• Last Updated:
  • Dec 3rd, 2018 2:21 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2009
1811 posts
273 upvotes
Calgary
For the past month or so, my city has been reverted to Toronto every time I come back to the site.

I change it back to Calgary so I can see my flyers, and it stays for the duration of my page visit. Then when I log back on, it switches me back to Toronto. I am not using a VPN.

Is there a way to just permanently set it to one city and have it not change without my permission?
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
15033 posts
4336 upvotes
MexiCanuck wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 9:48 pm
Today I am on wifi in Courtenay, BC, but RFD says I am in Toronto.

When I was in Mexico last November, RFD placed me in many places, none of which were in Mexico.
Mine now only says Toronto, i kinda liked when it jumped, i got to be in different places all the time, Seaton Village, The Annex, other places i had never heard of Smiling Face With Sunglasses
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2007
5799 posts
827 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
canehdianman wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 10:54 am
For the past month or so, my city has been reverted to Toronto every time I come back to the site.

I change it back to Calgary so I can see my flyers, and it stays for the duration of my page visit. Then when I log back on, it switches me back to Toronto. I am not using a VPN.

Is there a way to just permanently set it to one city and have it not change without my permission?
This is my experience too. I set my location to where I am. When I return to RFD, the site says I am in Toronto.

It is an irritant to me, but not a big deal.

But if I were an advertiser trying to geographically target advertising (not in Toronto) on RFD, I might be less forgiving.
Earthlings, you're evicted.
You are not getting the damage deposit back.

God
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2007
5799 posts
827 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
This morning I don’t even have to log out to be “sent to Toronto”.

I set my correct location. I changed forums. I was in Toronto.

This happened repeatedly.

EDIT
Now I don’t have to change forum. My location setting was correct. As soon as I touched the “Post Button” I was sent to Toronto.
Earthlings, you're evicted.
You are not getting the damage deposit back.

God
Jan 17, 2003
612 posts
65 upvotes
BC
even though i chose kamloops it still switches to Toronto ....;/
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2009
1811 posts
273 upvotes
Calgary
What is the deal with this?

Why does it default me back to Toronto every time I open RFD?

My guess is to make it look like everyone lives near the centre of the universe for advertisers. Seems pretty shady.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
3745 posts
928 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Maybe Toronto has enlarged its metro area... All of Canada part of GTA!! Smiling Face With Open Mouth

New cost savings policy by Wynne!!
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
15033 posts
4336 upvotes
georvu wrote:
Apr 9th, 2018 12:10 pm
Maybe Toronto has enlarged its metro area... All of Canada part of GTA!! Smiling Face With Open Mouth

New cost savings policy by Wynne!!
That would be quite the accomplishment, if she convinced every premier to become part of Ontario and the GTA then she is in the wrong job and should work on more important matters.
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
10257 posts
16276 upvotes
Scarborough
canehdianman wrote:
Apr 9th, 2018 11:42 am
What is the deal with this?

Why does it default me back to Toronto every time I open RFD?

My guess is to make it look like everyone lives near the centre of the universe for advertisers. Seems pretty shady.
It's a known bug which unfortunately only affects a very small percentage of users so it's been difficult for us to figure out. The dev team has spent hours trying to replicate it in house but weren't able to. It's still something we're looking into and hopefully we'll be able to push a fix for it soon.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
3256 posts
2785 upvotes
Vancouver
Any update? Bug still exists for me. Now matter how many times I set it, when I leave and come back it reverts to Toronto.
18% = GTA residents as a proportion of Canada's total population
97% = chance that an RFDer lives in the GTA when he posts something location specific, without giving a location

Were you hit with surprise customs/import fees on an Amazon.ca purchase?
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
10257 posts
16276 upvotes
Scarborough
Kiraly wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2018 10:28 pm
Any update? Bug still exists for me. Now matter how many times I set it, when I leave and come back it reverts to Toronto.
I brought this back up not that long ago with the dev team. I think it's being looked into again soon and I'll try to get a more detailed timeline on what's happening and post an update here.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Jun 25, 2012
62 posts
36 upvotes
Montreal
I am having the same issue,
My location in my profile is Montreal, but RFD is showing Toronto whenever I get back to the website.
If it can help, I believe it's related to my ISP, Teksavvy isn't updating my location so if you are using ISP-based geolocation, then it could be it.
Other websites, even speedtest, are claiming I am in Toronto.

Maybe what needs to be done is a way (profile settings) to force to use the saved location in your profile instead of looking at your discovered location. I understand people moving around and visiting new cities would want deals to switch to that particular city where they are at, but for others like me, I would want to disable the geolocation discovery.
Sep 13, 2015
251 posts
213 upvotes
Alberta
My location is always going back to Toronto too. Even when I set my location manually, it reverts back to Toronto upon any activity...
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
3256 posts
2785 upvotes
Vancouver
Me too it's annoying. Viewing retailer threads the handy feature that shows where the closest locations are is useless because it's always showing Toronto locations.

Hey RFD team. If this can't be fixed how about changing the default location to something other than Toronto on a weekly or other rotating basis. Then at least it will be right for us some of the time, like how a stopped clock is right twice a day. Only 18% of Canadians live in the GTA you know, maybe it can be set to Toronto 18% of the time instead of 100% of the time.
18% = GTA residents as a proportion of Canada's total population
97% = chance that an RFDer lives in the GTA when he posts something location specific, without giving a location

Were you hit with surprise customs/import fees on an Amazon.ca purchase?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)