Expired Hot Deals

[Cityfone] 400min, Unlimited Evening/Weekend/Text, 2GB - $28/month after discounts

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 2nd, 2017 8:48 pm
[OP]
Mar 6, 2016
58 posts
15 upvotes

400min, Unlimited Evening/Weekend/Text, 2GB - $28/month after discounts

Deal Link:
Retailer:
Cityfone
Current plan:

400 Canada Wide Minutes
2 GB Data
Evening & Weekend : Unlimited Canada Wide
Unlimited text messages
Features included: Voicemail, Call Display, Name Display, Call Waiting & Conference Calling

Cost: 20$/month first 3 months , 40$/month after

Free phone: Samsung J3 or Huawey GR5 ( you can sell it for 180$)

Referral: 50$

Total discount: 290$ ( 50 - referral, 180 - phone , 60 - 50% off first 3 months )
290$ / 24 months = 12 $ / month discount

40 $ - 12 $ = $28/month

Network : Rogers
Images
  • 2017-02-11_7-22-09.jpg
Last edited by User248597 on Feb 11th, 2017 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
46 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2013
5001 posts
1097 upvotes
Manila, Philippines
Wow promo are piping out like mushrooms every where hard to choose which one is the best deal.

Freedom Mobile

Jul 22, 2011
661 posts
136 upvotes
Burlington
Wow wonder what Zoomer is going do now. Maybe time to Public Mobile for Canadawide Calling.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2015
1011 posts
474 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
User248597 wrote: Free phone: Samsung J3 or Huawey GR5 ( you can sell it for 180$)
With a market full of these devices for sale from the Zoomer promo, you'll be lucky to get $125.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
19296 posts
7413 upvotes
Toronto
The price in the title is misleading. It appears to be unconditionally $28.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
2192 posts
1531 upvotes
SW Ontario
Misleading title :(
I'd rather be outdoors camping, kayaking, and mountain biking ...
Aug 23, 2012
42 posts
23 upvotes
Montreal
Bianco13 wrote: With a market full of these devices for sale from the Zoomer promo, you'll be lucky to get $125.
I just sold my Huawei GR5 on Kijiji for $175, it took only one day, I paid $16 for factory unlock though.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2002
2841 posts
573 upvotes
Ajax
This is a math calculation depending on phone sale....definitely YMMV
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2015
1011 posts
474 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
marperson wrote: I just sold my Huawei GR5 on Kijiji for $175, it took only one day, I paid $16 for factory unlock though.
Lucky you!! I sold a locked GR5 (for a friend) for $160 about 2 weeks ago. Now I have one more brand new GR5's I can't even unload for $135, especially since Kijiji is flooded with them. I might as well keep it as a back up phone.
Jun 17, 2003
628 posts
235 upvotes
Toronto
Kimberlee1 wrote: Wow wonder what Zoomer is going do now.
Zoomer is just a sub-brand of Cityfone, which tends to test out different pricing promos across their various sub-brands.
May 14, 2008
460 posts
185 upvotes
Toronto
the real $28/month with 2gb data would be a hot deal.
Dec 15, 2010
17 posts
5 upvotes
I talked to the cityfone rep when I was switching to Zoomer last month for their $36 promo. When you figure out all the discounts the difference is exactly zero between the Zoomer offer and the cityfone offer. Cityfone just loads up the discounts early on and then switches to $40 a month thereafter. The longer you keep the Zoomer plan the better the overall savings.

I too had a gr5 that I couldn't sell for $135. As soon as I dropped to $120 it disappeared within hours. I felt that the longer I held onto it, the less valuable it was going to become. Still happy though with the outcome.

My Zoomer plan is working perfectly. It runs on the Rogers network, voicemail works, service is fantastic. I don't know why everyone isn't busting down the doors to get this deal.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2002
3429 posts
1967 upvotes
Toronto
grrlguide wrote: I don't know why everyone isn't busting down the doors to get this deal.
I'm not surprised, I've told so many friends, family, co-workers about the cityfone/zoomer promos since the fall...and only 3 actually jumped ship.
I can understand those who are still on the hook for subsidized hardware (or who already have amazing grandfathered plans) for not making the switch, but for others it was a matter of "I can't be bothered", to skepticism (i.e. "if they're so good, how come I haven't heard of it", or "there has to be a catch, right?", or "these little companies can be wiped out in no time") about zoomer/cityfone...no matter how much "evidence" you give.
I suppose it's just a reflection of the larger consumer population - the difference between smart shoppers (RFD'ers) and everybody else.

But of course there are also those needs exceed what zoomer/cityfone has to offer but that's besides the point.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2011
2448 posts
1031 upvotes
GTA
Fightguard wrote: I'm not surprised, I've told so many friends, family, co-workers about the cityfone/zoomer promos since the fall...and only 3 actually jumped ship.
I can understand those who are still on the hook for subsidized hardware (or who already have amazing grandfathered plans) for not making the switch, but for others it was a matter of "I can't be bothered", to skepticism (i.e. "if they're so good, how come I haven't heard of it", or "there has to be a catch, right?", or "these little companies can be wiped out in no time") about zoomer/cityfone...no matter how much "evidence" you give.
I suppose it's just a reflection of the larger consumer population - the difference between smart shoppers (RFD'ers) and everybody else.

But of course there are also those needs exceed what zoomer/cityfone has to offer but that's besides the point.
+1

I've been with them for over two years. Many of my friends have switched - those that haven't either like the hardware subsidies the big players offer or are major data users.

Most had never heard of Cityfone / Zoomer. My guess is that Rogers only allows them to advertise in very limited ways. What I mean is Zoomer advertises in Zoomer Magazine and through CARP. Sears Connect through infrequent ads in Sears credit card statements and RBC and the other Cityfone variants only to their existing customer bases. Probably one of their most effective advertising methods is through the RFD community!
Have a Question? Don't be afraid to ask.
Jul 6, 2016
107 posts
83 upvotes
I can vouch for Cityfone's good customer service. However, their reception is a tad behind Bell's. In places (i.e. inside buildings, inside my house) where I consistently got full reception, Cityfone only gives me about half of full reception. Rarely do I ever achieve full LTE speeds.