• Last Updated:
  • Sep 25th, 2019 3:33 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2009
2615 posts
1249 upvotes

CLOSED (permanently) - Best Buy North York Empress Location

Best Buy Empress location (North York) closed permanently. Also, as some of you know, Best Buy no longer gives additional 10% in price difference, if you find an item at a lower price at competitor. They just price match, without the 10% difference. It is unfortunate.

Most of my purchases from BB were done via the PM + 10% difference. Got some great deals at the Empress location. Given all these recent changes at BB, I don't know how much business I will give them. If I didn't know any better, I'd say they are restructuring. Ah well. A sign of things to come?
Corvus oculum corvi non eruit.
42 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
8270 posts
1217 upvotes
Really not surprised. I was in BestBuy on Sunday and there were more employees than customers. The pricing on most items were lousy and easily beaten elsewhere. I've often wondered how this place stayed open? Even Arby's at one time was busier...
Help an animal charity or sanctuary out today. Become a volunteer, advocate, foster a pet, or donate. They need you as much as you need them!
Aug 5, 2005
421 posts
227 upvotes
I can imagine the rent there is expensive probably why there closing.
If they thumb you down I will up it just because
Deal Guru
Oct 22, 2009
11281 posts
2411 upvotes
Toronto
Wow...what a disappointment. I always used to get deals with PMing the 10% price difference like OP at the Empress Walk Best Buy location as it was the only store in that area and right by the Subway. This is very sad news to me. :(
~~~~~~~~~~> Get...THAT DEAL...Over Here!!!
Aug 5, 2005
421 posts
227 upvotes
I would imagine many more of their stores closing. Online shopping is taking over fewer hassles and easier to run. Amazon and companies like them are probably why. Last time I actually when into a Best Buy store was probably 4 years ago
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2008
1139 posts
2141 upvotes
Markham
Without the 10% difference, I'm not sure why anyone would go through the hassle of price matching at Best Buy, when they can just buy direct from their competitor.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2002
1637 posts
392 upvotes
Toronto
After visiting Tokyo, where electronic stores are 8 floors are more and packed at all hours, walking into a Best Buy feels like a convenience store.
Celebrating 17+ years on RFD!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 6, 2004
6488 posts
356 upvotes
GT'eh
This location was always a bit odd to me, it had no on site parking it was a pain to lug a Tv or major appliance out to your car if you didn't get street parking, I scored some deals there, some staff was helpful and others were clueless at times. Also with the dufferin location, BB express @ Yorkdale & Hillcrest, all less than 15 mins away there wasn't much need for so many BB's so close together. Wish all the staff the best
Ne0's Bio:
➡Retired G@mer & t3<h [0nn0!ss3ur ??? Spitting t3<hy lingo since the early 90's ➡Member of Crazy Group Buys ??? ➡ Feedback: eBay|1000+ ??? rFD | 300+
Apr 10, 2018
53 posts
4 upvotes
If one store closes, more will follow. Pretty cut and dry. Besides, Best Buy has been slowly but quietly closing outlets for some years now.

I sure hope this isn't a trend of things to come. I mean, what happens if the only computer I have dies, and I need a new one, and there is not a single electronics outlet in St. John's to buy a new computer? Not everyone has the luxury of a tablet or SmartPhone, you know.

One other question: If a computer was in the shop being repaired in a store that had closed down, what happens to the computer? Does the owner never get his or her computer back?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2009
2615 posts
1249 upvotes
Dave510 wrote: Without the 10% difference, I'm not sure why anyone would go through the hassle of price matching at Best Buy, when they can just buy direct from their competitor.
Agreed. That was the main reason that I used BB, for. Given the disparity in prices, that 10% additional difference, made a huge difference, especially for big items. I guess if enough people did it, it eroded their profit margins, somewhat. Without the PM+10% off, I'm likely to go directly to the competitor, as well. Good times, while it lasted.
Corvus oculum corvi non eruit.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
5884 posts
866 upvotes
Scarborough
I buy all my laptops at bestbuy. Sometimes used to get decent prices for laptops for personal use.
Wonder where to go buy if they all shutdown
Dec 18, 2017
592 posts
253 upvotes
London, On
JonS51963 wrote:

One other question: If a computer was in the shop being repaired in a store that had closed down, what happens to the computer? Does the owner never get his or her computer back?
They would just move it to another location nearby.
Aug 5, 2005
421 posts
227 upvotes
apnayloags wrote: I buy all my laptops at bestbuy. Sometimes used to get decent prices for laptops for personal use.
Wonder where to go buy if they all shutdown
best buy online
Jun 6, 2013
353 posts
244 upvotes
Toronto, ON
This store was pretty useless anyways. Basically never had stock on anything that people would actually buy.