• Last Updated:
  • Apr 10th, 2018 10:10 am
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2009
1747 posts
198 upvotes
Calgary
For the past month or so, my city has been reverted to Toronto every time I come back to the site.

I change it back to Calgary so I can see my flyers, and it stays for the duration of my page visit. Then when I log back on, it switches me back to Toronto. I am not using a VPN.

Is there a way to just permanently set it to one city and have it not change without my permission?
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
14399 posts
3852 upvotes
MexiCanuck wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 9:48 pm
Today I am on wifi in Courtenay, BC, but RFD says I am in Toronto.

When I was in Mexico last November, RFD placed me in many places, none of which were in Mexico.
Mine now only says Toronto, i kinda liked when it jumped, i got to be in different places all the time, Seaton Village, The Annex, other places i had never heard of Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Lies, damned lies, statistics and alternative facts
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2007
5669 posts
654 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
canehdianman wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 10:54 am
For the past month or so, my city has been reverted to Toronto every time I come back to the site.

I change it back to Calgary so I can see my flyers, and it stays for the duration of my page visit. Then when I log back on, it switches me back to Toronto. I am not using a VPN.

Is there a way to just permanently set it to one city and have it not change without my permission?
This is my experience too. I set my location to where I am. When I return to RFD, the site says I am in Toronto.

It is an irritant to me, but not a big deal.

But if I were an advertiser trying to geographically target advertising (not in Toronto) on RFD, I might be less forgiving.
Earthlings, you're evicted.
You are not getting the damage deposit back.

God
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2007
5669 posts
654 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
This morning I don’t even have to log out to be “sent to Toronto”.

I set my correct location. I changed forums. I was in Toronto.

This happened repeatedly.

EDIT
Now I don’t have to change forum. My location setting was correct. As soon as I touched the “Post Button” I was sent to Toronto.
Earthlings, you're evicted.
You are not getting the damage deposit back.

God
Jan 17, 2003
612 posts
65 upvotes
BC
even though i chose kamloops it still switches to Toronto ....;/
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2009
1747 posts
198 upvotes
Calgary
What is the deal with this?

Why does it default me back to Toronto every time I open RFD?

My guess is to make it look like everyone lives near the centre of the universe for advertisers. Seems pretty shady.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
3084 posts
622 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Maybe Toronto has enlarged its metro area... All of Canada part of GTA!! Smiling Face With Open Mouth

New cost savings policy by Wynne!!
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
14399 posts
3852 upvotes
georvu wrote:
Apr 9th, 2018 12:10 pm
Maybe Toronto has enlarged its metro area... All of Canada part of GTA!! Smiling Face With Open Mouth

New cost savings policy by Wynne!!
That would be quite the accomplishment, if she convinced every premier to become part of Ontario and the GTA then she is in the wrong job and should work on more important matters.
Lies, damned lies, statistics and alternative facts
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
8967 posts
13343 upvotes
Scarborough
canehdianman wrote:
Apr 9th, 2018 11:42 am
What is the deal with this?

Why does it default me back to Toronto every time I open RFD?

My guess is to make it look like everyone lives near the centre of the universe for advertisers. Seems pretty shady.
It's a known bug which unfortunately only affects a very small percentage of users so it's been difficult for us to figure out. The dev team has spent hours trying to replicate it in house but weren't able to. It's still something we're looking into and hopefully we'll be able to push a fix for it soon.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].