Off Topic Archive

Locked: which cities are the most geographically stable?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 24th, 2011 5:35 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2006
1617 posts
21 upvotes
GTA

which cities are the most geographically stable?

speaking of quakes and etc. just wondering, which cities are the most stable? safe from many natural disasters.
Share:
29 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 15, 2008
7795 posts
822 upvotes
Toronto
Which ever city lies in the middle of a plain with no mountains/volcanoes. Usually no landforms = no seismic activity.
May 27, 2007
15655 posts
3043 upvotes
Toronto
chinesedevil wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2011 11:00 pm
Which ever city lies in the middle of a plain with no mountains/volcanoes. Usually no landforms = no seismic activity.

but there will be a higher chance of tornadoes if you're living on the plains? :confused:
RedFlagDeals.com
See an inappropriate post? Use the "Report Post" function to alert Moderators!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 15, 2008
7795 posts
822 upvotes
Toronto
AcidBomber wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2011 11:45 pm
but there will be a higher chance of tornadoes if you're living on the plains? :confused:

Good point, live underground? :lol:
Deal Guru
Jan 2, 2006
12205 posts
92 upvotes
Most of Europe.
WTB: A Dance With Dragons from A Song of Ice and Fire
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2001
4773 posts
38 upvotes
Toronto
Canadian Shield, nuff said.
Mark77 wrote:
Nov 16th, 2011 9:37 pm
That's not very nice....and you're missing out on a lot of valuable knowledge if you ignore me. Your loss.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2008
2277 posts
52 upvotes
Toronto
Canadian Shield, some of the oldest rocks on the planet, very stable. So anywhere north of Sudbury.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
177 upvotes
chinesedevil wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2011 11:48 pm
Good point, live underground? :lol:

flooding.
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 15, 2008
7795 posts
822 upvotes
Toronto
gman wrote:
Mar 24th, 2011 1:25 am
flooding.

i guess we need to find a way to live above the stratosphere for stable environment?
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2009
10900 posts
394 upvotes
GT&A
Little rock, arkansas
troll: someone you dislike, fear or do not comprehend...
11b guide
When the doorbell rings, it's just a request. You are not a dog, it is not a command, only a request. You are not in church, you are at home. No guilt.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
177 upvotes
chinesedevil wrote:
Mar 24th, 2011 1:28 am
i guess we need to find a way to live above the stratosphere for stable environment?

I mean besides tornado, plains has flooding. Living underground in the plains (that becomes a river) may not be a good thing.
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
177 upvotes
cheapmeister wrote:
Mar 24th, 2011 1:33 am
All u need is to live in this. This thing will withstand almost anything. :razz:

Except in an earthquake, you can be sandwiched.
Dec 26, 2007
125 posts
7 upvotes
Vancouver
This Canadian Shield area sounds intriguing. Tell me more, the cities there sounds like they are very vibrant with lots of things to do and real metropolitan like right?

If we are talking about big global cities, I believe the most stable city in the world is Singapore. Despite all the natural disasters around it (earthquakes, tsunami, floods), Singapore is never affected by it. Its location is very unique. Despite being an island and near the ring of fire, it is not on a fault line. It is also shielded on all sides by Malaysia and Indonesia so no tsunami can hit it. The 2004 earthquake was a good example. Despite the epicenter being relatively close, Singapore was not damaged at all. There are also no hurricanes and tornado, something Toronto cannot claim. The only real natural disaster that I can think of is mini flash floods, which occurs very infrequently. Also, Singapore gets hazy days, but it's from forest fires in Indonesia. Other than that, Singapore is a haven of safety.

Check out this map of earthquakes from 1963 to 1998. You can see that Singapore is like the eye of a hurricane. Western Europe is not very stable. Singapore is your best bet for a natural disaster free big city.
× < >