Aug 9, 2013
2070 posts
440 upvotes
Scarborough
JackWhyte wrote:
Mar 27th, 2017 5:19 pm
Once again, a Public Service Announcement:

WATCH OUT WHEN SIGNING UP WITH REBEL!!

they do not allow you to let a domain expire and auto-renew you automatically 2 months before it expires. 99-cents sounds good, but if you just buy a pile of stuff cuz it's cheap, you will end up owing them a pile of cash in 10 months, with no way to get out of it other than to delete your payment info and ignore their "you owe us $XXXXX' emails.

you can also cancel the domain 9 months in or transfer it out to another registrar, but this "Domain for Life" scam they're currently running is very troubling and makes them a "stay far away from" vendor. the major issue for me is if I want to keep 3 domains and let 5 expire, there is absolutely no way to do this with Rebel other than manually cancelling the 5 URLs within 9 months, thereby losing 3 months of usage.
This is why it's very important to register with a prepaid card and in case you forget and they try to nail you to the cross with some ridiculous amount of money, they are forced to send you an email and kindly advice you that your renewal couldn't be processed and you should login to update your credit card information. This creates an opportunity for the customer to decide whether they want to renew or bail out without the hassle.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
11515 posts
2407 upvotes
Montreal
OrangeBerry wrote:
Apr 24th, 2017 9:38 am
This is why it's very important to register with a prepaid card and in case you forget and they try to nail you to the cross with some ridiculous amount of money, they are forced to send you an email and kindly advice you that your renewal couldn't be processed and you should login to update your credit card information. This creates an opportunity for the customer to decide whether they want to renew or bail out without the hassle.
sure, but what if you buy 8 domain names to test out for a new site, and later you decide to keep 3 and let the other 5 expire? you simply cannot do this with rebel, as the minute you load up a new CC, they will auto-bill you for all 8.

and if you cancel the 5 domains early, thereby losing out on months of usage and forwarding traffic, then rebel just loads your old URLs with SPAM ads for those remaining months, thereby making even more money off your sorry ass.

it's a pure and utter scam, no matter which way you slice it. the ability to let domains "expire" should be a CIRA-enforced right with any registrar, and otherwise they're just sanctioning yet another unethical scheme and probably get under-the-table payments for it. otherwise, why allow the .CA domain brand to be sullied by a scammer like rebel? gotta be some $$$ involved.
Jun 15, 2009
639 posts
140 upvotes
It's business. As long as rebel has enough volume of .CA pulling their accreditation would be bad for business. To be fair, even though they are one of the smaller registries, CIRA has some of the tougher rules for the registrars. This for sure wasn't an easy sell for them and they are absolutely aware of it. You are also welcome to register with CIRA and attend one of their many public forums to voice your complaints. Or just write their CEO
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2006
1265 posts
316 upvotes
JackWhyte wrote:
Apr 24th, 2017 9:30 am
LOL, seriously? just read the thread, and it relates to their "domains for life" enforced payment plan. unless you transfer out (or cancel your domains 60+ days in advance) there is no way to let a domain expire like the other 99.9% of registrars. you will be auto-billed over and over and over.

rebel are rip-off artists, plain and simple.
I got one domain charged before I transferred out before renewal. Called them up and the CSR rep did a refund without much hassle. However, I was under the impression this was just a technical glitch (she never corrected me when I said it was), not that this was intentional. So the call wasn't hostile, but if I knew then that it was an intentional charge, the call would have went an entirely different way.

I'm a namesilo fan. Haven't had issues with them at all.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2007
2941 posts
636 upvotes
Montreal
norrric wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2017 6:53 pm
Being a newbie, can I get some recommendations on a provider, if I am a newbie and just starting out.
I do not expect much data usage, just putting up some travel pictures and emails back and forth.
This is for the domain name only. The things you list require a service behind the name. I don't know what you had in mind exactly, but I suggest you consider some of the free consumer services for email, file, and photo sharing before getting involved with custom domain names.
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
2070 posts
440 upvotes
Scarborough
JackWhyte wrote:
Apr 24th, 2017 9:44 am
sure, but what if you buy 8 domain names to test out for a new site, and later you decide to keep 3 and let the other 5 expire? you simply cannot do this with rebel, as the minute you load up a new CC, they will auto-bill you for all 8.

and if you cancel the 5 domains early, thereby losing out on months of usage and forwarding traffic, then rebel just loads your old URLs with SPAM ads for those remaining months, thereby making even more money off your sorry ass.

it's a pure and utter scam, no matter which way you slice it. the ability to let domains "expire" should be a CIRA-enforced right with any registrar, and otherwise they're just sanctioning yet another unethical scheme and probably get under-the-table payments for it. otherwise, why allow the .CA domain brand to be sullied by a scammer like rebel? gotta be some $$$ involved.
Then you use 8 different prepaid cards. There, you have the upper hand but if you're going to tell me that's too much work than you are letting them get to you.
Apr 16, 2009
785 posts
162 upvotes
Vancouver
NamesPro (one I've seen recommended quite a few times as a reasonable, Canadian registrar) is running a promo on their transfers ($9.88).

Easy enough to just go with register.ca/whc.ca then transfer (after 60 days...) over to NamesPro. 2 years for ~$11 yes please :).
Dec 30, 2015
38 posts
21 upvotes
Prepaid cards cost money to activate and their denominations won't perfectly match the cost of the items being purchased. It's not too much work. It's a lot of work. Given a choice why do this to yourself?
Feb 2, 2010
170 posts
39 upvotes
Cambridge
DefconZero wrote:
Apr 26th, 2017 1:51 pm
NamesPro (one I've seen recommended quite a few times as a reasonable, Canadian registrar) is running a promo on their transfers ($9.88).

Easy enough to just go with register.ca/whc.ca then transfer (after 60 days...) over to NamesPro. 2 years for ~$11 yes please :).
+1. Been with Namespro for many years and always had great customer service. Couldn't be happier with them for both domain registration and e-mail services.
Jun 8, 2015
12 posts
4 upvotes
I am planning to port my domains to canspace because I found their price ($9.75 for renewing CA domain) was cheaper than these competitors.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
11515 posts
2407 upvotes
Montreal
Tapout123 wrote:
Apr 26th, 2017 2:14 pm
+1. Been with Namespro for many years and always had great customer service. Couldn't be happier with them for both domain registration and e-mail services.
same here, and they even have a $6 blanket privacy option covering your entire account - great service although the domain UI could use some work.
Feb 4, 2010
138 posts
76 upvotes
Edmonton
FYI:
$2.50/year regular price = $25 for 10 years of .win

I registered a .win domain for $25 for 10 years at dynadot.com . Seemed too good to be true.. and some freebies that were a pleasant surprise ( email forwarding).
They do have good reviews for the dns side of their business but I've never used them before... time will tell.
BusBird.com - Birds-eye Bus View - Free app now available on the Google Play Store!
My experiment ( the underlying collaborative tracking ) .. feedback/ideas/leads welcomed!