Tags:
None
[OP]
Jun 13, 2015
56 posts
5 upvotes
Kingston, ON

Clothes for an almost 40 yr old

So I've been single for just over 2 years and haven't bought myself any new clothes and need to desperately update my wardrobe. I've checked out the local mall here but didn't see anything that caught my eye at bluenotes, American eagle, h&m etc.

Is there any good websites to order from or any stores that I haven't been to? I'm not looking to spend a fortune but it would be nice to have a few new pairs of jeans and something other than wearing my under armour sweaters all the time.

Thanks,
33 replies
Jun 4, 2013
95 posts
67 upvotes
Vancouver
Jeans wait till The Bay have Levis on sale at 40%. You can try Uniqlo for sweaters they seem pretty decent for the price you pay and they are really simple.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
18922 posts
2226 upvotes
Niagara Falls
If you're heading to Toronto anytime soon check out Uniqlo. You can order online but I like to try clothing on first.
May 13, 2015
394 posts
416 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
video on 2 pairs of jeans you should get:

lucky brand is a good store... having a 50% off sale right now.

google: "henley shirt" and get one that fits you well.

pack of new boxer briefs.

nice shoes/boots

that's about all you need. nice jacket helps, but those are expensive.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2009
4192 posts
6426 upvotes
Ontario
Try Zara stores in larger cities-they have men's sections as do Le Chateau stores. Hudson's Bay has so many brands and sales racks-worth time spent to go over different styles and trends.

Also check out larger Value Village stores as well as Talize stores (and maybe any local Salvation Army stores). I keep noticing some fabulous men's pullover, half-zip and cardigan sweaters but you have to keep checking weekly for new things (preferable before the Senior's Day on Tuesdays at Value Village) for new items. Ditto men's winter accessories, and pants. Some quality items from various decades and lands are on the hangers.
2019-roll out the gold carpet! Wins to date: a t-shirt, too many Spotify playlists (not claimed), $25 Indigo gc, $5 Starbucks e-gc
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
5463 posts
1127 upvotes
Richmond Hill
winners/marshals
Jul 20, 2017
47 posts
26 upvotes
An important thing to consider here is price.
Telling by your current stores, Uniqlo is really good. They have a wide selection and find their clothes look the best for the price point.
As well, Uniqlo recently came to Canada not to long ago and now has a Canada website.

The bay is really good, their prices range a lot because of the amount of brands, but watch out for sales (their sales are always post on this forum), and you can pick up some amazing deals.
Jul 6, 2008
931 posts
221 upvotes
GTA
I am a fan of club Monaco, some of their sale prices are incredible!!! Such as $40-60 shirts or $50-100 longsleeve/sweaters.

For pants, I am wearing lululemon ABC's or commission pants.
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2005
10041 posts
2667 upvotes
I shop mostly at Winners, The Bay (get a Bay Card for more discounts) and surprisingly Costco.

Costco has great clothing, usually the styles are pretty up to date. Got some slim jeans and decent henleys there before Christmas.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
1606 posts
479 upvotes
Toronto
Costco, Gap, Old Navy.. for more relaxed outfits. I don't know what type of clothes you're looking for though. I personally like the Gap. I also like the jeans at Costco. Of course, clothes is a personal preference so you'll probably have to go looking around a bit.

Unfortunately, you just missed the boxing day deals (no idea what the deals were though).
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
11276 posts
1886 upvotes
Honestly, OP you should look up some style guides first. Seems to me that if you're wearing UA sweatshirts every day, you haven't spent much or any time knowing how to properly pick out clothes for the look you're going for. So when you go to clothing stores, nothing catches your eye because you really don't know what you want. Trust me, I've been there.

Doesn't matter if you want to dress to attract the ladies or not look like a slob or look professional or a hype beast, there's likely a guide out there somewhere that will help you out. Then use places like Winners, Old Navy, H&M, etc to find that look you want for a good price.
Jan 16, 2009
125 posts
34 upvotes
Lots of good suggestions already. I'd probably rank Uniqlo the highest given what you're looking for. You can find pretty much anything there, quality to price ratio is very good, and it's not too fashion forward, but it's not boring/plain.

And winners/marshalls is another good one beause they carry so many brands, you're bound to find something decent there.