Careers

Is CISA(Systems Admin) a good choice for someone who's terrible with phones?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 29th, 2015 5:32 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2012
1474 posts
368 upvotes
Vancouver

Is CISA(Systems Admin) a good choice for someone who's terrible with phones?

Hey guys, so i've applied to this program: http://www.bcit.ca/study/programs/181adipts#overview, just to get my foot in the door.

"Computer Information Systems Administration Network Systems Administration Option"

I'm sort of aiming to become a system administrator if I go through with it. I'm not really sure on the day of the life of a system administrator, how heavy the workloads are, etc. This would be the first white collar career i'd be getting into.

I don't have social anxiety, but I think I have some sort of phobia with phones. And I don't know how often a system administrator deals with phones. I had a job where I was in charge of a warehouse and one of my responsibilities was to handle all internal and external phone calls, and man, i did a terrible job at it, whenever I picked up the phone my throat would go dry, sometimes i'd be sweating, i'd get nervous. That could have been because of all the other work I had besides handling phone calls, i'm not sure. But even if I have to make a phone call myself, i'd go out of my way to avoid it. Or i'd ask a coworker to make the phone call for me. I ended up quitting that job because I hated the phone call aspect of it.

I don't have social anxiety, I can handle conversations professionally, and better than the average person, but when it comes to dealing with phones, honestly, I get quite nervous and scared.

Is aiming to be a systems administrator a bad idea for me? Or should I just keep on the path and maybe i'll improve?

EDIT: I made an error on the title of this thread, it's supposed to be: "Is CISA(Systems Admin) a bad choice for someone who's terrible with phones?"
1 reply
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2015
2551 posts
1071 upvotes
Ontario
Just use the phone more often. Call in for random questions at your bank, Internet service, customer service. Talk to them and get customed to using the phone. Not big deal but could help with over the phone skill.

Maybe call and complain about something! That should be good practice.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)