• Last Updated:
  • Dec 5th, 2014 7:49 pm
Tags:
None
Nov 4, 2006
746 posts
67 upvotes

Clearjel/Modified Starch?

Does anyone know where I can find Clearjel/Modified Starch in Toronto? My baking instructor recommended we use it for things like pies, tarts, etc as other thickeners do not work as well and can often produce runny juices/sauces.

Thanks!
11 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2005
3796 posts
534 upvotes
Markham
Asagiri wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2012 10:20 am
Does anyone know where I can find Clearjel/Modified Starch in Toronto? My baking instructor recommended we use it for things like pies, tarts, etc as other thickeners do not work as well and can often produce runny juices/sauces.

Thanks!

http://www.goldaskitchen.com/merchant.i ... 587&step=4
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2005
3366 posts
821 upvotes
Ottawa
Asagiri wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2012 10:20 am

Thanks!

You can get clearjel at almost any asian market. One of the main staples next to MSG :) . Clearjel is amazing, doesn't turn to that jelly consistancy like corn starch and maintains the fluidity of your sauces, fillings, etc.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2005
3796 posts
534 upvotes
Markham
shadow_cruiser wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2012 1:50 pm
You can get clearjel at almost any asian market. One of the main staples next to MSG :) . Clearjel is amazing, doesn't turn to that jelly consistancy like corn starch and maintains the fluidity of your sauces, fillings, etc.

Really?..never looked b4.

Is it called Clearjel.

I find something has changed on corn starch as it doesn't seem to have the same thickening power anymore...they must be adding something other than startch IMO.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
5373 posts
775 upvotes
Does anyone know if ClearJel would work to stabilize whipped cream?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
5913 posts
1153 upvotes
Scarborough
bonterra wrote:
Jan 25th, 2012 12:23 am
Does anyone know if ClearJel would work to stabilize whipped cream?

It appears it can be...
My other weapon is a teeny, tiny bit of Instant ClearJel (say, 1/2 teaspoon to a cup of heavy cream), combined with a tablespoon of superfine granulated sugar. Don't add it until the cream has reached soft peak stage. Once it's in, the cream will thicken noticeably; let the beaters on the mixer go around 4 or 5 times after you've added it and then cease and desist.

Either of these will give you a whipped cream that's firm enough to use as a filling in a cake, or tat can be piped and hold its shape
http://community.kingarthurflour.com/co ... pped-cream

Dr. Oetker Whip It works pretty good as well.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
[OP]
Nov 4, 2006
746 posts
67 upvotes
shadow_cruiser wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2012 1:50 pm
I tried looking for it in the Asian grocery stores downtown and the ones at Pacific Mall/Market Village. No dice, all I could find was regular cornstarch, tapioca starch, potato starch, etc.

Can you list a specific store that sells it, and maybe include a pic of the package? Thanks!
Dec 30, 1969
1 posts
Toronto
If you are looking for Clear Jel in Canada, i want to warn you not to buy it from Golda's Kitchen. The "National Search" currently sold on amazon.ca (as of 2014) is also Golda's, you don't want to buy that either.

Do a google search on : golda kitchen customer service worst , and you will see why you do not want to buy anything from them. Just horrendous tales of people who are still shell-shocked by the nasty customer service.

Others warned me not to buy from Golda's but I ignored them but then it was my turn to get a blast of pure viciousness from their customer service, after 7 years of spending thousands of dollars with them.

Look elsewhere for your Clear Jel, buy from across the border if you have to. You do not want to go near these people.

(Don't trust the Yelp reviews, Yelp is deliberately burying all the bad reviews that Golda's actually has.)
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17602 posts
732 upvotes
Brampton
RandalOulton wrote:
Dec 4th, 2014 8:59 pm
If you are looking for Clear Jel in Canada, i want to warn you not to buy it from Golda's Kitchen. The "National Search" currently sold on amazon.ca (as of 2014) is also Golda's, you don't want to buy that either.

Do a google search on : golda kitchen customer service worst , and you will see why you do not want to buy anything from them. Just horrendous tales of people who are still shell-shocked by the nasty customer service.

Others warned me not to buy from Golda's but I ignored them but then it was my turn to get a blast of pure viciousness from their customer service, after 7 years of spending thousands of dollars with them.

Look elsewhere for your Clear Jel, buy from across the border if you have to. You do not want to go near these people.

(Don't trust the Yelp reviews, Yelp is deliberately burying all the bad reviews that Golda's actually has.)

I shop at the Golda's on Argentia Road all the time, what's the problem?? I love that shop usually. Service sucks but the staff isn't very educated, you have to go there knowing what you want
come troll our unofficial chatroom at #redflagdeals on EFnet
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17602 posts
732 upvotes
Brampton
honestly though, i had a bad experience at Williams Food Equipment or whatever and other people on the forums love them.. and I will go out of my way to boycott and call them ***** heads any chance I get, so maybe there's something to that post
come troll our unofficial chatroom at #redflagdeals on EFnet
× < >