Cleaning Dryer Duct

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 18th, 2017 3:11 pm
[OP]
Apr 24, 2017
43 posts
15 upvotes

Cleaning Dryer Duct

Anyone know an easy way to do it yourself? My dryer is taking ages to dry clothes and shuts off. The duct is full of lint and has never been cleaned. Can you just get a leaf blower and blow it out from the inside? Should I try and shop vac it? Any suggestions would be great.
12 replies
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
1613 posts
447 upvotes
Mississauga
Yes, leaf blower. Take out the vent cover/louvers on the exterior and use a leaf blower from the interior
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2005
2291 posts
117 upvotes
I used this, http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/dunda ... p.html#srp

After I moved into a 15 year old home, I don't think it was ever cleaned.
Attached a drill to it, and brushed it all out, ideally you would do it from outside and inside, but I could only reach from inside.
worked great, found about 3 dead mice in there and vacuumed up the mess.
Last edited by blues45 on Jul 17th, 2017 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damage due to RFD Since April 2013: $3173.00
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
5560 posts
962 upvotes
Maple
clean lint at the dryer trap (every 2 weeks)
clean lint at the vent side of the side (every month)
clean w ith long handle brush for dryer from local hardware store (once a year)
remove vent cover/louvers to clean lint with vacuum (once a year)
Oct 2, 2013
795 posts
377 upvotes
Montreal
If you have flexible pipe, I would not recommend blowing air in there.
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
13108 posts
2963 upvotes
Toronto
Easiest solution is throw out the flex hose and replace with a new one. Why waste time cleaning when a replacement is fairly inexpensive.
Jan 19, 2008
739 posts
238 upvotes
Etobicoke
don't use flexible, only rigid. And clean the dryer lint trap each time, not ever 2 weeks as per teoconca.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2007
3171 posts
230 upvotes
Ottawa
OP: the answer depends on what your configuration is. How long a duct run are you talking about? Are there bends, etc? If your exterior vent has a critter screen on it, blowing it out from the inside won't do much unless you remove the screen first. I find that rigid pipe will withstand poking by a long pole (or electrical fishing tape) that loosens the lint enough that just the dryer's own force is enough to blow the stuff out.

Also agree with others who say to not use flex hose and to clean the dryer trap with each use. If you don't, the dryer's performance suffers and the decline in pressure in the duct can lead to more lint settling.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
7809 posts
1888 upvotes
Brampton
teoconca wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 4:02 pm
clean lint at the dryer trap (every 2 weeks)
clean lint at the vent side of the side (every month)
clean w ith long handle brush for dryer from local hardware store (once a year)
remove vent cover/louvers to clean lint with vacuum (once a year)
2 weeks?
Unless I'm tumble drying athletic wear I gotta clean it after every load.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
5046 posts
942 upvotes
Whitby
benjicash wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 3:21 pm
My dryer is taking ages to dry clothes and shuts off. The duct is full of lint and has never been cleaned.
Remove the vent duct from the machine and clean or replace, same for the vent cover and the (likely) piece of rigid duct attached to it about 6-8" long that goes through the wall. Don't stop there, clean the actual dryer of lint. Shop vac the duct in the dryer which will be stuffed with lint if the exterior duct was, the blower, lint trap connection and lint that somehow gets out of the dryers ducts....it will be everywhere.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2905 posts
788 upvotes
Paris
My dryer vent is about 20" of rigid then a turn to the dryer. I took the louvers off outside and fed in 6' shop vac hoses (3 of them) like a pipe driller with a brush on the end. Worked like a charm. I taped all the joints as i fed it in so nothing got lost.
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Mar 1, 2011
385 posts
80 upvotes
Stoney Creek
I used Lint check. http://lintcheck.com. These guys specialize in dryer vent cleaning and have equipment and techniques that the residential furnace duct cleaning guys say they can also do but nowhere near the same level.
They use a super high pressure rotating air powered head from the outside that blows it all backwards outside as it crawls its way up your vent. They replace the inside flexible pieces with rigid pieces. They also have transition pieces so you can go straight out of your dryer to rigid. They also have their licensed technicians open up your dryer and clean the inside as well. Many dryer fires actually start inside the dryer not always in the exhaust tubing. I was amazed to see how much stuff came out of my vent tubing and was also stuck matted down inside the dryer itself! My dryer run time was reduced by probably 50 percent or better. Saving me hydro, extra wear and tear on my dryer, and it is now much safer and less risk of a dryer fire.
[OP]
Apr 24, 2017
43 posts
15 upvotes
Ok so it's a solid metal duct. Is it ok to use a leaf blower from inside blowing it out after I remove the animal thing? Will that do a decent job?