• Apr 27th, 2017 5:39 am
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
11400 posts
2342 upvotes
Montreal
blindemboss wrote:
Mar 28th, 2017 5:30 pm
Are you saying they will still charge me even once I transfer to another registrar?
no, but unless you transfer it, there is no possible way to let a site "expire" like every other registrar.

I honestly cannot believe this uber-scam technique is even allowed by the CIRA.
RFD requires that each RFD nitwit DOWNVOTE every single post of mine, as I can no longer participate and have quite obviously been made a target for abuse by dateless simpletons.
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2006
1185 posts
206 upvotes
Toronto
JackWhyte wrote:
Mar 29th, 2017 8:20 am
no, but unless you transfer it, there is no possible way to let a site "expire" like every other registrar.

Thanks.
Are you aware of other CIRA approved registrars that do this? Or only Rebel?
If there are others, maybe it's an issue that needs to be exposed to the greater public.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
11400 posts
2342 upvotes
Montreal
blindemboss wrote:
Mar 29th, 2017 9:13 am
Are you aware of other CIRA approved registrars that do this? Or only Rebel?
no, and not at any big registrars for sure.

it was big news when Rebel pulled the scam, especially since they tried to hype it by putting a "now you'll never forget to renew a domain" positive spin on it. :facepalm:
RFD requires that each RFD nitwit DOWNVOTE every single post of mine, as I can no longer participate and have quite obviously been made a target for abuse by dateless simpletons.
May 16, 2012
109 posts
19 upvotes
JackWhyte wrote:
Mar 29th, 2017 8:30 pm
no, and not at any big registrars for sure.

it was big news when Rebel pulled the scam, especially since they tried to hype it by putting a "now you'll never forget to renew a domain" positive spin on it. :facepalm:
yes that was such a cheap shot. I have to call in every time I have to transfer and someone has to manually remove the lock. There were times they would unlock and 'oh Im sorry I forgot to click the check mark', when ID call back the umpteenth time. It is so incredibly annoying to come across the red banner every time I log in reminding you to put a new credit card in :/

I am now again searching to transfer a few domain to a different service. Any $0.99 or less transfer deal out there I am missing?
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
11400 posts
2342 upvotes
Montreal
IRISTORONTO wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2017 12:29 pm
yes that was such a cheap shot. I have to call in every time I have to transfer and someone has to manually remove the lock.
do they lock newer domains that don't have to be renewed yet, or are you referring to older ones that are past that scam "60 days before expiry" renewal period?

I ask because if they are locking entire accounts, that is against CIRA regs.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2006
1854 posts
319 upvotes
I think lock is per domain not account.
I was able to get them to remove renewal lock by chatting with Rebel.
I do think it's unethical practice as I am sure they have proper IT capability to allow users to remove renewal lock themselves but choose not to allow it for their profit.
May 16, 2012
109 posts
19 upvotes
JackWhyte wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2017 2:26 pm
do they lock newer domains that don't have to be renewed yet, or are you referring to older ones that are past that scam "60 days before expiry" renewal period?

I ask because if they are locking entire accounts, that is against CIRA regs.
They lock all new and old existing domains. Every single time I want to do anything, I have to call them. This is so frustrating.
Penalty Box
Feb 10, 2007
9615 posts
937 upvotes
Avoid rebel at all cost. Worst registrar ever! Even worse than godaddy.
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]
May 4, 2004
468 posts
23 upvotes
JackWhyte wrote:
Mar 29th, 2017 8:20 am

Has it been reported to them?
Jun 15, 2009
635 posts
139 upvotes
Couple of points...

1. This sale happens every year for at least last 10 years. They even pay registrars money to advertise this sale. Real deal is to pick registrar with lowest renewal costs because that's what you will be paying after year 1.

2. Rebel has had this scammy system for a few years now. They don't actually bill you more then 30 days before renewal and they send you email 30 days before that about charging your CC. That part is not bad actually. But there is no way to disable auto renew. You have to delete your domain before expiration date. I had my domains with them until this year, but found a better deal and transferred out.

3. CIRA green lit this thing that Rebel does. If enough people complained they would maybe reconsider but by this point in time it's a moot point.

How do I know? I worked for a registrar at one point in my life.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2012
1711 posts
547 upvotes
Mississauga
sexyj wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2017 5:00 pm
Avoid rebel at all cost. Worst registrar ever! Even worse than godaddy.
Any particular reason why?
I love RFD! :)

Model 3 reservation holder
Penalty Box
Feb 10, 2007
9615 posts
937 upvotes
This particularly
sexyj wrote:
Dec 4th, 2016 11:38 pm
This is probably the worst registrar I've ever been with.

There is absolutely no way for you to turn off auto-renewal for a domain. Your domain will automatically renew 45 days prior going expire.

See other people's experience.

http://blog.tbayit.com/2014/07/domainsa ... uto-renew/

yo2boy wrote:
Apr 24th, 2017 12:06 am
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
11400 posts
2342 upvotes
Montreal
IRISTORONTO wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2017 4:09 pm
They lock all new and old existing domains. Every single time I want to do anything, I have to call them. This is so frustrating.
wow that is horrible, and I cannot believe they can do this - I seriously wonder how much money those jerks paid the CIRA to allow these rip-off techniques.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
11400 posts
2342 upvotes
Montreal
yo2boy wrote:
Apr 24th, 2017 12:06 am
LOL, seriously? just read the thread, and it relates to their "domains for life" enforced payment plan. unless you transfer out (or cancel your domains 60+ days in advance) there is no way to let a domain expire like the other 99.9% of registrars. you will be auto-billed over and over and over.

rebel are rip-off artists, plain and simple.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
11400 posts
2342 upvotes
Montreal
censored wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2017 11:59 pm
They don't actually bill you more then 30 days before renewal and they send you email 30 days before that about charging your CC.
that is incorrect and the renewal date used to be 60 days, and it's now 45 days, and they *will* bill you on that date, guaranteed. it happened to a friend of mine with 20+ domains and he had to get ugly with a lawyer relative to get them to refund his unauthorized payments and get his account "auto renewal" turned off. I think it was $380 total at $15+ a domain, all for domains he *wanted* to expire.

Rebel are bad news and buy a domain from them and you're getting in bed with an STD-ridden devil.

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)