• Last Updated:
  • Apr 27th, 2017 5:39 am
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2008
6211 posts
2003 upvotes
baillieul wrote:
Mar 27th, 2017 4:22 pm
domain newbe here.. Can I purchase a 99 cent domain and just set it to redirect somewhere else? Are there any extra costs to do this?
Domain name forwarding is free and easy to set up on most registrars.
Internet Movie Car Database (Contributions) - http://imcdb.org/movies.php?contrib=Soro
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
11400 posts
2342 upvotes
Montreal
kevintaylor2 wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2017 10:59 am
Generally, ".com" domains are more popular and easier to remember than ".ca".
wow, that's good to know... but too bad that all the good & short names (which are key in the cell phone age) were already taken by 2008, and unless you are independently wealthy, you could never afford to buy them.
RFD requires that each RFD nitwit DOWNVOTE every single post of mine, as I can no longer participate and have quite obviously been made a target for abuse by dateless simpletons.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
11400 posts
2342 upvotes
Montreal
Once again, a Public Service Announcement:

WATCH OUT WHEN SIGNING UP WITH REBEL!!

they do not allow you to let a domain expire and auto-renew you automatically 2 months before it expires. 99-cents sounds good, but if you just buy a pile of stuff cuz it's cheap, you will end up owing them a pile of cash in 10 months, with no way to get out of it other than to delete your payment info and ignore their "you owe us $XXXXX' emails.

you can also cancel the domain 9 months in or transfer it out to another registrar, but this "Domain for Life" scam they're currently running is very troubling and makes them a "stay far away from" vendor. the major issue for me is if I want to keep 3 domains and let 5 expire, there is absolutely no way to do this with Rebel other than manually cancelling the 5 URLs within 9 months, thereby losing 3 months of usage.
RFD requires that each RFD nitwit DOWNVOTE every single post of mine, as I can no longer participate and have quite obviously been made a target for abuse by dateless simpletons.
Jan 31, 2017
9 posts
1 upvote
JackWhyte wrote:
Mar 27th, 2017 5:15 pm
wow, that's good to know... but too bad that all the good & short names (which are key in the cell phone age) were already taken by 2008, and unless you are independently wealthy, you could never afford to buy them.
I am thinking more in terms of a ".com" domain with something such as "myuniquecompanyname@.com" or using the domain for "myemail@firstname.lastname.com".
Jun 21, 2015
24 posts
4 upvotes
Rocky View, AB
Other than the obvious headaches, are there any further downsides to rebel's tactics? In particular, If I remove my payment information (and thus they can't auto charge my card), could their be credit score implications?
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
11400 posts
2342 upvotes
Montreal
kevintaylor2 wrote:
Mar 27th, 2017 5:45 pm
I am thinking more in terms of a ".com" domain with something such as "myuniquecompanyname@.com" or using the domain for "myemail@firstname.lastname.com"
sure, if it's non-business, personal or vanity site with an extremely long and useless name, then sure, but all the good stuff for a real branded company in 2017 (5 letters or less, the lower the better, no numbers or hyphens) has been gone for a long time.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
11400 posts
2342 upvotes
Montreal
nbcoolums wrote:
Mar 27th, 2017 5:45 pm
Other than the obvious headaches, are there any further downsides to rebel's tactics? In particular, If I remove my payment information (and thus they can't auto charge my card), could their be credit score implications?
doubtful, but like I posted, let's say you buy 4 domains and then choose 1 to use for your project, it is impossible to keep that 1 on your account and let the other 3 expire.

it is far, far, far better to just pay a bit more and have total freedom.
Dec 30, 2012
646 posts
174 upvotes
Burlington
JackWhyte wrote:
Mar 27th, 2017 5:19 pm
Once again, a Public Service Announcement:

WATCH OUT WHEN SIGNING UP WITH REBEL!!

they do not allow you to let a domain expire and auto-renew you automatically 2 months before it expires. 99-cents sounds good, but if you just buy a pile of stuff cuz it's cheap, you will end up owing them a pile of cash in 10 months, with no way to get out of it other than to delete your payment info and ignore their "you owe us $XXXXX' emails.

you can also cancel the domain 9 months in or transfer it out to another registrar, but this "Domain for Life" scam they're currently running is very troubling and makes them a "stay far away from" vendor. the major issue for me is if I want to keep 3 domains and let 5 expire, there is absolutely no way to do this with Rebel other than manually cancelling the 5 URLs within 9 months, thereby losing 3 months of usage.
I am currently in this situation; fortunately I previously cancelled the credit card that I signed up with, and rebel has not been able to auto-charge me. Could I switch my domain registrar from rebel to CIRA and get the $0.99 rate?
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
11400 posts
2342 upvotes
Montreal
mwahahaa wrote:
Mar 27th, 2017 7:40 pm
I am currently in this situation; fortunately I previously cancelled the credit card that I signed up with, and rebel has not been able to auto-charge me. Could I switch my domain registrar from rebel to CIRA and get the $0.99 rate?
nope, that rate is for new registrations only, although there may be sales on transfers with other registrars.
Jan 31, 2017
9 posts
1 upvote
You misunderstood. I was never referring to a "real branded company". Longer domain names can still be useful for business when the match the company - they are still easy for customers, prospects, vendors etc. to remember. I suppose we'll just have to agree to disagree. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
11400 posts
2342 upvotes
Montreal
kevintaylor2 wrote:
Mar 27th, 2017 8:43 pm
You misunderstood. I was never referring to a "real branded company". Longer domain names can still be useful for business when the match the company - they are still easy for customers, prospects, vendors etc. to remember. I suppose we'll just have to agree to disagree. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
that's from the old "beer.com" days, and in 2017, short is in, not only for ease of use and branding, but to make life easier in other ways like email addresses, facebook/twitter branding, etc..

example:

2017:
fbc.com
joe@fbc.com

2006:
frobisherbrothersconsolidations.com
joe@frobisherbrothersconsolidations.com
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2006
1185 posts
206 upvotes
Toronto
Sadly, the three registrars participating aren't the greatest to choose from.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
11400 posts
2342 upvotes
Montreal
blindemboss wrote:
Mar 27th, 2017 10:19 pm
Sadly, the three registrars participating aren't the greatest to choose from.
that's the understatement of the year, and it's also amusing that Rebel won't accept Paypal for the 99-cent payment (easy to disable) even if it's linked to your account - it's gotta be a Credit Card so you have that linked for life. :facepalm:
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2006
1185 posts
206 upvotes
Toronto
JackWhyte wrote:
Mar 28th, 2017 1:19 pm
that's the understatement of the year, and it's also amusing that Rebel won't accept Paypal for the 99-cent payment (easy to disable) even if it's linked to your account - it's gotta be a Credit Card so you have that linked for life. :facepalm:
Hmm...i have a bunch of domains with Rebel expiring in July.
Not sure how it was paid...hopefully it was PayPal.
Are you saying they will still charge me even once I transfer to another registrar?
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2007
1231 posts
182 upvotes
I just registered my site on register.ca for 6 cents. Is this stuff legit?

[ Close this Window ] [ Print ]
Register.ca Inc. Invoice # ######
5863 Leslie St. Suite 307
Toronto, ON M2H 1J8 Canada
GST/HST#:#########

Product Details Price Setup Total
Domain Registration xyzsablog.ca, 1
years 0.05 - 0.05
Paid by: Credit Card
Credit card number: ************xyza

Subtotal: $0.05
Discount: -
GST/HST: $0.01
Grand Total: $0.06
[ Close this Window ] [ Print ]

Thread Information

There are currently 4 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 4 guests)