Computers & Electronics

Closing accounts, what do they know about you?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 1st, 2014 12:15 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Dec 15, 2007
6257 posts
185 upvotes
Edmonton

Closing accounts, what do they know about you?

How much of that information is encrypted or stored? Like if you change a secondary email, would they keep the "old" one as well? In the case of estores, would removing the bank information be sufficient?
8 replies
Jul 13, 2014
165 posts
17 upvotes
Penticton, BC
It depends entirely on what kind of account, what you used it for, and what information you put through it. Are you asking about RedFlagDeals?

In the recent Target hack it came out that a LOT of the information that was stored and stolen was information Target was legally required NOT to keep. But they did anyway.

If you remove information from an account and then walk away,that doesn't remove it from their backups.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2005
3354 posts
303 upvotes
Calgary
They are legally required to remove your info within a certain time period (including from the backups). That being said, I'd say most do not comply with this the way they are supposed to.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2013
2896 posts
214 upvotes
TotallyKiller wrote: They are legally required to remove your info within a certain time period (including from the backups). That being said, I'd say most do not comply with this the way they are supposed to.
You can force them to, but it requires threatening them with going to the Privacy Commissioner of Canada. I can almost guarantee they keep all your info. You need to push them to remove it, but of you do, they will.

Bank of Montreal was particularity belligerent, they were the only ones where I actually had to go to the Privacy Commission of Canada directly, they are such an awful bank. They flat out refused, it's like they didn't care what the law said. Of course they complied when they were forced to, and sent a letter confirming. Such an awful company, I was shocked at how they treated consumer privacy.

Everyone else complied fairly quickly without me needing to get the Privacy Commission to force their hands. Usually just mentioning it is enough.

https://www.priv.gc.ca/index_e.asp

I highly encourage more people to take their privacy more seriously. When you go through these companies, you learn how much they don't follow the law unless you call them out on it. It's pretty disturbing.
“My biggest problem with modernity may lie in the growing separation of the ethical and the legal.”
-Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2002
1958 posts
84 upvotes
Maximize wrote: You can force them to, but it requires threatening them with going to the Privacy Commissioner of Canada. I can almost guarantee they keep all your info. You need to push them to remove it, but of you do, they will.
I guess you'll have to take their word for it. There's no way to verify that. With backup and storage technology these days, it'll be very difficult, if not impossible, to truly remove all traces of your information.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2013
2896 posts
214 upvotes
siriuskao wrote: I guess you'll have to take their word for it. There's no way to verify that. With backup and storage technology these days, it'll be very difficult, if not impossible, to truly remove all traces of your information.
Yeah. You'd think if that were the case then they wouldn't be so resistant to the request in the first place, but they usually are (especially BMO, wow). The letter of confirmation helps to, I request that (send in writing a confirmation that all information about me has been purged).

On top that, a little trick I do is call a random sales line, and innocently ask about my data/accounts in their system. This is how I caught a few of them. Also equifax is a good source to see who is still reporting your info to them as well, that also offers another form of verification.

Another thing is I have my SIN removed. 9/10 times it isn't needed.
“My biggest problem with modernity may lie in the growing separation of the ethical and the legal.”
-Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Deal Fanatic
Dec 15, 2007
6257 posts
185 upvotes
Edmonton
Maximize wrote: Yeah. You'd think if that were the case then they wouldn't be so resistant to the request in the first place, but they usually are (especially BMO, wow). The letter of confirmation helps to, I request that (send in writing a confirmation that all information about me has been purged).

On top that, a little trick I do is call a random sales line, and innocently ask about my data/accounts in their system. This is how I caught a few of them. Also equifax is a good source to see who is still reporting your info to them as well, that also offers another form of verification.

Another thing is I have my SIN removed. 9/10 times it isn't needed.
Can you please elaborate on last two points? Why would you give out SIN in first place? Even credit card signup don't need?
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2013
2896 posts
214 upvotes
napoleon1769 wrote: Can you please elaborate on last two points? Why would you give out SIN in first place? Even credit card signup don't need?
It was weird, I'm not quite sure. Equifax had my SIN, which they shouldn't have. and following up it turned out BMO was reporting it to them (even though I had no products with BMO for about 10 years). This kind of investigative work turns up some weird stuff, I recommend everyone do it.

No one needs you sin number unless it's for Federal information. So for example, when you get a credit card, or a loan, or a savings account, you don't have to give your SIN (even though they always ask for it, it's not required). However, if you are opening a registered account (RRSP, RFSA, etc. then yes, SIN needed).
-Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2005
3167 posts
1209 upvotes
Montreal
fyi, Winners *requires* for you to hand over your driver's license or health card in order to do process a refund without a bill.

Very bad policy there.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)