• Last Updated:
  • Mar 21st, 2018 1:36 pm
Tags:
Jan 18, 2017
824 posts
421 upvotes

"Client Bridge" DD-WRT

Hello,

I have an ER-X + Unifi AC AP on the top floor of a 2500sqft house. Ideally, I'd run Ethernet down to the basement and plop another AP there. However, there's no easy way to run the cable so I'm looking at alternatives.

There are a few desktops in the basement I want to connect to the network (to share files, printer, etc). I was thinking of wiring them up to a switch; then wiring the switch to a DD-WRT-capable router like the TP-Link WR841n in "Client Bridge" mode. Mount the WR841n on the ceiling as close to the AP as possible.

I understand it will be slow; all those desktops sharing a single 2x2 wireless-n connection. But I don't need much speed; they'll only be used for browsing/email. It seems to be cheaper than getting wireless adaptors for each machine, and a single wireless connection seems more reliable than a bunch of them.

Should I also consider getting a dual band router for this purpose; since 5ghz is less crowded? Starts getting expensive looking for a dual band 3x3 router that supports DD-WRT...

I am also considering Powerline adapters but I keep reading about interference and noise.

Thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks,
1 reply
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2010
1879 posts
1407 upvotes
Barrie ON
KevCnew wrote: I have an ER-X + Unifi AC AP on the top floor of a 2500sqft house.
I also have an ER-X connected to my previous Asus RT-N66U which is being used as an AP. This equipment is also on the 2nd floor, back corner, of a 2700' house. I have no problem connecting my phone or tablet from the opposite corner of the basement. From what I understand the Unifi AP should perform even better than my Asus. Of course I don't perform heavy downloads on these devices, but they work well for web browsing.

So I'm curious if you are actually having problems, or do you just anticipate a problem?
KevCnew wrote: Ideally, I'd run Ethernet down to the basement and plop another AP there. However, there's no easy way to run the cable so I'm looking at alternatives.

There are a few desktops in the basement I want to connect to the network (to share files, printer, etc). I was thinking of wiring them up to a switch; then wiring the switch to a DD-WRT-capable router like the TP-Link WR841n in "Client Bridge" mode. Mount the WR841n on the ceiling as close to the AP as possible.
As you mentioned the ideal solution would be getting a cable into the basement and connecting to a switch or an AP. Depending on if your basement is finished or not, there are several tricks of the trade for getting a cable to basement. Possibly down via a cold air return, or alongside the vent stack in the attic.

Perhaps your home's phone wiring was done with CAT5 cable and you could use 2 of the spare pairs. If you have a Bell Fibe TV receiver in the basement you can plug your devices into the Ethernet jack on the back of the receiver.

Barring any of these solutions, then your idea makes sense. I suppose you could walk around your basement with an Android device running Wi-Fi Analyzer (or similar app) to locate the strongest signal from the 2nd floor, and try to locate your bridged router at that point.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)