• Last Updated:
  • Dec 3rd, 2018 2:21 pm
Mar 4, 2015
97 posts
60 upvotes
Vancouver
Switched from Teksavvy via shaw to Telus, still defaulting to Toronto. Would be nice if it was fixed.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
3252 posts
2780 upvotes
Vancouver
TomRFD wrote:
Apr 10th, 2018 10:10 am
It's a known bug which unfortunately only affects a very small percentage of users so it's been difficult for us to figure out. The dev team has spent hours trying to replicate it in house but weren't able to. It's still something we're looking into and hopefully we'll be able to push a fix for it soon.
Hey Tom, it's actually working for me now! I select Vancouver and it sticks after page reloads and even browser relaunches. Was this finally fixed for all of us?
18% = GTA residents as a proportion of Canada's total population
97% = chance that an RFDer lives in the GTA when he posts something location specific, without giving a location

Were you hit with surprise customs/import fees on an Amazon.ca purchase?
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
10245 posts
16254 upvotes
Scarborough
Kiraly wrote:
Oct 16th, 2018 12:46 pm
Hey Tom, it's actually working for me now! I select Vancouver and it sticks after page reloads and even browser relaunches. Was this finally fixed for all of us?
We didn't push out a fix for this but it's possible that our maintenance on Friday night unexpectedly fixed the bug. That sure would be a nice surprise. Please keep me posted if the city change sticks or if it reverts back to Toronto.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Feb 1, 2018
557 posts
561 upvotes
Montréal
Definitely not fixed. I keep manually setting mine to Montreal, but it switches to Toronto next time I click on any other page. I've long since given up trying to switch it, but I tested it again today in hopes that somehow it had magically been fixed. Alas, nope.

I guess it's just another example of Toronto-centre-of-the-universe-itis.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
3252 posts
2780 upvotes
Vancouver
Easy come easy go. Mine was working for the last week, but now the problem has returned. It constantly reverts to Toronto.

Hey @TomRFD. Until this can be fixed permanently, I'm renewing my request to have the default location changed to something other than Toronto, perhaps on a weekly or other rotating basis. As hard as this may be for many RFDers to believe, only a small minority (18%) of Canadians live in the GTA. Maybe the default location can be set to Toronto 18% of the time instead of 100% of the time.
97% = chance that an RFDer lives in the GTA when he posts something location specific, without giving a location

Jun 6, 2012
249 posts
3979 upvotes
Saskatchewan
Kiraly wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2018 11:45 am
Easy come easy go. Mine was working for the last week, but now the problem has returned. It constantly reverts to Toronto.

Hey @TomRFD. Until this can be fixed permanently, I'm renewing my request to have the default location changed to something other than Toronto, perhaps on a weekly or other rotating basis. As hard as this may be for many RFDers to believe, only a small minority (18%) of Canadians live in the GTA. Maybe the default location can be set to Toronto 18% of the time instead of 100% of the time.
Yup. Good Idea
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
10245 posts
16254 upvotes
Scarborough
Kiraly wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2018 11:45 am

Thanks for the update. I confirmed with a developer that nothing was actually done regarding this issue so it (temporarily) working was just a fluke thing.

I understand how frustrating this is and I'll try to see if there is another solution to it because we still haven't been able to determine why this is happening.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
3252 posts
2780 upvotes
Vancouver
Okay...and about my idea of changing the default location to something other than Toronto? At least for some of the time? Saskatchewan never gets enough love, IMO.

Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
15033 posts
4336 upvotes
I look at this problem this way, we all get to boast about living in the center of the entire universe without paying high housing prices, having your government taken away from you or dealing with non stop constant traffic.

The exception being the Vancouverites.
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Jul 15, 2008
10 posts
1 upvote
winnipeg
Im in Winnipeg and it always sets me to default to Toronto, when i refresh it will change be to toronto
Jan 13, 2006
74 posts
14 upvotes
Coquitlam
same here. cant believe you haven't figured this out yet
Jun 6, 2012
249 posts
3979 upvotes
Saskatchewan
Over a year, maybe 2 years and still no solution??????

Why not put it out there as a challenge to coders. Maybe someone outside your company can fix it.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
3252 posts
2780 upvotes
Vancouver
@TomRFD
Still broken. Renewing request to change the default location to something other than Toronto for while. Not fair that nobody in Toronto effectively experiences this bug. Imagine if a whole bunch of centre of the universe RFDers start having their location set to Flin Flon, that'll make their heads spin.

Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
1382 posts
436 upvotes
London
Kiraly wrote:
Nov 19th, 2018 7:11 pm
@TomRFD
Still broken. Renewing request to change the default location to something other than Toronto for while. Not fair that nobody in Toronto effectively experiences this bug. Imagine if a whole bunch of centre of the universe RFDers start having their location set to Flin Flon, that'll make their heads spin.
I'm growing convinced that the reason this isn't fixed is that some developer in Toronto does a test, and says looks good to me.
Jan 13, 2006
74 posts
14 upvotes
Coquitlam
I switched my location to Vancouver (am located near there) and it has stuck for a couple of days. Maybe working ?