Computers & Electronics

CISS for Artisan 50: Any recommendations?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 4th, 2010 9:19 am
Tags:
None
Jun 27, 2002
314 posts
28 upvotes
Ottawa

CISS for Artisan 50: Any recommendations?

Just curious as I know nothing in this field...

Browsed a little bit and saw a lot of discussion on pigment vs dye, claria vs khlaria...

Would welcome any experienced users' point of view/comments!

Thanks,
4 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
7311 posts
1672 upvotes
Toronto
I have the epson artisan 800 with CIS. I will give you my experiences. The CIS kits on ebay and the like are cheaply made. Mine started to leak all over my desk and laptop. I ended putting hot glue over all the tubes on the underside of the CIS unit to seal it up.

The generic ink in the CIS unit may be very low in quality. I returned my first artisan because the print heads clogged, I got a replacement and it works fine with the CIS unit, I do not know for certain if the CIS ink caused my first artisan to clog. I am guessing it is a 50/50, the first unit was a refurb and it made some funny noises when it printed even with stock ink carts.

On the artisan 50, you can route the tubing to outside. On the Artisan 800, the tubing gets pinched, there is no clear path to route the tubing outside. I could always cut a hole in the plastic, but if I did that with the first unit, there would be no way to have gotten a warranty replacement.

Color reproduction looks a bit off, all the pictures have a overly warm (orange) tint to them.

Print quality is about the same as stock ink carts. The truth is that I was never really impressed with the artisan print quality even with epson ink carts, I have a HP that i got for free with a digital cam that seems to print just as sharp and clear as the artisan.

For the artisan 50, CIS is a good choice since you can route it to the outside. If I had to do it over again, I would have saved a few bucks by buying refillable carts for the 800 and saved myself alot of hassle and ink leaks.
I workout to get big so I can pickup bricks and ****.
Jun 27, 2002
314 posts
28 upvotes
Ottawa
Thanks...

Guess I'll need to find a reputable supplier if I decide to try it...
Sep 21, 2002
192 posts
1 upvote
Orangeville
Hello if your looking for a very good ciss kit for the artisan 50 I have been dealing with a supplier on ebay for the last 4 years have bought like 10 different ciss kits for friends,family and customers, all have worked great and the one time was a faulty chip he replaced immediately, his bottles of ink are priced very cheaply also and dont clog printheads at all, unlike some of the ink i have tried, look on ebay stores for CAN-INK hes out of montreal but his shipping is cheap and super fast, good luck you will love CISS over cartridges
Jun 27, 2002
314 posts
28 upvotes
Ottawa
Thanks,

Ordered one, will see how it goes... it's actually cheaper than a set of new cartridges!!!!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)