• Sep 11th, 2008 10:33 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jan 12, 2006
885 posts
24 upvotes

Circular Polarizer - worth it?

First things first - i use my Camera sparingly, its one of many hobbies of mine.

Secondly, I'm a student, in a very expensive program. Thus, cash is kind of tight. However, if I feel the benefits are very good, I am willing to go and spend the cash.

So now, I've read up on what a circular polarizer does, and I think I would need one for some architectural photography that I will be doing. Not entirely sure, so I felt it would be better to ask.

Also, whats the difference between say, a Hoya Pro-1 vs some Optex circular polarizer, other than the enormous price gap?

BTW, I'm shooting a Rebel XT w/ Tamron 17-50 f2.8, but currently looking for a cheap XTI body since I hate the XT's small screen and lacklustre focal point grid.
3 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
3770 posts
461 upvotes
Toronto
If you need to photograph windows without reflections, the polarizer is the way to go. Consider buying one second-hand to cut down on costs.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2007
2217 posts
81 upvotes
Toronto
two things i consider when buying cpols
1. are they multicoated? meaning less flare is produced
2. quality of the glass. you lose contrast and sharpness whenever you put another piece of glass in front of a lense

strength of the cpol is also something to consider. i have a kenko and a sunpak. the kenko is kinda weak in terms of deepening colour in the sky however the sunpak just plain sucks. so you get what you pay for. try to get it used because it is a lot cheaper. i used the sunpak on the 17-50 as well. sucks... also the 17-50 uses quite a large front element making the cpol more expensive but i mean what can you do right?

at least it isnt the 77mm i have on my freakin 10-22