• Last Updated:
  • Dec 5th, 2009 9:22 am
Tags:
None
Dec 1, 2008
395 posts
6 upvotes

Clearly Contacts COD scam

So, Clearly Contacts were advertising a pair of free glasses if you used a promo code for the city of Calgary...

I went to their site and filled out my information and continued on. However, the promo code did not work. No problem, I just won't confirm the purchase and close the browser... Well, little did I know that by clicking the "Continue" button on their page that takes you to their "confirmation page" is the actual confirmation, because by clicking on "continue" it takes you to a page that says something like "Your order has been shipped, and you can pay later. As Clearly Contacts is the only place that lets you buy now and pay later."

Unfortunately, I did not see this page at the time as I closed my browser thinking I did not actually order the glasses since I didn't click on your typical "confirm payment button" that most online stores have.

So now I have this pair of glasses in my house that I particularly didn't want due to their underhanded business practices.... They say have to pay in 15 days or suffer 18% interest.

Any ideas on what I should do? Swallow the shipping fees and send them back?

Anyone else ever used these people and have this problem? I've looked through the pages leading up to the point where I supposedly confirmed my order and there was no warning that I was actually making a complete purchase by clicking on "Continue"...

This tactic has really pissed me off...
31 replies
[OP]
Dec 1, 2008
395 posts
6 upvotes
Jon Lai wrote:
Feb 6th, 2009 9:04 pm
So why'd you accept the order? Return to sender...
Good point....

It was Fedex, they just left it on my doorstep... I'll return it to them I guess...

Thanks...
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2008
6858 posts
216 upvotes
Ontario
Yes, that is one of the beefs people have with their website.
Pay for the glasses here if you like them. $38 plus S&H is still pretty cheap.

OR
When Returning Items: We know it's sometimes necessary to exchange or return an item so we make it easy. Simply follow these steps:

1. Call or email our Customer Care Department at 1-866-414-2326 or customerservice@clearlycontacts.ca.
2. Let us know the reason for your return and what you would like us to do. Do you want us to exchange the item, or issue a refund or other (please explain)?
3. Secure your merchandise in the original packaging, if available, or any sturdy box, and enclose your note detailing the reason for the return. Please DO NOT return contact lens boxes in an envelope.
4. Please include your name, address, and phone number (specify day or evening) where we can reach you in case we have questions. Customers are responsible for the return postage unless it was our error.
5. Return the item by regular post to the address below. That's it! Please allow 2-3 weeks for your store credit or refund to be issued.
6. Mail all contact lens returns to:

Clearly Contacts
320 - 2985 Virtual Way
Vancouver, BC, V5M 4X7
If you call them and explain your situation, maybe they will send you a free postage slip (I got one when they sent my glasses with the wrong Rx). If enough people complain, they won't make it so easy on their website to confirm an order.

Keep an eye out on the next freebie. It is usually the first 500 pairs. Both times, this and the Nov promo, it has been about a 4 hour window by the time it's posted here to get in on it.
Good luck
May 3, 2008
165 posts
3 upvotes
montreal
Same thing happened to me, I didn't know they had a "buy now, pay later" policy so I was kinda surprised the day I received a pair of glasses at my doorstep( I thought the order was cancelled because I did not pay).

I wrote them an email telling them I was returning the glasses and here's what they answered
Thank you for your recent email to Clearly Contacts Inc.

As long as the glasses are sent back in the same condition they were sent to you in, you are able to return them.

Using the shipping label attached, please have your glasses sent back to
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2008
1745 posts
675 upvotes
the same thing happened to me. i called and complained and the sales lady gave it to me for free =D but this was back in november. for the other free promo
"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad." :-0
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2006
3350 posts
65 upvotes
I love them! they're awesome, very quick. Got it the contacts the next day.
2010 Rig: i7 930 @ 2.8Ghz, 6GB DDR3 G.Skill 1600, 256GB SSD, 1TB WB Black, R280C, Gigabyte EX58-UD3R, Thermaltake S-Spin H/S, Corsair HX650W, CM Scout Case, 2x LG Flatron W2343V,Win7 Ultimate 64bit
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2006
3350 posts
65 upvotes
This is definitely not a scam, you attempted to place a order and they shipped you a product and expect you to pay for it if you're going to keep it. They don't collect on shipping the courier does, so there is no scam here.
2010 Rig: i7 930 @ 2.8Ghz, 6GB DDR3 G.Skill 1600, 256GB SSD, 1TB WB Black, R280C, Gigabyte EX58-UD3R, Thermaltake S-Spin H/S, Corsair HX650W, CM Scout Case, 2x LG Flatron W2343V,Win7 Ultimate 64bit
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2007
2741 posts
38 upvotes
toronto
I love them! they're awesome, very quick. Got it the contacts the next day.
what information do they need or you need to order your contacts?

I know my power,PD, etc for eyeglasses, but is it different with contacts?
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2005
4272 posts
64 upvotes
I agree, the purchase system is a little wierd.

However, when my GF accidentally bought contacts she didn't mean to, she just called the phone number listed and 2 minutes later the order was cancelled. Probably took less time than it took to make a thread about it.

On the plus side, the operator she talked to advised her to search the internet for the cheapest price from any obscure website, and we'll match it. She found some ridiculous sale from a US site and they matched it (after exchange rate) with no hassle whatsoever. 2 days later, contacts at the door. Pretty great system.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2006
3350 posts
65 upvotes
DLFB wrote:
Feb 7th, 2009 12:08 am

I dunno really i dun wear contacts but You'll need to get the prescription information that your doctor gave you i think just the powers and diameter or stuff select which contacts you want and bingo you're done. They offer over night shipping, so we got them in 24-48 hours later courier drops off the contacts
Dec 12, 2007
168 posts
So this company is practically shipping their products to anonymous people without having them pay first? What prevents people playing a prank on them and completing thousands of orders shipping all over Canada?

Is it only me or does everyone thinks that this company will soon go down faster than a cheerleader in prom night?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2007
5920 posts
50 upvotes
GT-eh
tabrisfreewill wrote:
Feb 7th, 2009 3:20 pm
So this company is practically shipping their products to anonymous people without having them pay first? What prevents people playing a prank on them and completing thousands of orders shipping all over Canada?

Is it only me or does everyone thinks that this company will soon go down faster than a cheerleader in prom night?
That's what I thought too... :razz: :razz: :razz:
Nov 18, 2006
271 posts
3 upvotes
do u honestly think the company never thought of that? give me a break
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10455 posts
1960 upvotes
DLFB wrote:
Feb 7th, 2009 12:08 am

You should be purchasing contacts from them only as a refill. If you wear contacts, the information needed to order will be on the box. Contacts are usually at a lower power than glasses because the lens is directly on your eye. I know that I see really well with contacts so they drop my strength even more than usual so I get my doctor to write a contact prescription along with an eye glass prescription.
× < >