be getting 5 nice points... which means you only have to go back and play another 199 times (and spend close to $2,800 in tickets) to get a free movie ticket!... Yay! :facepalm:

Mind you, the free movie ticket will be a regular one, but if you want to get a free ticket for an AVX or IMAX show, then just play 100 times more (and spend $1,400 more, on top of the $2,800 you already spent with Cineplex), and voila!, you can now see an IMAX film for free... easy peasy
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2006
4804 posts
2182 upvotes
Toronto
Prizes offered by Timeplay to the Top Player on a screening this past Tuesday:
  • 5 entries on a crappy draw
  • "Free" 50 Scene points when you purchase a Poutine at regular price

Prizes to the top 10:
  • 1 entry to the same crappy draw
  • Free churros when you purchase a hot dog combo

Bravo Cineplex!!!... Keep up the "good work"

Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2009
6802 posts
3900 upvotes
First world problems guys... seriously its just a game, relax.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2006
4804 posts
2182 upvotes
Toronto
Sanyo wrote:
Mar 8th, 2018 9:42 am
First world problems guys... seriously its just a game, relax.
Well, call it what you want, but when they market the game the following way:
There are chances to play and win TimePlay throughout the show before your movie so plan to arrive 25 minutes early to take advantage of every instance of TimePlay.
Simply download the FREE app, and connect to the "TimePlay" wifi network in any participating theatre and choose your auditorium. You’ll score points based on speed and accuracy. You could win great prizes including food, drinks, and SCENE points!
You arrive early and endure 30 minutes of commercials expecting to win something worth of your loyalty and time, which was the idea at the beginning, but now they offer crap, and expect you to show up early still.

The Timeplay idea started after AMC Theatres entered Canada... and as a big competitor, they needed to win the loyalty of the public, so they offered great prizes. Now, with AMC gone, no one in Cineplex cares about the customers, because there is no competitor for them, so they have increase prices, cut down prizes and offers, and change the Scene points program to their own benefit.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2007
1454 posts
391 upvotes
Ain't nobody forcing you to go early and play their pitiful game Face With Tears Of Joy

Just stop playing
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2006
4804 posts
2182 upvotes
Toronto
EH15 wrote:
Mar 8th, 2018 1:56 pm
Ain't nobody forcing you to go early and play their pitiful game Face With Tears Of Joy

Just stop playing
LOL... I know... that's what I'll do
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2010
1974 posts
355 upvotes
cineplex reply regarding the lower amount of points offered now on timeplay indicates that they are pursuing other things, and this will not be one of their big concerns right now:
We have recently lowered the prize value of SCENE points in TimePlay. This reallocation is ultimately so that we can better focus on larger events and more exciting ‘bigger ticket’ prizing that we have planned throughout the year. Keep a lookout on this, we think the change will be worth it when you see the prizing plans we have in store.
:) Love is too beautiful to be hidden in the closet ;)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)