• Last Updated:
  • Dec 14th, 2019 11:53 am
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
13024 posts
24221 upvotes
Scarborough
bubble.tea wrote: ^ LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!! This should be retitled "Learn about Canadian cities".
We should have a contest. Whoever pops up in a preselected mystery city wins a $100 Tim's gift card. The catch is they need to pick it up from that city.

On a serious note if anyone who had manually set their location and then had it change to a new city, please let me know. We didn't modify the automatic city selection in the update so those users still have a chance to pop up in other places.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
28528 posts
1246 upvotes
PunkeyDoodles Corner…
TomRFD wrote: .... wins a $100 Tim's gift card. The catch is they need to pick it up from that city....
Now that's dirty.
PayTM - $120
PC OPT: $4574 Ebates: $68.42
100%+ BST, Heatware Est. 2005, Marketplace eCommerce & Kijiji 5-Star
FS/WTT Wolverine/LOWA/Quality & Vintage Mens footwear Sz 3D-13D
~
FS Boots & Curb Stompers, Allen Edmonds
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21166 posts
10601 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
wtf I just realized that moss park is an area in Toronto and Longmoor is pretty much a small city block down the street from me. These aren't even cities

And here I was hoping to take a trip to beautiful longmoor ontario to bask in the beauty of its scenery and small town way of life.

disappoint
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
16158 posts
5430 upvotes
Apparently i'm in The Annex, ON Confused Face
Housing prices are still too high even in this unknown place.
In Japan, the hand can be used like a knife.
But this method doesn't work with a tomato...
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
28528 posts
1246 upvotes
PunkeyDoodles Corner…
nasa25 wrote: ...And here I was hoping to take a trip to beautiful longmoor ontario to bask in the beauty of its scenery and small town way of life.

disappoint
I quite enjoy your write-ups.

feeling lonely?
Quentin5 wrote: Apparently i'm in The Annex, ON Confused Face
Housing prices are still too high even in this unknown place.
Actually it is a proper set of blocks. Tdot has one, Ottawa has one also. lol.
PayTM - $120
PC OPT: $4574 Ebates: $68.42
100%+ BST, Heatware Est. 2005, Marketplace eCommerce & Kijiji 5-Star
FS/WTT Wolverine/LOWA/Quality & Vintage Mens footwear Sz 3D-13D
~
FS Boots & Curb Stompers, Allen Edmonds
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
3674 posts
3964 upvotes
Vancouver
This thread is very old, but the problem is still present. My geography lessons and space jumps are limited to the Centre of the World only… Whenever I manually return my location back to Vancouver, it jumps to Toronto in no time… Goes on like this for ever…

Just envy guys who travel all over Canada…
"A fool and his money are soon parted" Thomas Tusser (1524-1580)
Oct 15, 2016
201 posts
235 upvotes
max011 wrote: it jumps to Toronto in no time…
Same here. I had to explicitly disable location sharing with RFD in Firefox.

I looked into fixing the browser location sharing itself: the apparent cause is that there are no wifi networks visible from your PC (i.e., you're on wired network with no enabled wifi-card, or your own wifi is the only visible network) and no GPS hardware in your computer. This leaves only your IP address to locate you, which really just locates your ISP.

EDIT: got Location Guard extension for firefox, https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ion-guard/ and set to a fake location in my real city. After setting your "fake" location (drag a pin on the map) set "Default Level" option to "Use fixed location."
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
3674 posts
3964 upvotes
Vancouver
redbag wrote: Same here. I had to explicitly disable location sharing with RFD in Firefox.

I looked into fixing the browser location sharing itself: the apparent cause is that there are no wifi networks visible from your PC (i.e., you're on wired network with no enabled wifi-card, or your own wifi is the only visible network) and no GPS hardware in your computer. This leaves only your IP address to locate you, which really just locates your ISP.

EDIT: got Location Guard extension for firefox, https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ion-guard/ and set to a fake location in my real city. After setting your "fake" location (drag a pin on the map) set "Default Level" option to "Use fixed location."
You might be right here, this is a comp on wired network w/o GPS... However even with my ISP being firmly rooted in Vancouver, BC it jumps to Toronto, ON daily.. My IP is the same always, static, BC... Who knows...

But I'll look into that Location Guard for sure, sounds interesting. Thanks a lot! That should help!
"A fool and his money are soon parted" Thomas Tusser (1524-1580)
Oct 15, 2016
201 posts
235 upvotes
never mind, it doesn't really work. It holds for a few minutes and reverts to Toronto on my next visit.
Jul 16, 2012
100 posts
26 upvotes
Laval, QC
Same problem for me. Im always stuck in Toronto, even if I set it manually to Laval. Using Google Chrome.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
1150 posts
154 upvotes
Medicine Hat and SW …
Likewise, my location is always Toronto regardless of manually setting it elsewhere. It's been like this for at least a year.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
16158 posts
5430 upvotes
Ctrl-Z wrote: Likewise, my location is always Toronto regardless of manually setting it elsewhere. It's been like this for at least a year.
The center of the universe has such a strong gravitational pull that the software probably assumes we have all been sucked into it. Thats probably the real explanation behind the polar vortex Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
In Japan, the hand can be used like a knife.
But this method doesn't work with a tomato...
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2007
7277 posts
1931 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
Today I am on wifi in Courtenay, BC, but RFD says I am in Toronto.

When I was in Mexico last November, RFD placed me in many places, none of which were in Mexico.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it." Upton Sinclair

“Our house is on fire.” Greta Thunberg