Computers & Electronics

Clone an Active Windows Partition to Another Disc Without Blowing Away Other Partitions on the Destination Disc

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 10th, 2016 7:18 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2005
4789 posts
734 upvotes
Montreal

Clone an Active Windows Partition to Another Disc Without Blowing Away Other Partitions on the Destination Disc

I hope this isn't too confusing.

I run Windows 10 on an SSD and store my data on a mechanical drive. The mechanical drive used to be my system drive until I installed the SSD. A copy of the old OS partition still exists on the mechanical drive but is ignored. I do an image backup every week of my complete system excluding the ignored os partition on the mechanical drive.

Something weird happened to my PC a couple of days ago that caused blue screens about every 2 hours so I just restored my disk image of a backup and everything is fine again. The way I did it was to boot to Windows on my mechanical drive and restore the backup to my SSD.

What I would now like to do is to backup the up-to-date OS from my SSD to the ignored system partition on the mechanical drive so that, if I have to do it again, the OS on my mechanical drive will be more up-to-date than it is right now. When I booted to the mechanical drive the OS also suffered from a blue screen for some reason so I think it needs to be refreshed.

Until Windows 10, I used Acronis True Image and I'm pretty sure that I was able to restore a partition to another partition. I currently use Macrium Refresh and Veeam Backup and I can't find where I can do anything more than restore a disk that will 100% replace the destination. However, if I do that, it will blow away my data partition that still resides on the mechanical drive. I could always copy my data partition to another disk and then copy it back later but that will cause issues since many programs point to that partition to store their data. For example, Dropbox will choke as will Genie Timeline.

So my question is whether there a is way to directly clone an active partition to another partition.

Basically, I would like to do this:

C: ---------->X: (currently ignored system partition) without blowing away my E: Partition on the same drive as X.
Phils
11 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
2793 posts
329 upvotes
Toronto
Use robocopy from C: to X: and hope for the best. And then pull your SSD, make the mech drive primary and try to boot off it.
May 29, 2008
719 posts
240 upvotes
Hamilton
I don't really see the issue here. You said that until WIndows 10, you used Acronis True Image and that was able to do it. Why not just use it again for what you are trying to do now?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2005
4789 posts
734 upvotes
Montreal
My version of True Image isn't compatible with Windows 10.

The robocopy suggestion seems to me to be too simple and likely to fail.

What I can do is back up my active partition and then restore it to the other drive. I'm just trying to save a step.
Phils
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2006
3153 posts
207 upvotes
you tried this? Clonezilla?
“There are some things money can’t buy, and for everything else there’s MasterCard. Well, get out your checkbooks ladies and gentlemen, because it seems like the entire liberal cabinet can be bought. TRUDEAU: I CAN’T BE BOUGHT...LMAO. Because its 2017
Deal Guru
Mar 25, 2003
13397 posts
2668 upvotes
Markham
Use Macrium Reflect http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx
clone to file
then clone file to your destination partition
proceed with caution, make sure you select the correct partition
96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Jan 22, 2015
516 posts
139 upvotes
N/A
You can't upgrade your True Image? The latest is supposed to be compatible with W10.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2005
4789 posts
734 upvotes
Montreal
Keigotw wrote:
Dec 9th, 2016 3:55 pm
Use Macrium Reflect http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx
clone to file
then clone file to your destination partition
proceed with caution, make sure you select the correct partition
I use Macrium Reflect. Backing up is easy but when I did the restore yesterday, I didn't see where to pick the partition where I wanted to do the restore. I ended up having to restore the entire SSD which wasn't a problem for that but would have been had I chosen to add it to the drive with my Data partition.
Phils
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2005
4789 posts
734 upvotes
Montreal
ElDealioSupremo wrote:
Dec 9th, 2016 4:44 pm
You can't upgrade your True Image? The latest is supposed to be compatible with W10.
Not for free but now that I think about it, my SSD may entitle me to a free copy from ADATA.
Phils
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2654 posts
1442 upvotes
Richmond
Phils wrote:
Dec 9th, 2016 7:07 pm
I use Macrium Reflect. Backing up is easy but when I did the restore yesterday, I didn't see where to pick the partition where I wanted to do the restore. I ended up having to restore the entire SSD which wasn't a problem for that but would have been had I chosen to add it to the drive with my Data partition.
The function is obscure in the Macrium Reflect UI, but it's there in a dropdown list under the destination drive.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2005
4789 posts
734 upvotes
Montreal
Rescue Kit is probably very good as I have also used other paragon products int he past. However, the website says that it now supports windows 8.1 as a new feature. I would prefer that it said windows 10 even though I'm sure it probably supports it anyway.
Phils