Expired Hot Deals

[Cineplex] CINEPLEX Scene Members Save 10% more on Tuesday tickets!

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 24th, 2013 10:18 pm
Tags:
Jul 28, 2006
591 posts
150 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
better than no discount
Jul 30, 2007
218 posts
72 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
adeel wrote:
May 31st, 2012 5:41 pm
I've figured out why Cineplex is doing this:

In exchange for 10% off, you no longer get 100 scene points for your ticket. So in this way, on Tuesdays, they have devalued the scene points by approx 40% (since you only save 60 cents, as opposed to getting 100 scene points to use towards admissions on a regular $10+ day).

Further, cineplex (like alot of corporations with loyalty programs) probably has a very large liability on their balance sheet for outstanding scene points (given that you can equate 1000 scene points to about $10), so this way, they start to reduce further additions to their liabilities making their balance sheet look somewhat better (or alternatively, preventing an even higher liab from appearing down the line, so making sure it doesnt look any worse)

So then why run a marginally beneficial (to the public) promotion like this then? Isn't this meant to increase their SCENE member base? Which in turn will only increase the liability on their balance sheet? What they should be doing is running a promo something like where you get 20% off the price of a second ticket when you REDEEM 1600 points for the first ticket. Or something that will actually entice people to use their points. I have never cashed in any of my SCENE points yet.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 21, 2007
5141 posts
299 upvotes
Markham
rockychocbill wrote:
Jun 4th, 2012 12:43 pm
So then why run a marginally beneficial (to the public) promotion like this then? Isn't this meant to increase their SCENE member base? Which in turn will only increase the liability on their balance sheet? What they should be doing is running a promo something like where you get 20% off the price of a second ticket when you REDEEM 1600 points for the first ticket. Or something that will actually entice people to use their points. I have never cashed in any of my SCENE points yet.

i dont feel like this is targeted towards increasing their member base - more to get existing customers more into the movies

Realistically, cineplex has a monopoly here, so i imagine in their price elasticity studies, reducing prices should drive more traffic (in their estimation) and create more revenues (esp in concessions, since we know they dont make much on the movies themselves)
Deal Addict
May 31, 2006
1469 posts
320 upvotes
Richmond, BC
$6.75 for me tomorrow...

Going to see MIB3....As I had a $10 off coupon so I paid $3.50 for two tickets
Dec 30, 2007
698 posts
99 upvotes
harryt wrote:
Jun 5th, 2012 2:03 am
anyone confirm here that they did or did NOT get 100 scene points after they bought a ticket on tuesdays?

I got 100 points for each ticket bought last Tuesday.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2003
1390 posts
317 upvotes
timberland29 wrote:
Jun 5th, 2012 6:16 am
I got 100 points for each ticket bought last Tuesday.

The offer only started this week so you can't count last Tuesday. But I'm quite sure the 100 scene points are still awarded. I've seen nothing saying otherwise except a post on here. Will find out tonight I guess!
Dec 30, 2007
698 posts
99 upvotes
dealseeker wrote:
Jun 5th, 2012 7:19 am
The offer only started this week so you can't count last Tuesday. But I'm quite sure the 100 scene points are still awarded. I've seen nothing saying otherwise except a post on here. Will find out tonight I guess!

His question was about Tuesday's in general not after the new promotion. Regardless you always get points as long as you paid for the ticket.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2003
1390 posts
317 upvotes
timberland29 wrote:
Jun 5th, 2012 8:04 am
His question was about Tuesday's in general not after the new promotion. Regardless you always get points as long as you paid for the ticket.

Ah, ok. In that case I can confirm I got them last Tuesday too. :)
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2012
1053 posts
485 upvotes
TORONTO
adeel wrote:
May 31st, 2012 5:54 pm
it doesnt say it anywhere actually, BUT, when i tried to purchase a ticket online, it stated the price and would not be getting any scene points.

Now i suppose YMMV in theatre (as i use nestea b1g1 that arent supposed to get scene points but always do), but it seems this is official policy anyways.

Theaters all give you scene points, so do online(buy mine most of the time online), you only get scene points on stuff that you buy, regardless of whether or not they are discounted. I don't think they've changed any of the scene points for tickets, where they did change something was at timeplay where they now longer give out scene points for playing(at least they didn't for mib3).

The 10% "discount" is something to attract more students/younger people back into theater( I heard from a manager at one location.) shhhh :lol:
Deal Hunter :)
Jan 23, 2010
2 posts
I just logged in with my Android app to buy a ticket

These are the choices
  1. Cineplex Tuesday Package - $6.75 + 0 Scene
  2. Tue Child/Gen/Seniors - $7.50
May 18, 2009
432 posts
45 upvotes
Another thing I've been wondering:

Do you still get 100 points per ticket if you buy them separately for the same movie?

For example. If I'm getting 4 tickets to a movie and I buy them in one transaction, I know I only get 100 points.

It used to be if you bought them in 4 different transactions, you'd get 400 points. Did they take this away? If I buy them separately using the same credit card on 4 transactions do I get 400 points or just 100?
May 18, 2009
432 posts
45 upvotes
y2gray wrote:
Jun 5th, 2012 4:48 pm
Another thing I've been wondering:

Do you still get 100 points per ticket if you buy them separately for the same movie?

For example. If I'm getting 4 tickets to a movie and I buy them in one transaction, I know I only get 100 points.

It used to be if you bought them in 4 different transactions, you'd get 400 points. Did they take this away? If I buy them separately using the same credit card on 4 transactions do I get 400 points or just 100?

Nevermind, I answered my own question. You do get points for each transaction. So if you have friends with no SCENE card, buy each ticket separately online and you'll get 120 points per ticket!

Also, I think it's a better deal as mentioned to NOT take the 10% off and get your SCENE points.

In Winnipeg, it's $5.50 for the movie (or 10.25 with popcorn and a drink) and you get 100 points (120 if you buy online), or you pay $4.95 with ZERO SCENE points. So if you go to a movie say 10 times on a Tuesday, you'd be saving $5.50 total with the 10% discount, versus having 1000-1200 SCENE points that you can use for ANY movie (i.e 3D, IMAX), so that saves you anywhere from $10-17 on a regular movie day.

So in conclusion, I'll pay the "extra" $0.55 per movie ;)
Deal Fanatic
Aug 21, 2007
5141 posts
299 upvotes
Markham
royceda510 wrote:
Jun 5th, 2012 4:14 pm
I just logged in with my Android app to buy a ticket

These are the choices
  1. Cineplex Tuesday Package - $6.75 + 0 Scene
  2. Tue Child/Gen/Seniors - $7.50

huh, didnt realize you got options
y2gray wrote:
Jun 5th, 2012 7:13 pm
Nevermind, I answered my own question. You do get points for each transaction. So if you have friends with no SCENE card, buy each ticket separately online and you'll get 120 points per ticket!

Also, I think it's a better deal as mentioned to NOT take the 10% off and get your SCENE points.

In Winnipeg, it's $5.50 for the movie (or 10.25 with popcorn and a drink) and you get 100 points (120 if you buy online), or you pay $4.95 with ZERO SCENE points. So if you go to a movie say 10 times on a Tuesday, you'd be saving $5.50 total with the 10% discount, versus having 1000-1200 SCENE points that you can use for ANY movie (i.e 3D, IMAX), so that saves you anywhere from $10-17 on a regular movie day.

So in conclusion, I'll pay the "extra" $0.55 per movie ;)

IN terms of separate per transaction, cineplex catches on pretty fast. Normally, if I buy for 4 people, I get 200 scene points for two tickets, plus 20 points bonus for each of 4 tickets bought online, so losing out on technically 200 scene points.

If its optional, id rather take high price and 100 scene points.

As today was tuesday, people report if you got scene points with your discounted movie ticket. You shouldn't have, but it is indeed possible that you did haha.
Mar 15, 2006
379 posts
17 upvotes
Went today and still got the 100 scene points.

What I think it means by "$7.xx + 0 Scene points" is that you aren't using any of your existing scene points towards the movie ticket.

For example, if it was "7.xx + 200 scene points", it would mean that you would need to pay 7.xx PLUS 200 of your existing points for the ticket.