Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2006
1009 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto

Clearing drains

My bathroom sink is starting to get clogged because water is taking longer to go down the drain. It's probably from all the hair that's been washed down. Is there anything I can do or any product I can use to help clear it? I think there are things that I can just pour down the drain. I guess last resort would be to take it apart and clean out that S-trap thing.
22 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2005
1654 posts
144 upvotes
Toronto
Vinegar and baking soda, leave it for about 1/2 an hour, then lots of water...although I've never tried it myself it can't really hurt.
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2003
6818 posts
567 upvotes
put a mesh screen on the train to trap the hair before it goes down the drain, save yourself a bunch of trouble.

To clear the drain, use a snake.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2005
5897 posts
301 upvotes
GTA
First thing to do is to remove the PTrap from under the sink. If the clog is too far down then you might have to put an industrial strength drain cleaner liek the one you can get from HD. However b4 installing the cleaner I would try to take as much water out of the drain pipe as possible, so that when you do pour down the chemical, it would reach its target immediately.

sk
Deal Addict
May 11, 2004
1185 posts
29 upvotes
Toronto
Try a couple of easy things first: try cleaning out your drain with an old tooth-brush, and then use a plunger. You would be surprised what that old tooth-brush will pick up.
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2002
2040 posts
526 upvotes
'sauga
If you've got a pop-up drain in that sink, the hair is likely wrapped around the drain stem. Pull out the pop-up drain plug and you'll probably pull about a foot of hair with it.

If that doesn't fix it, you'll need to disassemble the trap, which is pretty easy. Just make sure you put a bowl underneath to catch all the water and gunk.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
17068 posts
1830 upvotes
Thornhill
We had a massive clog in our bathtub (piping was quite old, and it dried out due to unuse during a year-long bathroom renovation). Couldn't clean it out with the traditional vinegar, baking soda, toilet plunger, wet-vac, Was far down and it wasn't in the trap area.

Dad picked up a small jug of stuff called "Mule Kick" I believe - worked pretty fast. If you do choose this route, remember to open up the windows and turn on the bathroom fan. I'm sure there are similar brands out there as well.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
9645 posts
911 upvotes
Muskoka
My sink drain and shower drain get slow every six months or so, from hair build up, here's what I do for the sink...go under the sink, unscrew the drain plug from the pipe, then take it out from above. Usually this is the source of the problem, hair wound all around it. I also bought a cheap drain snake years ago that has paid for itself hundreds of times over by now. I run that down the drain as well, to make sure it's good and clear. Then I put drain back in and it's all good, drains fast again.

No need for harsh chemicals that pollute our water supply, or air burst devices like One Second Plumber that stess your plumbing system.
Nov 22, 2006
712 posts
14 upvotes
Boiling water works pretty good on hair/hair product clogs. Cheap and eco friendly. I have only used it on slow drains, not 100% clogged ones.
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2002
1119 posts
168 upvotes
Waterloo
How about Liquid Plumber or Drano?

Has anybody had any success with those products?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
6834 posts
7575 upvotes
Toronto
Ironballz wrote: How about Liquid Plumber or Drano?

Has anybody had any success with those products?
Liquid Plumber is essentially useless, in my experience, as is Drano brand's liquid equivalent. Drano crystals are a stop-gap solution that may open the drain up a little bit but not a lot.

Best solution is to just undo the P trap and ream out the top part of the drain. If you have pressure fittings it's really easy, I do it every 6-8 months now whenever I sense it getting slow. Don't forget to remove the stopper and clean it all off with a scrub brush too.
Si Tacuisses, Philosophus Mansisses
Nov 17, 2005
812 posts
10 upvotes
montreal
my girlfriends uncle is a plumber. When we first bought our house we had a bad clog. After clearing it with a motorized snake he told me to put a tablespoon of baking soda and a cup of vinegar down every drain in the house once a month and we would never have a problem again.

It's been more than 3 years and no problems! i religiously do this the 1st day of every month (it's even programmed into my palm pilot). I use a few gallons of vinegar every year but it's a hellova lot cheaper than a plumber!
Deal Addict
May 7, 2006
2771 posts
59 upvotes
Vancouver
brute33 wrote: my girlfriends uncle is a plumber. When we first bought our house we had a bad clog. After clearing it with a motorized snake he told me to put a tablespoon of baking soda and a cup of vinegar down every drain in the house once a month and we would never have a problem again.

It's been more than 3 years and no problems! i religiously do this the 1st day of every month (it's even programmed into my palm pilot). I use a few gallons of vinegar every year but it's a hellova lot cheaper than a plumber!
EXCELLENT TIP! THANKS :)
Vinegar and baking soda, amazing stuff
Programmed into my palm pilot... haha. You are awesome!
Nov 17, 2005
812 posts
10 upvotes
montreal
majesus wrote: EXCELLENT TIP! THANKS :)
Vinegar and baking soda, amazing stuff
Programmed into my palm pilot... haha. You are awesome!
one more thing to add. I do this at night before i go to bed so that the soda and vinegar can work all night before it gets rinsed down the drain.
Deal Addict
May 7, 2006
2771 posts
59 upvotes
Vancouver
brute33 wrote: one more thing to add. I do this at night before i go to bed so that the soda and vinegar can work all night before it gets rinsed down the drain.
Good idea. I'll be doing that when I get my new house.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2003
15213 posts
1671 upvotes
Markham
brute33 wrote: my girlfriends uncle is a plumber. When we first bought our house we had a bad clog. After clearing it with a motorized snake he told me to put a tablespoon of baking soda and a cup of vinegar down every drain in the house once a month and we would never have a problem again.

i take it that i mix the two before pouring it in?
ShadowVlican
May 23, 2004
700 posts
43 upvotes
hmm...probably put the baking soda in 1st, then add the vinegar. Otherwise, you'd it'd spill everywhere before you got to the drain...
Dec 5, 2005
211 posts
51 upvotes
Saskatoon
ShadowVlican wrote: i take it that i mix the two before pouring it in?
YES!!

Mix it together in a small cup first!

:twisted: :evil:
Nov 17, 2005
812 posts
10 upvotes
montreal
i pour a tablespoon of baking soda (dry) down the drain then pour a cup of vinegar afterwords. The 2 will react inside the drain. I leave it to bubble all night. 3 years now and no problems.