• Jan 24th, 2011 11:53 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2003
7399 posts
2413 upvotes
T dot 6
Well, CA68 how was the event? Did it meet your expectations? My friend went and he said it was the same thing as Eiyaya. Bell wasn't even taking resumes. They said to go to their website. My friends were hopeful and came away very disappointed. Hopefully this is the first and last event.

CA68 wrote: Finally, a recruitment event that is city-focused showcasing hundreds of jobs! They've also announced that they will be on a Canadian Tour and expand into other provinces for 2011. In fact, Bell Canada announced yesterday they are hiring over 450 positions at this show in various departments in the GTA alone and are using The City Career Expo as a launch. They're not advertising all their positions since there are too many to post and have asked everyone visit them in person during the show or to upload your resume at the show's resume upload computer kiosks (so be sure to bring a copy of your resume on a USB stick).

Previous announcements have also been made by other participating organizations like the Toronto Transit Commission (TTC), CGI, Rogers Communications, Canada Post, National Money Mart, Trader Corporation, TigerDirect, Toronto Hydro, Starbucks, Guess Canada, The Body Shop, and even Careerbuilder themselves who are hiring in various departments. Since it's their inaugural event, you can bet they're going all out! Plus it'll be nifty to sit and listen to their full line up of keynote presentations.

A group of us will be going down to line up early since we predict there's going to be a long line up. Thankfully it's a weekend event. For those who are advocating there are no genuine opportunities, clearly you're not educated enough and must do more research rather than act upon assumptions but we're fine if you stayed home, more chances for us to get jobs! We're all looking forward to this event!

Thanks to the person who posted this!
stubhub and clearly.ca suck, like really suck
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2009
1636 posts
53 upvotes
Markham
Jaytee wrote: Well, CA68 how was the event? Did it meet your expectations? My friend went and he said it was the same thing as Eiyaya. Bell wasn't even taking resumes. They said to go to their website. My friends were hopeful and came away very disappointed. Hopefully this is the first and last event.

He is just a troll signed up to promote this useless event. Most likely the organizer as well.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2003
7399 posts
2413 upvotes
T dot 6
Oh, I was being sarcastic and I guess it didn't come across. Yeah, that was definitely a organizer. Im pretty certain people wont be going back next year after word got out it was a complete was of time and money.
wasserware wrote: He is just a troll signed up to promote this useless event. Most likely the organizer as well.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2009
1636 posts
53 upvotes
Markham
Jaytee wrote: Oh, I was being sarcastic and I guess it didn't come across. Yeah, that was definitely a organizer. Im pretty certain people wont be going back next year after word got out it was a complete was of time and money.

Sometimes it makes me wonder if these type of events is just a cash grab for the organizers. The so called "employee" representing the various companies there must have too much time on their hand.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
9473 posts
2650 upvotes
wasserware wrote: I told people a long time ago this is a complete waste of time and money.

Very true. Nothing more than insurance jobs and schools hounding you.
Sep 7, 2009
114 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
These events are just money grabs for the convention center to fill up voids between trade shows and expos. No orgainzation of any worth actually uses third party career expos. Look at that list of exhibitors; mostly private career colleges and insurance companies. I went to this 2 years ago and I felt like i was scammed. I should have known better!
Jun 15, 2009
234 posts
22 upvotes
Bradford
Not only was this "career expo" a waste of time, but the $20 Guess Gift Card was a scam. I tried to use mine the other day (because it doesn't expire till Dec 31st, 2010) and I was told that the card was never activated.

Did anyone else run into this issue?
Banned
Jul 8, 2009
4006 posts
127 upvotes
block7 wrote: hey RFD

saw this on the direct energy centre website http://www.directenergycentre.com/event ... 30&venue=5

Looks like I'll be going!

There are many snobs on this board, as if sales jobs are less than other jobs. Everyone in this board is in love with ibanking which is a sales job. but no one even seems to realize that. In 5 years a salesman who is not promoted is making 80-100k and sometimes much higher and those promoted to sales manager can earn up to 150k. I had a professor who was an oil sales man and he was making 550k at the top of his career when he was about 35. Problem is in almost all jobs now a days when you hit 40 your fired because your too expenseive for your experience, 20-15 years. many people here are short sighted. If you are paid a base salary of min wage, you make less than a salary based off of bonuses or whatever.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2003
7399 posts
2413 upvotes
T dot 6
Woah, I think you are overrating, are you a salesmen? Not a lot of people can do sales, its a tough job especially if your product/service sucks but the people who are good at it make a lot of money.

I think the point is, the City Career sucked and it didn't really offer any job opportunities yet people had to pay just to attend.
jungeon wrote: There are many snobs on this board, as if sales jobs are less than other jobs. Everyone in this board is in love with ibanking which is a sales job. but no one even seems to realize that. In 5 years a salesman who is not promoted is making 80-100k and sometimes much higher and those promoted to sales manager can earn up to 150k. I had a professor who was an oil sales man and he was making 550k at the top of his career when he was about 35. Problem is in almost all jobs now a days when you hit 40 your fired because your too expenseive for your experience, 20-15 years. many people here are short sighted. If you are paid a base salary of min wage, you make less than a salary based off of bonuses or whatever.
Feb 11, 2008
207 posts
3 upvotes
www.thecitycareerexpo.com

Dates: January 26 - 27, 2011

Times: 11:00 am to 6:00 pm

Admission: $10.00 Pre-register online and get $2.00 off

Location: Skywalk at Union Station - 7 Station Street, Toronto ON

Exhibitors include HP Canada, KPMG LLP, and Telus Communications.

Are you guys going?
Deal Addict
Aug 8, 2005
3467 posts
187 upvotes
GTA
There' s going to be a lot of pissed off commuters if the skywalk is closed to them.......
Jan 18, 2011
391 posts
77 upvotes
Toronto
That list of companies going to the career fair is horrible!

Mostly retail and sales, with the occasional public sector company such as the Hospital for Sick Children or the Toronto Fire Services showing up to spread the word about what they do.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2001
2497 posts
388 upvotes
Ajax
wasserware wrote: You sound like a person who has just signed up from one of the organizers just to promote this event? Sure Bell Canada has over 450 positions. I bet all of them are commisioned sales position that almost anyone can get. So is the jobs from Rogers, Canada Post etc.

Absolutely they are. +1

Now that i see a fee is required to gain entrance, it's even more sad.