None
[OP]
Mar 26, 2012
36 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto

civil engineering technician/technologist

Hello forum,

I am thinking of starting a new career and thinking of civil engineering technician/technologist. Seneca offers 2-year CE technician and 3-year CE technologist programs. What, do you think, would be job prospects after the 2-year program? Should I rather do the 3-year Technologist program?

My goal is to launch my first job as soon as possible. Within the CE field which directions are hottest, Design and drafting, surveying, structural engineering, transportation engineering, municipal engineering? In which of these directions is it easiest to launch a first job?

I would appreciate any comments or suggestions regarding the field and the Seneca programs. In general, how good is Seneca in finding a coop for its students?

Thank you!
4 replies
Jan 7, 2012
79 posts
470 upvotes
Calgary
Can't comment on the situation out east, but where I'm working we seem to be constantly short of civil techs, and not getting many nibbles on the job postings that are out. Hard to say what it'll be like 2+ years from now, but I'd say it's relatively secure and stable career path in Alberta.

Focus on whatever interests you most, but don't assume you have to specialize just to get a job. All of the directions/areas you mentioned are in demand. I'm an EIT that didn't specialize within civil engineering, and it's been to my benefit as I can easily pick up work from other departments, do field work or office work, and so forth. Gives me a whole lot more job security than somebody that can only do design/drafting, or only field work, or whatever.
Oct 3, 2009
433 posts
125 upvotes
CET's are in high demand in Alberta, you will have a job the day after you graduate.
[OP]
Mar 26, 2012
36 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
Intotheblue12 wrote:
Apr 8th, 2012 8:38 pm
CET's are in high demand in Alberta, you will have a job the day after you graduate.
Intotheblue12, could you please, elaborate on this, what occupations within CET are most demanded, any industries besides construction, what parts of Alberta? Is it possible to find a job as a CET somewhere close to the Oil and Gas industry? I would gladly work somewhere far North.

Thank you!
Oct 3, 2009
433 posts
125 upvotes
Eli1111 wrote:
Apr 9th, 2012 2:02 pm
Intotheblue12, could you please, elaborate on this, what occupations within CET are most demanded, any industries besides construction, what parts of Alberta? Is it possible to find a job as a CET somewhere close to the Oil and Gas industry? I would gladly work somewhere far North.

Thank you!

I know there is high demand for CET's from the big general contractor companies in Alberta. I have heard of people receiving multiple offers from various GC's and the starting comp is quite nice. It depends on the GC though whether you work up north or not. Most of the GC's in Alberta have projects ongoing or planned in the fort mac area so you do have to be willing to travel a bit. I can only speak for the demand in the GC area.