Tags:
[OP]
Oct 24, 2011
561 posts
223 upvotes
Niagara Falls

CIO is asking for a tea

Hey guys
With my friend's introduction, CIO of a company and I have been sending emails back and forth regarding any opportunities available at his company (he's been working there for around 35 years)
After sending my resume, he got back to me this morning saying basically there is no opportunity at the moment, but by mid of next month there will be.
He also asked me to come to his town and have a tea with him early next month to continue this conversation.

My question:
1. Is this a good sign? I mean I would like to be some what prepared before I talk to him face to face early next month
2. What do I need to prepare for this kind of casual meeting?

This is regarding senior role
10 replies
Nov 15, 2016
254 posts
130 upvotes
ggman8988 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 2:37 pm
Hey guys
With my friend's introduction, CIO of a company and I have been sending emails back and forth regarding any opportunities available at his company (he's been working there for around 35 years)
After sending my resume, he got back to me this morning saying basically there is no opportunity at the moment, but by mid of next month there will be.
He also asked me to come to his town and have a tea with him early next month to continue this conversation.

My question:
1. Is this a good sign? I mean I would like to be some what prepared before I talk to him face to face early next month
2. What do I need to prepare for this kind of casual meeting?

This is regarding senior role
1. Yes, it's a very good sign.
2. Preparation would be similar to a interview, however a bit more informal. Do your due diligence and research about the company, his role and his direct reports. The more you understand, the more you'll be able to ask him questions. Prepare by asking important questions about the business, what he's working on, challenges, and how your potentially new role would aide in helping solve some important problems for the business. Treat it informally, however also understand this is not a social visit as both parties are evaluating each-other for a fit.
[OP]
Oct 24, 2011
561 posts
223 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Toad99 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 2:44 pm
1. Yes, it's a very good sign.
2. Preparation would be similar to a interview, however a bit more informal. Do your due diligence and research about the company, his role and his direct reports. The more you understand, the more you'll be able to ask him questions. Prepare by asking important questions about the business, what he's working on, challenges, and how your potentially new role would aide in helping solve some important problems for the business. Treat it informally, however also understand this is not a social visit as both parties are evaluating each-other for a fit.
Hey, thanks for quick reply
Do you think he will get me to still follow standard procedure after taking to him? Like proper interview with whoever my direct will be later....
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
11396 posts
6203 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Are you male or female?

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Apr 28, 2010
113 posts
27 upvotes
ggman8988 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 2:55 pm
Do you think he will get me to still follow standard procedure after taking to him? Like proper interview with whoever my direct will be later....
Not the original person that replied to you but it depends on his/her company to be honest. I've had cases where they said they loved what I brought but I still needed to go through HR and apply, interview formally etc. as a formality (equal employer yada yada, I still got the job). Then there are cases where you can just sign your offer from the CIO and they take care of the rest.

Either way, it's a good sign for you. Good luck!
Nov 15, 2016
254 posts
130 upvotes
ggman8988 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 2:55 pm
This part depends entirely on the HR protocol of the company. I would assume after the coffee chat if he would like to bring you on, he would need to go through HR channels to start creating documentation, a brief interview, and then offer.
It really depends on how the company is managed, I would expect at least a brief interview with your Direct and possibly HR.
[OP]
Oct 24, 2011
561 posts
223 upvotes
Niagara Falls
iConfusedChineseGuy wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 3:13 pm
Not the original person that replied to you but it depends on his/her company to be honest. I've had cases where they said they loved what I brought but I still needed to go through HR and apply, interview formally etc. as a formality (equal employer yada yada, I still got the job). Then there are cases where you can just sign your offer from the CIO and they take care of the rest.

Either way, it's a good sign for you. Good luck!
Toad99 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 3:15 pm
This part depends entirely on the HR protocol of the company. I would assume after the coffee chat if he would like to bring you on, he would need to go through HR channels to start creating documentation, a brief interview, and then offer.
It really depends on how the company is managed, I would expect at least a brief interview with your Direct and possibly HR.
This company is a public sector, so yeah I'm assuming HR has some power.
However the org chart isn't very organized :D, there is this CIO guy on top, and Assistant CIO, and 3 Supervisors (no manager or director), If I get in, I will be reporting to one of those supervisors
Sep 7, 2009
574 posts
190 upvotes
It's code, he wants you to spill the tea. It would have been better if he asked you for a coffee or beer. Unless he meant kombucha tea, in which case get ready to shoot to the top.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
28843 posts
14654 upvotes
Ottawa
CIO of a public company is asking you to meet in private to discuss future opportunities?
[OP]
Oct 24, 2011
561 posts
223 upvotes
Niagara Falls
vkizzle wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 3:43 pm
CIO of a public company is asking you to meet in private to discuss future opportunities?
Apparently, yes.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
28843 posts
14654 upvotes
Ottawa
ggman8988 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 3:56 pm
Apparently, yes.
Hopefully it's all business related :)