• Aug 16th, 2009 8:13 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Apr 19, 2007
53 posts
east

Cleaning Mildew from Trex Decking

Hello, Has anybody had any success cleaning mildew(mold) off their trex decking? I have tried one composite cleaner and a 2/1 bleech mixture in small areas with very little improvement.

My deck looks like s*** everywhere the rain hits it. When I spent my thousands of dollars on this product nobody gave me information verble,or written about prevenative maintenance?

Thanks for any advice in advance!
8 replies
[OP]
Apr 19, 2007
53 posts
east
Thanks for the reply. I tried all their suggestions, none of them completely get rid of the mold. I just read in their 25 year warrenty that mold is not covered. So if you want a deck that looks like a spotted leppard trex is your product. I have spent as much time on maintenance on this trex as I would have with wood, at 3X's the price.
Nov 15, 2004
81 posts
Guelph
I talked to one of their reps at the homeshow a couple of years ago about this and he said to just clean it with a regular deck cleaner and scrub brush. I did and the spots came right off. Trex is not maintenance free but it's less work than restaining and it doesn't feel like plastic. I am happy with it.
Sep 2, 2008
1 posts
Winchester VA
Dear haybird:

I am sorry that you have a problem with a build up of mold. Periodic cleaning of your deck, even if it appears clean is important to prevent the build-up of pollen/debris that can cause mold. One to two times a year is recommended.

You may use conventional deck washes or cleaners that contain sodium hypochlorite and detergent. (Sodium hypochlorite is the active ingredient in bleach) Deck washes by Olympic and Expert Chemical contain sodium hypochlorite. Eco-Friendly cleaners such as Chomp-Pro Algae & Mold Stain Cleaner & Remover or Corte-Clean Composite Deck Cleaners also work well.

For Madeira, Woodland Brown & Cayenne please do not use full strength deck wash, mix deck wash 50:50 with water. Caution: Deck wash can lighten the color of your deck.

Chomp Pro products are proven to delay mildew regrowth. Trex recommends saturating the boards, as per manufacturers instructions, with this product after cleaning mold from your Trex Deck. NOTE: Chomp Pro barrier products should only be used in tandem with Chomp Pro Algae & Mold Stain Cleaner & Remover products.

Websites: www.expertchemicalinc.com / www.esiclean.com (Chomp Pro)/ www.corteclean.com

If I can be of further assistance please feel free to contact me at question@trex.com or 800-BUY-TREX.

Pat M
Aug 14, 2009
1 posts
Peterborough, ON
For those who are considering Trex as their next deck solution, low maintenance is highly questionable.
We spent thousands (materaial cost only) installing a Trex deck. The first year it was great, neither hot in the summer or cold in the winter on ones feet.
The next spring we had black spots all over the deck. We were advised this was mould, tried a number of so called deck cleaners recommended by the local supplier of Trex, other then spending a lot of money it accomplished nothing. Went on line and saw that Trex recommended a Behr product, this product worked great and didn't cost a lot of money( 6 gallons plus to clean deck) unfortunately 2 years later the product was no longer available.

For the past 2 + years we have tried many more cleaners, all recommended by various building supply companies, none have appear to do much good at cleaning this material. Each year the appearance of the deck just gets worse. My wife now hates the trex deck.

We had a cedar deck for 17 years and other than reappling a coat of stain to the decks surface every couple of years we experienced absolutely no problems with it.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
24879 posts
2466 upvotes
Ottawa
haybird and crickard, thank you very much for bringing this up. I am in the midst, with my Son, planning his deck. We were looking at using Trex on a deck that will have half sun and half shade all day long. It would have cost a lot (4 to 5 times as much) but were willing to spend the money but now, we probably will not.
You made read the "fine print" on the product and there are enough potential issues that we are concerned.
Again, thanks for the heads up. :)
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2007
2478 posts
54 upvotes
Ottawa
haybird wrote:
Aug 25th, 2008 1:30 pm
Hello, Has anybody had any success cleaning mildew(mold) off their trex decking? I have tried one composite cleaner and a 2/1 bleech mixture in small areas with very little improvement.

My deck looks like s*** everywhere the rain hits it. When I spent my thousands of dollars on this product nobody gave me information verble,or written about prevenative maintenance?

Thanks for any advice in advance!
http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stor ... Concrobium
"Sometimes I dig the dirty yet sweet oriental pong of this frag, but I wonder if it really makes sense to smell like I've hidden spice bags in all of my pockets?" ~basenotes.net
× < >