• Last Updated:
  • Jan 16th, 2018 10:58 am
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
27797 posts
820 upvotes
Dildo, NL
^ LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!! This should be retitled "Learn about Canadian cities".
unlim national, unlim Global SMS, CD/VM, 8Gb of Blazing Fast LTE $45
PC Plus Tally: $2480 [Yota Mafia] Ebates 2017 Tally: $39.74, Late to da game
100% BST & Heatware Trader since 2005
Photobucket, Suck a Big Fat Stinkin'...
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
8654 posts
12970 upvotes
Scarborough
bubble.tea wrote:
May 9th, 2017 7:26 am
^ LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!! This should be retitled "Learn about Canadian cities".
We should have a contest. Whoever pops up in a preselected mystery city wins a $100 Tim's gift card. The catch is they need to pick it up from that city.

On a serious note if anyone who had manually set their location and then had it change to a new city, please let me know. We didn't modify the automatic city selection in the update so those users still have a chance to pop up in other places.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
27797 posts
820 upvotes
Dildo, NL
TomRFD wrote:
May 9th, 2017 11:32 am
.... wins a $100 Tim's gift card. The catch is they need to pick it up from that city....
Now that's dirty.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
16178 posts
4703 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
wtf I just realized that moss park is an area in Toronto and Longmoor is pretty much a small city block down the street from me. These aren't even cities

And here I was hoping to take a trip to beautiful longmoor ontario to bask in the beauty of its scenery and small town way of life.

disappoint
deleted to keep the site family friendly. Was about copping sick fadez.
Well there's no sick fadez left to be copped now that the regimen cannot be admired in all its glory
RIP sick fadez.
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
13944 posts
3590 upvotes
Apparently i'm in The Annex, ON Confused Face
Housing prices are still too high even in this unknown place.
Lies, damned lies, statistics and alternative facts
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
27797 posts
820 upvotes
Dildo, NL
nasa25 wrote:
May 9th, 2017 12:11 pm
...And here I was hoping to take a trip to beautiful longmoor ontario to bask in the beauty of its scenery and small town way of life.

disappoint
I quite enjoy your write-ups.

feeling lonely?
Quentin5 wrote:
May 22nd, 2017 11:41 pm
Apparently i'm in The Annex, ON Confused Face
Housing prices are still too high even in this unknown place.
Actually it is a proper set of blocks. Tdot has one, Ottawa has one also. lol.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
1305 posts
497 upvotes
Vancouver
This thread is very old, but the problem is still present. My geography lessons and space jumps are limited to the Centre of the World only… Whenever I manually return my location back to Vancouver, it jumps to Toronto in no time… Goes on like this for ever…

Just envy guys who travel all over Canada…
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity".
Oct 15, 2016
57 posts
65 upvotes
max011 wrote:
Dec 24th, 2017 1:14 pm
it jumps to Toronto in no time…
Same here. I had to explicitly disable location sharing with RFD in Firefox.

I looked into fixing the browser location sharing itself: the apparent cause is that there are no wifi networks visible from your PC (i.e., you're on wired network with no enabled wifi-card, or your own wifi is the only visible network) and no GPS hardware in your computer. This leaves only your IP address to locate you, which really just locates your ISP.

EDIT: got Location Guard extension for firefox, https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ion-guard/ and set to a fake location in my real city. After setting your "fake" location (drag a pin on the map) set "Default Level" option to "Use fixed location."
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
1305 posts
497 upvotes
Vancouver
redbag wrote:
Dec 24th, 2017 4:04 pm
Same here. I had to explicitly disable location sharing with RFD in Firefox.

I looked into fixing the browser location sharing itself: the apparent cause is that there are no wifi networks visible from your PC (i.e., you're on wired network with no enabled wifi-card, or your own wifi is the only visible network) and no GPS hardware in your computer. This leaves only your IP address to locate you, which really just locates your ISP.

EDIT: got Location Guard extension for firefox, https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ion-guard/ and set to a fake location in my real city. After setting your "fake" location (drag a pin on the map) set "Default Level" option to "Use fixed location."
You might be right here, this is a comp on wired network w/o GPS... However even with my ISP being firmly rooted in Vancouver, BC it jumps to Toronto, ON daily.. My IP is the same always, static, BC... Who knows...

But I'll look into that Location Guard for sure, sounds interesting. Thanks a lot! That should help!
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity".
Oct 15, 2016
57 posts
65 upvotes
never mind, it doesn't really work. It holds for a few minutes and reverts to Toronto on my next visit.
Jul 16, 2012
41 posts
7 upvotes
Laval, QC
Same problem for me. Im always stuck in Toronto, even if I set it manually to Laval. Using Google Chrome.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
1020 posts
70 upvotes
Medicine Hat and SW …
Likewise, my location is always Toronto regardless of manually setting it elsewhere. It's been like this for at least a year.
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
13944 posts
3590 upvotes
Ctrl-Z wrote:
Jan 6th, 2018 12:49 am
Likewise, my location is always Toronto regardless of manually setting it elsewhere. It's been like this for at least a year.
The center of the universe has such a strong gravitational pull that the software probably assumes we have all been sucked into it. Thats probably the real explanation behind the polar vortex Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Lies, damned lies, statistics and alternative facts
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2007
5633 posts
635 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
Today I am on wifi in Courtenay, BC, but RFD says I am in Toronto.

When I was in Mexico last November, RFD placed me in many places, none of which were in Mexico.
Earthlings, you're evicted.
You are not getting the damage deposit back.

God