• Last Updated:
  • Jun 15th, 2019 3:49 am
[OP]
Dec 17, 2009
301 posts
293 upvotes
vancouver

Clone a Samsung NVME SSD

I am using an usb enclosure to clone my new Samsung NVME SSD. After the cloning is done, can I reboot my Lenovo laptop from the USB enclosure? Or I have to remove the old one and put the new one in my machine? My laptop only has one slot for the NVME SSD.
Just want to make sure the cloning is successfully before physically exchange the two SSDs.
27 replies
[OP]
Dec 17, 2009
301 posts
293 upvotes
vancouver
konsensei wrote:
Jun 5th, 2019 8:18 am
YES
Thanks.
But how can I tell my laptop to reboot from my usb
Oct 14, 2009
591 posts
159 upvotes
Windsor, Ont.
tofubb wrote:
Jun 5th, 2019 6:02 pm
Thanks.
But how can I tell my laptop to reboot from my usb
There should be a boot priority option when you first turn on your laptop. There should be a brief message saying something like 'Press F8 to select boot order, press DEL to enter setup'. I think it's usually F8 or F12.

Or else you should be able to hit DEL to enter the BIOS options and there should be some settings there for your boot order.
[OP]
Dec 17, 2009
301 posts
293 upvotes
vancouver
ugly wrote:
Jun 5th, 2019 8:10 pm
There should be a boot priority option when you first turn on your laptop. There should be a brief message saying something like 'Press F8 to select boot order, press DEL to enter setup'. I think it's usually F8 or F12.

Or else you should be able to hit DEL to enter the BIOS options and there should be some settings there for your boot order.
Thanks.
I try to use the Samsung Migican program to clone the hard drive. However Samsung program doesn’t recognize the Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVME M.2 SSD and doesn’t support the drive.
I called Samsung support, he said it is because I am using a third party enclosure. Is it really truth?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
9760 posts
1214 upvotes
Toronto
tofubb wrote:
Jun 5th, 2019 10:53 pm
Thanks.
I try to use the Samsung Migican program to clone the hard drive. However Samsung program doesn’t recognize the Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVME M.2 SSD and doesn’t support the drive.
I called Samsung support, he said it is because I am using a third party enclosure. Is it really truth?
Probably is true.

I almost want to suggest to stop what you are doing and have someone that knows what they are doing to do the job...
[OP]
Dec 17, 2009
301 posts
293 upvotes
vancouver
XtremeModder wrote:
Jun 5th, 2019 11:56 pm
Probably is true.

I almost want to suggest to stop what you are doing and have someone that knows what they are doing to do the job...
The tech support guy suggested me to use a third party program.
Local computer store charge $80 for cloning a drive, that is why I want to try it out myself
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6332 posts
4836 upvotes
North York
tofubb wrote:
Jun 6th, 2019 12:22 am
The tech support guy suggested me to use a third party program.
Local computer store charge $80 for cloning a drive, that is why I want to try it out myself
try Macrium free or something similar.
[OP]
Dec 17, 2009
301 posts
293 upvotes
vancouver
konsensei wrote:
Jun 6th, 2019 7:45 am
try Macrium free or something similar.
Thanks. I did. I changed the start-up order under BIOS and had my system booted from the cloned drive, seem it worked. But how can I really tell that my system is boot from usb drive or not.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2010
1551 posts
698 upvotes
GTA
tofubb wrote:
Jun 7th, 2019 12:23 am
Thanks. I did. I changed the start-up order under BIOS and had my system booted from the cloned drive, seem it worked. But how can I really tell that my system is boot from usb drive or not.
You're going to have to disassemble the computer regardless to install the new NVMe drive correct? So might as well strip it down, put in the new cloned NVMe drive and make sure everything is working before you put everything back together. This way you know it works and you can reassemble the machine and that's it.

Any cloning job like that, that requires a laptop teardown I tear it down, remove the battery or if its interal - disconnect it, stay grounded and test to make sure everything works before putting it back together.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6332 posts
4836 upvotes
North York
tofubb wrote:
Jun 7th, 2019 12:23 am
just create a text file on desktop.
then boot with usb plugged, unplugged
[OP]
Dec 17, 2009
301 posts
293 upvotes
vancouver
heyyahblah wrote:
Jun 7th, 2019 2:30 am
You're going to have to disassemble the computer regardless to install the new NVMe drive correct? So might as well strip it down, put in the new cloned NVMe drive and make sure everything is working before you put everything back together. This way you know it works and you can reassemble the machine and that's it.

Any cloning job like that, that requires a laptop teardown I tear it down, remove the battery or if its interal - disconnect it, stay grounded and test to make sure everything works before putting it back together.
Thanks. Good idea
[OP]
Dec 17, 2009
301 posts
293 upvotes
vancouver
konsensei wrote:
Jun 7th, 2019 8:38 am
Thanks, this is my project for the weekend
[OP]
Dec 17, 2009
301 posts
293 upvotes
vancouver
konsensei wrote:
Jun 7th, 2019 8:38 am
When I try to boot up with the cloned drive, I got the blue screen error. The error code is inaccessible boot drive. :(