Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
CIRA

Register .ca domain for $0.99 at many domain companies

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 8th, 2021 11:11 pm
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14763 posts
4912 upvotes
Montreal
kevintaylor2 wrote: I am thinking more in terms of a ".com" domain with something such as "myuniquecompanyname@.com" or using the domain for "myemail@firstname.lastname.com"
sure, if it's non-business, personal or vanity site with an extremely long and useless name, then sure, but all the good stuff for a real branded company in 2017 (5 letters or less, the lower the better, no numbers or hyphens) has been gone for a long time.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14763 posts
4912 upvotes
Montreal
nbcoolums wrote: Other than the obvious headaches, are there any further downsides to rebel's tactics? In particular, If I remove my payment information (and thus they can't auto charge my card), could their be credit score implications?
doubtful, but like I posted, let's say you buy 4 domains and then choose 1 to use for your project, it is impossible to keep that 1 on your account and let the other 3 expire.

it is far, far, far better to just pay a bit more and have total freedom.
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2012
1232 posts
732 upvotes
Victoria
JackWhyte wrote: Once again, a Public Service Announcement:

WATCH OUT WHEN SIGNING UP WITH REBEL!!

they do not allow you to let a domain expire and auto-renew you automatically 2 months before it expires. 99-cents sounds good, but if you just buy a pile of stuff cuz it's cheap, you will end up owing them a pile of cash in 10 months, with no way to get out of it other than to delete your payment info and ignore their "you owe us $XXXXX' emails.

you can also cancel the domain 9 months in or transfer it out to another registrar, but this "Domain for Life" scam they're currently running is very troubling and makes them a "stay far away from" vendor. the major issue for me is if I want to keep 3 domains and let 5 expire, there is absolutely no way to do this with Rebel other than manually cancelling the 5 URLs within 9 months, thereby losing 3 months of usage.
I am currently in this situation; fortunately I previously cancelled the credit card that I signed up with, and rebel has not been able to auto-charge me. Could I switch my domain registrar from rebel to CIRA and get the $0.99 rate?
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14763 posts
4912 upvotes
Montreal
mwahahaa wrote: I am currently in this situation; fortunately I previously cancelled the credit card that I signed up with, and rebel has not been able to auto-charge me. Could I switch my domain registrar from rebel to CIRA and get the $0.99 rate?
nope, that rate is for new registrations only, although there may be sales on transfers with other registrars.
Jan 31, 2017
15 posts
2 upvotes
You misunderstood. I was never referring to a "real branded company". Longer domain names can still be useful for business when the match the company - they are still easy for customers, prospects, vendors etc. to remember. I suppose we'll just have to agree to disagree. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14763 posts
4912 upvotes
Montreal
kevintaylor2 wrote: You misunderstood. I was never referring to a "real branded company". Longer domain names can still be useful for business when the match the company - they are still easy for customers, prospects, vendors etc. to remember. I suppose we'll just have to agree to disagree. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
that's from the old "beer.com" days, and in 2017, short is in, not only for ease of use and branding, but to make life easier in other ways like email addresses, facebook/twitter branding, etc..

example:

2017:
fbc.com
joe@fbc.com

2006:
frobisherbrothersconsolidations.com
joe@frobisherbrothersconsolidations.com
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2006
3638 posts
3019 upvotes
Toronto
Sadly, the three registrars participating aren't the greatest to choose from.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14763 posts
4912 upvotes
Montreal
blindemboss wrote: Sadly, the three registrars participating aren't the greatest to choose from.
that's the understatement of the year, and it's also amusing that Rebel won't accept Paypal for the 99-cent payment (easy to disable) even if it's linked to your account - it's gotta be a Credit Card so you have that linked for life. :facepalm:
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2006
3638 posts
3019 upvotes
Toronto
JackWhyte wrote: that's the understatement of the year, and it's also amusing that Rebel won't accept Paypal for the 99-cent payment (easy to disable) even if it's linked to your account - it's gotta be a Credit Card so you have that linked for life. :facepalm:
Hmm...i have a bunch of domains with Rebel expiring in July.
Not sure how it was paid...hopefully it was PayPal.
Are you saying they will still charge me even once I transfer to another registrar?
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2007
1490 posts
336 upvotes
I just registered my site on register.ca for 6 cents. Is this stuff legit?

[ Close this Window ] [ Print ]
Register.ca Inc. Invoice # ######
5863 Leslie St. Suite 307
Toronto, ON M2H 1J8 Canada
GST/HST#:#########

Product Details Price Setup Total
Domain Registration xyzsablog.ca, 1
years 0.05 - 0.05
Paid by: Credit Card
Credit card number: ************xyza

Subtotal: $0.05
Discount: -
GST/HST: $0.01
Grand Total: $0.06
[ Close this Window ] [ Print ]
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14763 posts
4912 upvotes
Montreal
blindemboss wrote: Are you saying they will still charge me even once I transfer to another registrar?
no, but unless you transfer it, there is no possible way to let a site "expire" like every other registrar.

I honestly cannot believe this uber-scam technique is even allowed by the CIRA.
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2006
3638 posts
3019 upvotes
Toronto
JackWhyte wrote: no, but unless you transfer it, there is no possible way to let a site "expire" like every other registrar.

Thanks.
Are you aware of other CIRA approved registrars that do this? Or only Rebel?
If there are others, maybe it's an issue that needs to be exposed to the greater public.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14763 posts
4912 upvotes
Montreal
blindemboss wrote: Are you aware of other CIRA approved registrars that do this? Or only Rebel?
no, and not at any big registrars for sure.

it was big news when Rebel pulled the scam, especially since they tried to hype it by putting a "now you'll never forget to renew a domain" positive spin on it. :facepalm:
May 16, 2012
110 posts
21 upvotes
JackWhyte wrote: no, and not at any big registrars for sure.

it was big news when Rebel pulled the scam, especially since they tried to hype it by putting a "now you'll never forget to renew a domain" positive spin on it. :facepalm:
yes that was such a cheap shot. I have to call in every time I have to transfer and someone has to manually remove the lock. There were times they would unlock and 'oh Im sorry I forgot to click the check mark', when ID call back the umpteenth time. It is so incredibly annoying to come across the red banner every time I log in reminding you to put a new credit card in :/

I am now again searching to transfer a few domain to a different service. Any $0.99 or less transfer deal out there I am missing?
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14763 posts
4912 upvotes
Montreal
IRISTORONTO wrote: yes that was such a cheap shot. I have to call in every time I have to transfer and someone has to manually remove the lock.
do they lock newer domains that don't have to be renewed yet, or are you referring to older ones that are past that scam "60 days before expiry" renewal period?

I ask because if they are locking entire accounts, that is against CIRA regs.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2006
2499 posts
991 upvotes
I think lock is per domain not account.
I was able to get them to remove renewal lock by chatting with Rebel.
I do think it's unethical practice as I am sure they have proper IT capability to allow users to remove renewal lock themselves but choose not to allow it for their profit.
May 16, 2012
110 posts
21 upvotes
JackWhyte wrote: do they lock newer domains that don't have to be renewed yet, or are you referring to older ones that are past that scam "60 days before expiry" renewal period?

I ask because if they are locking entire accounts, that is against CIRA regs.
They lock all new and old existing domains. Every single time I want to do anything, I have to call them. This is so frustrating.
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
13940 posts
5439 upvotes
Avoid rebel at all cost. Worst registrar ever! Even worse than godaddy.
The sweetest gyal
May 4, 2004
495 posts
54 upvotes
JackWhyte wrote:
Has it been reported to them?
Jun 15, 2009
764 posts
217 upvotes
Couple of points...

1. This sale happens every year for at least last 10 years. They even pay registrars money to advertise this sale. Real deal is to pick registrar with lowest renewal costs because that's what you will be paying after year 1.

2. Rebel has had this scammy system for a few years now. They don't actually bill you more then 30 days before renewal and they send you email 30 days before that about charging your CC. That part is not bad actually. But there is no way to disable auto renew. You have to delete your domain before expiration date. I had my domains with them until this year, but found a better deal and transferred out.

3. CIRA green lit this thing that Rebel does. If enough people complained they would maybe reconsider but by this point in time it's a moot point.

How do I know? I worked for a registrar at one point in my life.