Home & Garden

Cleaned my quartz countertop island with spray, may have ruined it, how to fix?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 26th, 2020 11:00 pm
[OP]
Jul 25, 2008
924 posts
388 upvotes
Toronto

Cleaned my quartz countertop island with spray, may have ruined it, how to fix?

So I bought this disinfectant spray called Swis miracle Disinfectant Spray 'N Wipe. The active ingredients are n-Alkyl Dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride (specific concentration can be seen in image below). The label states it can be used to disinfect hard non-porous inaminate surfaces (see image of label). I used it on my quartz kitchen island countertop and my kid's play table (looks like this) which is MDF.

The table surface is noticeabley discoloured now. As for the island, its not as noticeable. You would have to compare it to a part of the surface that wasn't cleaned with the spray to tell a difference. When I run my hands across the surface, I don't feel a difference but when I run my nails across, I hear a screeching sound and when I press my fingers up and down, its more grippy. I don't get this sound on the uncleaned surfance. Also, when the light above reflects, you can see tiny water marks. I tried rubbing it off really hard with just water and paper towel and it seems to work on some parts as in the screeching sound and the tiny water marks are gone but its a huge surface area, and very labour intensive.

Is there an easy fix to this? My quartz countertop is Ceaserstone, installed almost 2 years ago. My husband was here and he didn't notice anything and I'll keep it that way for now.

Also, what about the kid's table? Any way to fix that? I'm okay with painting if thats possible, or resanding to match the colour.
Images
  • photo_2020-03-25_02-00-13.jpg
  • photo_2020-03-25_02-00-19.jpg
  • photo_2020-03-25_02-00-26.jpg
  • photo_2020-03-25_01-59-50.jpg
  • photo_2020-03-25_01-59-59.jpg
  • photo_2020-03-25_02-00-05.jpg
13 replies
Jan 7, 2013
442 posts
197 upvotes
Oshawa, Ontario
Try a magic eraser too.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2009
1113 posts
632 upvotes
Brampton
Try liquid bar keepers friend
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
2359 posts
1378 upvotes
Toronto
...and simple soap and water kills Covid 19 - no need to nuke the place :)
[OP]
Jul 25, 2008
924 posts
388 upvotes
Toronto
Jon Lai wrote: Quartz should be non-porous, so there should not be any active reactions. The MDF table will depend on what and how it was coated.

Ammonium chloride is water soluble. Have you tried warm water instead of tap water?
How do I find out how the MDF table was coated? This is the exact table https://www.kidkraft.com/us_en/modern-t ... ghter.html.

Also, I found these instructions on painting a white MDF bookcase, would it be okay to apply the same method for repainting the tabletop. My kid's don't really care, but its really bothering me!
https://homeguides.sfgate.com/paint-ove ... 43814.html

I did try warm water a few times to rinse it off last night after noticing the watermarks. It didn't do any good. However, after dinner, I wiped the table down again with a damp cloth, it seems to have helped it. I might be too tired from work/kids to notice. Will try another wipe down again tomorrow.
Shaidin wrote: Try a magic eraser too.
I will try this second if the warm water rinse doesnt work.
kopokipi wrote: Try liquid bar keepers friend
I will try this next after the previous 2 suggestions failed!
torontotim wrote: ...and simple soap and water kills Covid 19 - no need to nuke the place :)
Haha... it wasn't for covid-19. Its moreso because we eat on this countertop for every meal, and my kids alway plays on it (4 year old son bringing all of his toys on here to keep them away from his younger sister). We only usually just wipe it down with a damp cloth after meals, no real disinfectant every applied since the 2 years it has been installed. I figured it might be getting quite nasty.
Dec 17, 2019
56 posts
13 upvotes
Montréal
wow that commercial cleaner made quite a job!

yeah try the suggestions and report back.
try dialing down the ocd too Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Get some fresh air outside, works great Smiling Face With Smiling Eyes
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
2359 posts
1378 upvotes
Toronto
It's hard to gauge the 'damage' on the quartz from the photos. I assume the dark area is caused by shadow and the bright light is the camera flash or overhead light.

I do see small 'rings' in each photo - like what a dried up drop of liquid might leave behind. Is that the damage you mean? If it was the cleaner doing this, it would be more uniform unless large drops of the liquid was left sitting in those spots.

They're similar to the etching we get on our marble counters, which generally speaking we don't mind. We chose marble knowing it would show it's age over time. It's honed, not polished so etching isn't as high contrast. We used Caesarstone for a small kitchen at the cottage (didn't mind investing in a lifetime product) and went with a honed/textured surface for similar reasons.

Didn't want the reflections of polished or high contrast of any spills or spots that might happen, tho we're not expecting anything.
May 9, 2019
69 posts
90 upvotes
GTA
Make sure you don't go crazy with the Magic Eraser, try spot cleaning first in an inconspicuous spot. Magic Erasers are basically very very very fine sand paper and can dull the finish of your quartz.
Some say they're sick of my crap.
Aug 2, 2006
140 posts
74 upvotes
Calgary
Try Vim, it seems get rid of any stains very well on our quartz
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2007
14203 posts
2269 upvotes
Avoid cleaners with acid. This would include any cleaner with lemon, ammonia, or bleach. Also, try to minimize contact between your quartz countertops and foods containing acid such as lemons, soda, tomatoes, etc.
https://thegraniteguy.us/granite-counte ... untertops/

Don't think that can be removed without the grinding/buffing by the people who sold you the quartz top.
May 16, 2017
933 posts
1010 upvotes
Jon Lai wrote: Quartz should be non-porous, so there should not be any active reactions. The MDF table will depend on what and how it was coated.

Ammonium chloride is water soluble. Have you tried warm water instead of tap water?
The active ingredient is not ammonium chloride it is Benzalkonium chlorides of two forms. Slowly soluble in water - acetone though is a different story.

Hint - don't use commercial disinfectants in the home. This stuff is also a lot more toxic than plain old ammonium chloride.